The Student Room Group

GCSE: ICT Edexcel 2015

Hello guys, I'm currently in Year 11 and will be taking a number of GCSE exams in May-June 2015, one of which is ICT.

I've decided to make this thread to help people/ share ideas and tips to achieve the very best. If you have a particular concern or need help regarding either the Unit 1 Exam (40%) or Unit 2 Coursework: 'Community Spirit' (60%), please feel free to comment and I or others will get back to you as soon as possible.

I've finished my Coursework a couple of weeks ago and got an A*, so if anyone would like help or need me to read over a few things to help you achieve the top marks, I will be happy to do so. You can PM me or post here.

Key Dates:

Unit 1 Exam: "Living In A Digital World" will take place on Wednesday May 13th 2015.

Please help spread this Thread around, I hope this thread comes in handy to many people. Thank you and good luck. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm doing CAB 'Music Festival' what you think the grade boundaries will be out of 80 for the CA and paper.
Reply 2
Original post by Shadoo
I'm doing CAB 'Music Festival' what you think the grade boundaries will be out of 80 for the CA and paper.

For the Unit 1 Exam (out of 80), the uniform mark (the standard required to gain a particular grade) is as follows:
A*= 72
A= 64
B= 56
C= 48

For the Unit 2 Controlled Assessment (out of 80), I'm not entirely sure. Last years Grade Boundaries (June 2014) were:
A*= 69
A= 59
B= 49
C= 39

The grade boundaries change every year but you should aim for the marks stated above. Hope this helped. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by MIST_123
For the Unit 1 Exam (out of 80), the uniform mark (the standard required to gain a particular grade) is as follows:
A*= 72
A= 64
B= 56
C= 48

For the Unit 2 Controlled Assessment (out of 80), I'm not entirely sure. Last years Grade Boundaries (June 2014) were:
A*= 69
A= 59
B= 49
C= 39

The grade boundaries change every year but you should aim for the marks stated above. Hope this helped. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats hardly realistic it isn't 90% marks it's 90% UMS for both units so the paper is 53/80 for an A*
Hi,
I am currently in Year 11 and doing the same coursework as you.
My deadline is on Friday the 27th and I've really fallen behind. Would it be okay if you could help me with the spreadsheet in Activity 2?
Thank you.
Reply 5
Hi,
I have only recently started learning the theory (40%) of the ICT GCSE which I'm sitting this summer. I have done the first section about 'personal digital devices' which seems like rather simple information and isn't too technical as most of it's common sense. However, I wondered whether the rest of the theory is similar to this first section or whether it's much more in-depth?

Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by Beanie :)
Hi,
I have only recently started learning the theory (40%) of the ICT GCSE which I'm sitting this summer. I have done the first section about 'personal digital devices' which seems like rather simple information and isn't too technical as most of it's common sense. However, I wondered whether the rest of the theory is similar to this first section or whether it's much more in-depth?

Thanks

Hello :smile:

Same here. I've revised the whole book and going through some topics in class at the moment. Have you got the Edexcel GCSE revision guide? If not I would highly recommend getting as it has everything you need to know for the exam.)

I would say that the rest of the topics are fairly easy/ not that hard however some topics such as Bandwidth, Latency, Legislation, Application Softwares and Communication Protocols are the ones that I find the most difficult as there is a lot of content to remember. So towards the end it gets a little in depth but not anything impossible. Hope this helps answer your question and good luck. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7

Same here. I've revised the whole book and going through some topics in class at the moment. Have you got the Edexcel GCSE revision guide? If not I would highly recommend getting as it has everything you need to know for the exam.)

I would say that the rest of the topics are fairly easy/ not that hard however some topics such as Bandwidth, Latency, Legislation, Application Softwares and Communication Protocols are the ones that I find the most difficult as there is a lot of content to remember. So towards the end it gets a little in depth but not anything impossible. Hope this helps answer your question and good luck. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, that's really helpful :smile:. I have got the textbook which I've been reading through and I've almost finished the second section so hopefully that will be useful as you said (it has been so far). Also, do you have any particular way of remembering some of the more in-depth information or do you just read through it?
Reply 8
Thanks, that's really helpful :smile:. I have got the textbook which I've been reading through and I've almost finished the second section so hopefully that will be useful as you said (it has been so far). Also, do you have any particular way of remembering some of the more in-depth information or do you just read through it?

No problem :smile: I tend to read through the content and then I make notes (basically pick out the main points and write them instead of copying out the whole page). I also make mind maps of the topic a few days later to see what I can remember. Hope this helped again, if you have any other questions please feel free to ask me anytime (either here or on PM, I'll do my best to reply and once again good luck with your exams. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey guys im doing this too
it says that the raw mark grade boundary last year for an A* was 49 but the UMS mark is 72

does this mean u only need 49 for an A* or do i need 72 out of 80 as i believe i can get about 60 but im confused to whether its UMS or raw marks
Original post by youreanutter
it says that the raw mark grade boundary last year for an A* was 49 but the UMS mark is 72

does this mean u only need 49 for an A* or do i need 72 out of 80 as i believe i can get about 60 but im confused to whether its UMS or raw marks

Hi,
looking at the grade boundaries I think it does mean 49/80 marks to get an A*. I don't know if this helps :smile: (I hope it does).

Good luck
Reply 11

I asked my teacher a few days ago and she said that last year you needed 69/80 Marks (not UMS) for an A* in the Unit 2 Controlled Assessment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12

I asked my teacher a few days ago and she said that last year you needed 69/80 Marks (not UMS) for an A* in the Unit 2 Controlled Assessment.

Oh and for the Exam I think you might be right. (49/80) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh okay thanks although i was talking about the exam? it says 48 raw marks but idk cos it says 72 UMS
Reply 14
GCSE Edexcel ICT is 60% CW and 40% exam right? So if I got an A in the CW, and an A* in the exam, is it possible to get an A* overall?

My ICT teacher has marked my coursework and said that I was one mark of an A*, which kinda pisses me off, so I was wondering if it's still possible to get an A*
oh okay thanks although i was talking about the exam? it says 48 raw marks but idk cos it says 72 UMS

Hello, I'm not sure whether you are still looking for an answer but if you are, I'm pretty sure that the raw mark means how many marks are needed out of the total amount of marks the paper is out of. This would mean that you need 48 marks out of 80. UMS I think is more of a percentage.

Hope this helps :smile:
Hello, I'm not sure whether you are still looking for an answer but if you are, I'm pretty sure that the raw mark means how many marks are needed out of the total amount of marks the paper is out of. This would mean that you need 48 marks out of 80. UMS I think is more of a percentage.

Hope this helps :smile:

oh okay thanks but wouldnt that be too easy?48/80 for an A*?
oh okay thanks but wouldnt that be too easy?48/80 for an A*?

That's what I thought but if it is only 48/80 for A* I'm quite happy about that :biggrin:
That's what I thought but if it is only 48/80 for A* I'm quite happy about that :biggrin:

are u sure thats what u need because if so i will be over the moon because i always get about 45 in past papers so i thought i was scrapping a C haha
Reply 19
Does anyone have access to last years GCSE ICT Unit 1 exam paper (June 2014)? :smile: Or if anyone knows the main topics the came up last year and the questions for the 6 Markers it would be a great help for revision. Many Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending