The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVI

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone, I'm going to see a doctor tomorrow after being referred to by my counsellor who insists that my depression is at a stage where I need to treat it with medication; is it really a good idea to start meds around 9 weeks before my A levels though?:dontknow:

How has everyone's experiences with meds been?
Original post by TheStoryteller
Hi everyone, I'm going to see a doctor tomorrow after being referred to by my counsellor who insists that my depression is at a stage where I need to treat it with medication; is it really a good idea to start meds around 9 weeks before my A levels though?:dontknow:

Generally side effects only last a couple of weeks if you get any, but ultimately its your choice and wether you think the benefits will outweigh the negatives...

If youv never been on meds before you will most likely be put on an SSRI such as citalopram, fluoxetine or sertraline (IIRC they are the main 3) so it may be worth looking them up

Posted from TSR Mobile
why is everything so difficult right now? can't cope.
Original post by Pathway
why is everything so difficult right now? can't cope.

sorry things are so hard :console:
Original post by ScaryScience
sorry things are so hard :console:

thnak you. :hugs: just feel like no one cares about me anf that i'm a waste of space, hate being on my own :cry2:

hope you're ok.
Been feeling particularly lonely recently, especially tonight. :frown:
Looks like I'll be spending tonight by myself again sigh
Original post by SassQueen13
Been feeling particularly lonely recently, especially tonight. :frown:
Looks like I'll be spending tonight by myself again sigh

:hugs:

Hope you're okay :h:
Original post by TheStoryteller

Hm, it depends. I met a couple, who said they only were able to learn/work, because of meds. Thus taking medication does not necessarily means, that your performance will go down. And waiting until you definitely need them, which could be just right before A Levels may not be a good idea as well. Nevertheless I would take care, that you also get therapy, because meds alone often can't fix it alone. (Or better said, insist on your "right" to get therapy, too.)

Just make sure, you get a lot opinions from people knowing you well, so that you take the right decision and not one affected by your depression. Of course general research is good, too.

Good luck!
Original post by Nathanielle
Hm, it depends. I met a couple, who said they only were able to learn/work, because of meds. Thus taking medication does not necessarily means, that your performance will go down. And waiting until you definitely need them, which could be just right before A Levels may not be a good idea as well. Nevertheless I would take care, that you also get therapy, because meds alone often can't fix it alone. (Or better said, insist on your "right" to get therapy, too.)

Just make sure, you get a lot opinions from people knowing you well, so that you take the right decision and not one affected by your depression. Of course general research is good, too.

Good luck!

Thank you this was very helpful :smile: I spoke to my sister and I honestly think it's better to use talk therapy for now and to just keep fighting as much as I can because one can never be truly sure what side effects meds will have on the person (in this case, me) so I think it's better to try to stay away as much as possible.

Nevertheless, I'll talk to the doctor tomorrow and hear him out and see how it goes from there.

Thanks!
Original post by PandaWho
Generally side effects only last a couple of weeks if you get any, but ultimately its your choice and wether you think the benefits will outweigh the negatives...

If youv never been on meds before you will most likely be put on an SSRI such as citalopram, fluoxetine or sertraline (IIRC they are the main 3) so it may be worth looking them up

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you I'll definitely have a look :redface:
Was buzzing after a great rehearsal this evening.

ED TW

Spoiler

I have had such an amazing day. :biggrin: :woo: :jive: I dont deserve to be friends with such awesomely good people. :colondollar:

Much love to all! :grouphugs: How are we? :love:
Original post by Pathway
thnak you. :hugs: just feel like no one cares about me anf that i'm a waste of space, hate being on my own :cry2:

hope you're ok.

A lot of people care about you, it can just be hard to see at times. I care about you. You're not alone.
Original post by sherbet_lemons7
I have had such an amazing day. :biggrin: :woo: :jive: I dont deserve to be friends with such awesomely good people. :colondollar:

Much love to all! :grouphugs: How are we? :love:

That's great to hear :hugs:
That's great to hear :hugs:

Thanks hun. :hugs: Sorry to hear about your uni being eejits again. :mad: Is there anything can be done? :frown: :console:
Pulled out the sofa bed in the living room so I can be next to my wife, which makes me feel pretty pathetic - I can't even lie in the bedroom on my own. Can't get any rest, despite getting only a couple of hours sleep. Feeling really agitated and keep getting the worst thoughts....can't get them out of my head no matter what I do. The whispering is near constant now, I can make out a few words and they scare me. Why do I have to be such a wimp?? :banghead:

The worst thing is I've convinced she's going to leave me. I wouldn't put up with me, why the **** should she?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sherbet_lemons7
Thanks hun. :hugs: Sorry to hear about your uni being eejits again. :mad: Is there anything can be done? :frown: :console:

I doubt it. its stupid, cause I'm just not well enough/really care enough to do much about it. at the end of the day, if its their policy, they aren't gonna change it for me.
Original post by Sabertooth
Pulled out the sofa bed in the living room so I can be next to my wife, which makes me feel pretty pathetic - I can't even lie in the bedroom on my own. Can't get any rest, despite getting only a couple of hours sleep. Feeling really agitated and keep getting the worst thoughts....can't get them out of my head no matter what I do. The whispering is near constant now, I can make out a few words and they scare me. Why do I have to be such a wimp?? :banghead:

The worst thing is I've convinced she's going to leave me. I wouldn't put up with me, why the **** should she?

Your not a wimp! I think that would scare most people! I sometimes cant be in the bedroom on my own even to the point where when i was at uni my housemates had gone home, night time noises came and i woke rory up at like 4am and virtually forced him to get the first train to save me!! Now thats being a wimp!

Shes not going to leave you! Shes with you in sickness and in health and she loves you!

:jumphug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
i literally despair. spoke to some woman at mitigation and she was absolutely horrible. apparently because there hasn't been a significant deterioration in my health, and this is a long term condition, I wont be getting mitigation. I literally ****ing despair. so people who typically have mild depression, but then go through a few days of moderate depression get more sympathy and arrangements and advantages than someone who suffers every single waking second of every day with moderate level depression and BPD. where is the logic in this? I don't even know what to do. its like they feel like I should be 'used' to it, or something. so now ive automatically failed 20% of my module. ffs.

Have you got a disability advisor at uni? I would go to them and/or the SU - they will be well equipped (disability service especially) to fight this for you so that you don't have to do it alone. Hugs and sympathy - it sounds v unfair.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest