The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Pay 1500 / year for a 1.6L Golf although this is with a black / little box. Even then it was 3000 -- a lot but not sure how you're being quoted 8000 :laugh:
Original post by Depleted
Nah ethnicity really does make a difference (e.g because Asians drive like ****heads premiums are more).

Yeah it'll be hard to find, there's not too many around really. Defo put your dad down as main driver with you as a named, it should make it a lot cheaper if you call up or keep looking.

Reallly?! :eek: I've never heard of this but I'm not so sure the that's the case don't worry. Nah from what what I've noticed Asian drivers aren't bad.

Yeah buddy, will hopefully solidify driving by the end of the month. HAVE to be driving by summer though, I wanna do summery things then post **** on instragram and tumblr like the cool kids do :moon: :tongue:
Original post by The Assassin
Pay 1500 / year for a 1.6L Golf although this is with a black / little box. Even then it was 3000 -- a lot but not sure how you're being quoted 8000 :laugh:

Poverty black box. Srs would never consider that ****
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Reallly?! :eek: I've never heard of this but I'm not so sure the that's the case don't worry. Nah from what what I've noticed Asian drivers aren't bad.

Yeah buddy, will hopefully solidify driving by the end of the month. HAVE to be driving by summer though, I wanna do summery things then post **** on instragram and tumblr like the cool kids do :moon: :tongue:

Pls drive me around. You, me, Assassin road trip

They're so ****, but it's the only way the insurance is affordable :frown:

Oh, I see how it is :colonhash:
Original post by TornadoGR4
They're so ****, but it's the only way the insurance is affordable :frown:

Oh, I see how it is :colonhash:

Sorry, there's only space for one Leeds boy.

Thing about black box is an accident as you're ****ed because of so many **** conditions that void cover (speeding etc.)

Conditions aren't even that bad tbf. Can still drive at night. Only thing is not every day (night), and not able to go past speed limits (like plenty of people would do on a roads or motorways -- rarely go on the latter anyways)

but yeah could do without. Only way to lower insurance though haha
(edited 9 years ago)
Conditions aren't even that bad tbf. Can still drive at night. Only thing is not every day (night), and not able to go past speed limits (like plenty of people would do on a roads or motorways -- rarely go on the latter anyways)

but yeah could do without. Only way to lower insurance though haha

Yeah I get you, for last resort I'd do but if I could avoid I would.

The speed is the single main issue as they will **** you over if you go even a little bit above the limit.

Spoiler

Cheapest for me, without dad, without black box :colonhash:
(edited 9 years ago)

Cheapest for me, without dad, without black box :colonhash:

Black box or the bus?

Easy choice, amirite :cool:
Black box or the bus?

Easy choice, amirite :cool:

Thanks for your other quote btw, is £190 a fair price? Could go for a teensy bit more imo.

Lol you're right, I'm a slow driver anyway. :lol:

20 minute motorway ride to uni tho :frown: :dry:
Thanks for your other quote btw, is £190 a fair price? Could go for a teensy bit more imo.

Lol you're right, I'm a slow driver anyway. :lol:

20 minute motorway ride to uni tho :frown: :dry:

£190 a month? It's steep but short term pain, long term gain. I'd look at engine size between 1L-1.2L, base models etc.

Your parent's paying for it?

I've got that box and I'm supposed to stick to the limit but I rarely do. I don't go round speeding or anything, just the limits up here are slower than what they should be, I go with the flow of traffic. My only condition is I can't go 100mph (as if my piece of **** scrap could get to that anyway) and I can't go 50% over the limit of the road I'm on.
Is it your sole car, or a share with guardians or someone? Impressive to have a car at 19 tbh, I miss driving so much :frown: Guessing you have to pay more for an auto also, finding a cheap one will be hard (EDIT: just seen yours). Tbh though, auto is where it's at, **** changing gears I'm too lazy for that.

Yeah it's crazy. Can't help but feel my ethnicity doesn't help, will just have to wait until 21 though.

loooooooooooool
What do you guys think about the the dealerships that offer free insurance? On Peugeot's three year lease plans, they give three years free insurance: 'just add fuel'. You have to be 21 though, and have two years NCB. Apparently when you go to the dealership, the salesman just wants to make his commission so he lets it slide. VW offer the first year as free insurance. Builds up no claims at least, and you have a brand new (crappy) car. But you have to muster up some money for the deposit, and stay on top of those monthly bills.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kenan and Kel
What do you guys think about the the dealerships that offer free insurance? On Peugeot's three year lease plans, they give three years free insurance: 'just add fuel'. You have to be 21 though, and have two years NCB. Apparently when you go to the dealership, the salesman just wants to make his commission so he lets it slide. VW offer the first year as free insurance. Builds up no claims at least, and you have a brand new (crappy) car. But you have to muster up some money for the deposit, and stay on top of those monthly bills.

It can be worth it, bearing in mind a lot of dealerships will incorporate that fee into the price of the car though. When my brother bought his he was under 21, so VW just knocked off a grand or so from the price.

Seen a few good deals though, poverty cars however. It was Vauxhall I think, had a deal on for new drivers (I.e anyone with full licence) being eligible for the free insurance.
It can be worth it, bearing in mind a lot of dealerships will incorporate that fee into the price of the car though. When my brother bought his he was under 21, so VW just knocked off a grand or so from the price.

Seen a few good deals though, poverty cars however. It was Vauxhall I think, had a deal on for new drivers (I.e anyone with full licence) being eligible for the free insurance.

Yeah the cars are ****e; biggest problem IMO. Don't want be to 24 and driving a Peugeot 107 ffs. Polo is tempting but even that is only like 90 brake horse.
£190 a month? It's steep but short term pain, long term gain. I'd look at engine size between 1L-1.2L, base models etc.

Your parent's paying for it?

I've got that box and I'm supposed to stick to the limit but I rarely do. I don't go round speeding or anything, just the limits up here are slower than what they should be, I go with the flow of traffic. My only condition is I can't go 100mph (as if my piece of **** scrap could get to that anyway) and I can't go 50% over the limit of the road I'm on.

Nooooo lol, you said webuyanycar's giving you only £190 for your car. I said would you be happy with that? :smile:

If I can somehow find less than 1k insurance (in other words impossible) I would pay the annual price myself. If its too expensive to pay for it upfront just like that and I have to pay monthly then parent's will handle it but I would obviously contribute sometimes.

Funnily enough, I've just googled what a black box looks like. Is that it? It's some fat ugly black camera thing sitting on your windshield. I thought it would look like an actual black box, literally. Then they'd put it somewhere in your boot. Interesting...
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah Peugeot 107 is poverty vehicle.

Kay then :dry:
Looking at cars mane. Will get one soon.

Might get a Peugeot 307 or something like that. Anything is better than taking public transport.

Latest