The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JordanC55
What are you predicted grades, and I assume you have a couple of offers?

Mine are BBB but my offers are ABB
Original post by Higlet
When I went to an open day at Leeds, they suggested that they weren't going to be just as flexible with grades this year!
Also, another thing to think about Is that Leeds I don't think have as many places this year, so they may not end up in clearing. Whereas Birmingham do have about 70 places this year and are more likely to go into clearing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay yeah I do remember leeds saying that actually, but apparently they've gone into extra, does that mean they haven't met their requirements yet?
Original post by luci444
Ah okay yeah I do remember leeds saying that actually, but apparently they've gone into extra, does that mean they haven't met their requirements yet?

I really don't know - I applied way back in October and haven't heard anything about an interview yet! So I'm slightly annoyed they have gone into extra!!

I recon they're just waiting to see if there's any better people out there and if there is, I'll be rejected if there isn't I may have an opportunity.. I don't know, I can't figure out their tactics haha!

Oh and Birmingham City have a BBB entry requirement - I don't know if you've applied there but I've just seen your post saying that's your predicted grades!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Higlet
I really don't know - I applied way back in October and haven't heard anything about an interview yet! So I'm slightly annoyed they have gone into extra!!

I recon they're just waiting to see if there's any better people out there and if there is, I'll be rejected if there isn't I may have an opportunity.. I don't know, I can't figure out their tactics haha!

Oh and Birmingham City have a BBB entry requirement - I don't know if you've applied there but I've just seen your post saying that's your predicted grades!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry at least you Havnt got rejected! I got rejected from MMU within a week, I know I didn't do so well in that one, yes I've applied to birmingham I have an interview in a few days! Have you applied to cardiff?
Original post by luci444
Don't worry at least you Havnt got rejected! I got rejected from MMU within a week, I know I didn't do so well in that one, yes I've applied to birmingham I have an interview in a few days! Have you applied to cardiff?

Oh no! That sucks! At least you didn't think you'd done well and then not got in, that would have been worse! I also applied to MMU and the interview I thought was fairly difficult - maybe I just wasn't expecting those questions!

Good luck with the Birmingham interview!
No I haven't applied to Cardiff! - I wasn't sure if I'd get any funding so I didn't apply!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Higlet
Oh no! That sucks! At least you didn't think you'd done well and then not got in, that would have been worse! I also applied to MMU and the interview I thought was fairly difficult - maybe I just wasn't expecting those questions!

Good luck with the Birmingham interview!
No I haven't applied to Cardiff! - I wasn't sure if I'd get any funding so I didn't apply!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah Cardiff is nhs funded:smile: and thanks good luck to you to!
Anyone else who has firmed Marjon...where are you thinking accommodation-wise? Not sure whether to go into halls or request the on campus houses... SO MANY DECISIONS!
Reply 2707
Original post by izzydizzyyy
Mmm I dunno you know! DMU just said you may have to travel for placements. Don't think they mentioned relocating! Ah fair enough yeah I may just take my car for second year too!

what do you mean by "relocate"? I recall them saying you may have to stay in a hotel depending on the distance but I don't recall them saying you would be "relocating" ?? :eek:
Reply 2708
Anyone else who has firmed Marjon...where are you thinking accommodation-wise? Not sure whether to go into halls or request the on campus houses... SO MANY DECISIONS!

Have you firmed Marjon now ? :') I'm still deciding but I know wherever I go I want to be in halls for my first year! :smile:
Original post by LT1508
what do you mean by "relocate"? I recall them saying you may have to stay in a hotel depending on the distance but I don't recall them saying you would be "relocating" ?? :eek:

I recall Marjon specifically using the word "relocate" and talking about contracts with uni accommodation and renting somewhere else to stay at whilst on placement. I assume they were talking about block placements though - so hopefully won't affect first year.
Original post by LT1508
Have you firmed Marjon now ? :') I'm still deciding but I know wherever I go I want to be in halls for my first year! :smile:

YUP! I firmed at like 1am this morning. Proper yolo moment - but I'm so happy I've done it!!! FIRM IT! :wink: Yeah I'm thinking I may just go to halls for the experience! Even though I'm 21 and feeling like everyone else may be 18 haha eeeek!
Reply 2711
YUP! I firmed at like 1am this morning. Proper yolo moment - but I'm so happy I've done it!!! FIRM IT! :wink: Yeah I'm thinking I may just go to halls for the experience! Even though I'm 21 and feeling like everyone else may be 18 haha eeeek!
I love that - "a yolo moment" haha! I'm still so stuck! I'm just constantly making lists of pro's and cons! Age doesn't matter and 21 isn't anywhere near old! Just means you have more experience of partying to pass on:wink: !!!
Original post by LT1508
I love that - "a yolo moment" haha! I'm still so stuck! I'm just constantly making lists of pro's and cons! Age doesn't matter and 21 isn't anywhere near old! Just means you have more experience of partying to pass on:wink: !!!

It really was! I'd been stalling all day attempting to do it - and I was lying in bed and just went RIGHT sat up and did it!!!
I obsessed over my pros and cons list...cos lets be honest, there's not many cons for any uni. What is your other choice again?
HAHA I like your way of thinking!!! :colondollar:
Reply 2713
It really was! I'd been stalling all day attempting to do it - and I was lying in bed and just went RIGHT sat up and did it!!!
I obsessed over my pros and cons list...cos lets be honest, there's not many cons for any uni. What is your other choice again?
HAHA I like your way of thinking!!! :colondollar:
I know if I do that as soon as I click "firm" and it gets sent off I will think oh no!! Wrong decision!! My other choice is DMU, I LOVE both which is what is making it so difficult!! I'm a baby in my year, not 18 until August so I need people to show me the tricks of the trade!! :wink:
Original post by LT1508
I know if I do that as soon as I click "firm" and it gets sent off I will think oh no!! Wrong decision!! My other choice is DMU, I LOVE both which is what is making it so difficult!! I'm a baby in my year, not 18 until August so I need people to show me the tricks of the trade!! :wink:

AH so you have the same decision as I had RIGHT! Well the extra employ-ability Marjon leaves you with being qualified to work in dysphagia when you graduate kinda swayed me! Plus I like the fact it's a bigger department :smile: But it was the hardest decision, DMU looks equally as amazing! And perhaps once you turn 18 you'll want to be living in the city hahah. Good luck with the decision though. It's all so very exciting!

I feel like you should just keep riding the YOLO train until you arrive at halls! Gotta get the full experience man!
Original post by JordanC55
I feel like you should just keep riding the YOLO train until you arrive at halls! Gotta get the full experience man!

HAHA very true!!! I deffo want to be a drunken mess at points otherwise it's questionable that you're really a uni student... YOLO
Original post by luci444
Hi guys, really random but does anybody know what the grades came down to at various university's for clearing last year or the year before? Like leeds and cardiff met

Concentrate more on trying to get the grades you need - places in clearing for SLT are quite few and far between. There were a few more than normal last year - think BCU and City were in there. How flexible they are on accepting you if you don't exactly meet the offer seems to vary - some unis are really strict but others seem to accept students who at least meet the points score (i.e. offer BBB getting AAC)

Think as far as Extra is concerned the unis have to ask to be taken out of it - reckon the ones in there are on a "fishing trip" just in case!
HAHA very true!!! I deffo want to be a drunken mess at points otherwise it's questionable that you're really a uni student... YOLO

Exaectly! You need to proper love life hahahaha!
Original post by LT1508
I know if I do that as soon as I click "firm" and it gets sent off I will think oh no!! Wrong decision!! My other choice is DMU, I LOVE both which is what is making it so difficult!!

Some good advice I was given once is to toss a coin...and see if you're disappointed by the result. It worked surprisingly well for me. :tongue:

If you love both then you're likely to have a great experience at both, so agonising as the choice feels now it probably won't matter too much in the grand scheme of things. Good luck with whatever you decide. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest