The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2680
Original post by izzydizzyyy
Just remembered that Marjon said you may have to relocate for placements - that kinda worries me! Also, anyone hoping to take their car to uni? DMU is like £650 for a years parking permit ahhhh
That is the same with DMU though. Each university provides placements depending on their region of the UK. For example at DMU you could be doing placements in different cities up North. So I do think the fact you have to travel to placements is virtually the same at every uni. I'm not taking my car for my first year.. Too much hassle!! My little polo will need to be snuggled up in my garage haha!
Original post by LT1508
That is the same with DMU though. Each university provides placements depending on their region of the UK. For example at DMU you could be doing placements in different cities up North. So I do think the fact you have to travel to placements is virtually the same at every uni. I'm not taking my car for my first year.. Too much hassle!! My little polo will need to be snuggled up in my garage haha!

Unfortunately I feel my little Megane will be trekking to the Midlands... It would be bad enough relying on public transport for travelling from Newcastle let alone commuting to placements.
Quick question guys,

have re you all thought of what you'll do when you graduate?

like obviously there's being a SaLT practitioner...

a part of me is considering postgrad Med as on option if I enjoy the holistic and placement side of things!

Maybe I'm getting a bit ahead of myself.
Original post by LT1508

Mmm I dunno you know! DMU just said you may have to travel for placements. Don't think they mentioned relocating! Ah fair enough yeah I may just take my car for second year too!
Original post by JordanC55
Yeah I can't be bothered to wait anymore, may as well save the money I'd spend on going to the interview to go to another open day at DMU haha!

Yeah good idea!!
Aww I'm so happy you've found your 'home' for the next few years!

I got a reply from Leeds which said That all decisions will be made by the 31st March
Which didn't actually answer my question of - as I haven't heard anything about an interview and the last is the 11th March, does this mean I have been rejected?!

I'm frustrated with them to be honest! I don't know what to do with anything anymore
*has a slight melt down*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Higlet
Yeah good idea!!
Aww I'm so happy you've found your 'home' for the next few years!

I got a reply from Leeds which said That all decisions will be made by the 31st March
Which didn't actually answer my question of - as I haven't heard anything about an interview and the last is the 11th March, does this mean I have been rejected?!

I'm frustrated with them to be honest! I don't know what to do with anything anymore
*has a slight melt down*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. It was really weird today saying "when I go to Leicester" and looking at the accommodation and I kinda realised I was actually going there!

How's your search going then?

yeah that's all they gave me constantly, in the end I just felt like I was chasing my tail constantly and since I hadn't even been there I didn't know whether I'd even get that 'feeling'
Hi guys, really random but does anybody know what the grades came down to at various university's for clearing last year or the year before? Like leeds and cardiff met
Original post by luci444
Hi guys, really random but does anybody know what the grades came down to at various university's for clearing last year or the year before? Like leeds and cardiff met

Cardiff is 320 presently I think (ABB) which I think would go to like 280 (BBC) and Leeds is like 320 as well but I think that as long as you meet their basics, I.e B in like Eng Lang or Biology you'll get in for like BCC (260)

It's down to your statement I guess tho.
I just firmed Marjon ahhhhh!!!!!! (DMU as insurance) so so so excited but oh my god - whaaaaat. Sorry, little bit of freaking out over here!
Cardiff is 320 presently I think (ABB) which I think would go to like 280 (BBC) and Leeds is like 320 as well but I think that as long as you meet their basics, I.e B in like Eng Lang or Biology you'll get in for like BCC (260)

It's down to your statement I guess tho.

Oh wow😮 has it previously gone down to BCC before? I had an offer from leeds and DMU within a few days after my interview and cardiff just gave me an offer, do you think I would stand a better chance with having a offer from the university I go into clearing for?

Thanks for answering this by the way! I've been looking everywhere about clearing but couldn't find anything!
Original post by luci444
Oh wow������ has it previously gone down to BCC before? I had an offer from leeds and DMU within a few days after my interview and cardiff just gave me an offer, do you think I would stand a better chance with having a offer from the university I go into clearing for?

Thanks for answering this by the way! I've been looking everywhere about clearing but couldn't find anything!

I just get the impression that unis like BCU and Leeds aren't particuarly firm on their entry requirements; I was stalking last years thread and saw a girl wasn't outrightly rejected despite getting BCD with BCU as her firm; when applying to Leeds I only got BCC in my A-levels (I've done first year of Linguistics to make up for it) and they said my A-levels, because of my B in Eng Lang met their entry requirements - so I assume they'd accept BCC.

i get the impression places like MMU, DMU, Uni of Manc, Newcastle, Sheffield etc. would be a lot firmer with grades so I think they'd be more along the lines of one grade less max.
Original post by izzydizzyyy
I just firmed Marjon ahhhhh!!!!!! (DMU as insurance) so so so excited but oh my god - whaaaaat. Sorry, little bit of freaking out over here!

CONGRATS!

good luck, and if it doesn't go as planned we'll be classmates

so you win either way :wink:
I just get the impression that unis like BCU and Leeds aren't particuarly firm on their entry requirements; I was stalking last years thread and saw a girl wasn't outrightly rejected despite getting BCD with BCU as her firm; when applying to Leeds I only got BCC in my A-levels (I've done first year of Linguistics to make up for it) and they said my A-levels, because of my B in Eng Lang met their entry requirements - so I assume they'd accept BCC.

i get the impression places like MMU, DMU, Uni of Manc, Newcastle, Sheffield etc. would be a lot firmer with grades so I think they'd be more along the lines of one grade less max.

Ah okay I see, fair enough which other two subjects did you do?

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by luci444
Ah okay I see, fair enough which other two subjects did you do?

It's alright, I did Religious and Art which are surprisingly relatable to SaLT as I discovered in my interview
It's alright, I did Religious and Art which are surprisingly relatable to SaLT as I discovered in my interview

Oh that's a good range of subjects there:smile: I do english lang and lit, psychology and sociology, does that mean is need to get at least a B in these subjects? For clearing
Original post by luci444
Oh that's a good range of subjects there:smile: I do english lang and lit, psychology and sociology, does that mean is need to get at least a B in these subjects? For clearing

If you get a B in any of them I'd say you'll be fine, ideally at least 2 Bs but since they're all preferred subjects it's easier for you!

It's just about knowing how to spin your subjects, like I went on a bs trail about how Art gives me an appreciation for varying opinions and other cultures, both of which would help as a qualified practisioner.

Why are you asking about clearing if you don't mind me asking?
If you get a B in any of them I'd say you'll be fine, ideally at least 2 Bs but since they're all preferred subjects it's easier for you!

It's just about knowing how to spin your subjects, like I went on a bs trail about how Art gives me an appreciation for varying opinions and other cultures, both of which would help as a qualified practisioner.

Why are you asking about clearing if you don't mind me asking?

I'm just really worried if I don't get my grades that's all and just wanted to know whether I had a chance in clearing at all:smile: ah okay I understand, haha that answer sounds really good
Original post by luci444
I'm just really worried if I don't get my grades that's all and just wanted to know whether I had a chance in clearing at all:smile: ah okay I understand, haha that answer sounds really good

What are you predicted grades, and I assume you have a couple of offers?
Thanks. It was really weird today saying "when I go to Leicester" and looking at the accommodation and I kinda realised I was actually going there!

How's your search going then?

yeah that's all they gave me constantly, in the end I just felt like I was chasing my tail constantly and since I hadn't even been there I didn't know whether I'd even get that 'feeling'

Yeah! I know exactly how you feel!

Aww I bet deciding has made it even more real that you're going to do speech therapy!!
I think I'm going to hold it out until the end of March (even though it's fairly evident now that I'm not going to get a place!)

Still trying to work out the pros and cons of Birmingham and Manchester Met - it's such a tough decision!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by luci444

When I went to an open day at Leeds, they suggested that they weren't going to be just as flexible with grades this year!
Also, another thing to think about Is that Leeds I don't think have as many places this year, so they may not end up in clearing. Whereas Birmingham do have about 70 places this year and are more likely to go into clearing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest