The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ParadoxSocks
I had another trainee and it was brilliant to have him for support and we bounced ideas off each other and suggested interesting things to be getting on with but then he left and I was quite heartbroken.

I was told yesterday that I'm getting a new lady trainee and now I'm like a child waiting for her baby sister to be born. It means I have to share my office again but ill take less space for somebody in the same position as me any day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have an office???:eek:
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
You have an office???:eek:

It's not a big office but it's mine :yep: The departmental office is a bit too small to squeeze somebody else into so they cleared out an empty office and put me in there. I still wander out at breaks but it's nice to have my own little bit of space to process stuff in.
It's not a big office but it's mine :yep: The departmental office is a bit too small to squeeze somebody else into so they cleared out an empty office and put me in there. I still wander out at breaks but it's nice to have my own little bit of space to process stuff in.

In 30 years, I have never had my own office!
In 30 years, I have never had my own office!

I've heard that from a lot of people... I'll have to work on not becoming too attached.
I've heard that from a lot of people... I'll have to work on not becoming too attached.

Indeed - you are being spoiled!:tongue:
Indeed - you are being spoiled!:tongue:

:biggrin: It definitely make up for last placement. I didn't have anywhere to work at all while I was there.
:biggrin: It definitely make up for last placement. I didn't have anywhere to work at all while I was there.

Make the most of it. You will have to fight like a cornered tiger to get one in your real job.
Original post by Airfairy
Does anyone have another trainee at their school in their department? We have eight trainees at my school, but we are all in different subjects, however my subject mentor told me we are getting someone else in my subject. I don't know how common it is, but it has annoyed me. My mentor only has two frees a week and I struggle to catch her for feedback as it is, without having another trainee to balance that with. I also feel that it will make things competitive.

Don't you have 2 trainees from your University at the same school. We were always put in pairs. We each had our own mentor but at the same school in the same department. Usually we actually got observed by the the oher mentor as well as we took a comination of all the teacher's classes.... I am of course talking about Secondary School.
Original post by Sportycb
Don't you have 2 trainees from your University at the same school. We were always put in pairs. We each had our own mentor but at the same school in the same department. Usually we actually got observed by the the oher mentor as well as we took a comination of all the teacher's classes.... I am of course talking about Secondary School.

There were two of us but in different departments

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemmam
Yeah I also think its maybe for the best; I really annoyed its due to their mistake though.

I second everyone else. Just say you can't go, they can't make you. There is nothing they can do to harm you more!

Also, do whatever you need to to make yourself feel better. This might be going away, going to local events, seeing friends, going for a walk on the beach... Don't feel guilty for living your life and making yourself happy. If you had lost your voice or got a cold people would tell you to take medicine. With this kind of anxiety making yourself happy and relaxed is your medicine and it doesn't invalidate the fact you aren't up to going on to placement etc.

Does anyone have another trainee at their school in their department? We have eight trainees at my school, but we are all in different subjects, however my subject mentor told me we are getting someone else in my subject. I don't know how common it is, but it has annoyed me. My mentor only has two frees a week and I struggle to catch her for feedback as it is, without having another trainee to balance that with. I also feel that it will make things competitive.

If you've been signed off you can't go in, so they have no right to require you to, and they should know that. Don't worry, just relax now - you've been signed off, and you have a nice amount of time to do some thinking about what you want to do come September. Sorry that you've been messed around so much, I really feel for you. I hope that you have a better experience if you choose to start afresh!

On my pgce the first placement is paired (primary, we have the same class) and for the second one I had another trainee in the same year group. It was actually really nice to share ideas and experiences, although on the second one we had different classes/mentors which allowed time still.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx

On my pgce the first placement is paired (primary, we have the same class) and for the second one I had another trainee in the same year group. It was actually really nice to share ideas and experiences, although on the second one we had different classes/mentors which allowed time still.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I married my fellow trainee.
Original post by kpwxx
I second everyone else. Just say you can't go, they can't make you. There is nothing they can do to harm you more!

Also, do whatever you need to to make yourself feel better. This might be going away, going to local events, seeing friends, going for a walk on the beach... Don't feel guilty for living your life and making yourself happy. If you had lost your voice or got a cold people would tell you to take medicine. With this kind of anxiety making yourself happy and relaxed is your medicine and it doesn't invalidate the fact you aren't up to going on to placement etc.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

She never asked me to go in in the end; she just emailed me a suspension form to complete. As I said earlier I'm going to my boyfriend's for a few days (he lives a couple of hours away from me and we weren't suppose to be meeting this weekend but he said I could if I wanted to). I've also made an appointment to see the careers advisor at my undergrad university and booked myself a place on a free one day course at a local women's centre I saw advertised in a couple of weeks. I've also still got my bus pas paid up until Easter so might use it to visit a few places I've been meaning to visit but never had the time to.

I had another trainee from a different institution in the same department, and it was really nice to have someone else to compare experiences with and bounce ideas off of. Plus, it meant you didn't feel like the only new person in an established department, which was nice (and you could bitch about any classes you both taught XD). However, we had different mentors and I think it would have been difficult for us both to have shared one (even though my mentor was useless, at least I knew she wasn't spending all her time helping the other trainee...). Of course the school then interviewed each of us for the same job, but we continued getting on throughout and even helped one another with the application letter etc.

Being on my own in my department now, I'd say it was a real advantage to have someone at the same stage as me to talk over my experiences with.
Reply 5373
I felt like I was reading my own diary when reading some of these comments.

I've lost a lot of my confidence during these past few weeks.

My mentor wrote some informal obs notes for my lessons and she had a page full of everything I did wrong - she didn't even mention one thing I did right, then she started to pick grammar issues out of my PowePoint. My last mentor, gave me the good then things I could improve on a lot of constructive criticism.

She also gave me 3 classes worth of books to mark for her - I felt like a piece of the furniture the way I'm being given these tasks, when I offered a suggestion for one of the lessons the HOD was teaching as a plenary to save her time, she said, can you close my PowerPoint - and went red in the face.

I feel so lost in this school, PCM is sooo weird - was walking down the corridor the other day and he looked at me and switched directions, literally ran! He smiles at all the other staff but not me - before someone says it's in my head - it's not, he was smiling at my mentor and I was standing right next to her, I smiled (I'm generally a smiley person anyway) and he refused to acknowledge my existence.

The kids are actually fine, not a problem, but it's the staff that are putting me off. I am seriously questioning continuing with this although I only have 9 weeks left.. *sighs*

^^ Sound like a right moaner lol - sorry needed a place to vent, don't feel like anyone understands.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sam89
I felt like I was reading my own diary when reading some of these comments.

I've lost a lot of my confidence during these past few weeks.

My mentor wrote some informal obs notes for my lessons and she had a page full of everything I did wrong - she didn't even mention one thing I did right, then she started to pick grammar issues out of my PowePoint. My last mentor, gave me the good then things I could improve on a lot of constructive criticism.

She also gave me 3 classes worth of books to mark for her - I felt like a piece of the furniture the way I'm being given these tasks, when I offered a suggestion for one of the lessons the HOD was teaching as a plenary to save her time, she said, can you close my PowerPoint - and went red in the face.

I feel so lost in this school, PCM is sooo weird - was walking down the corridor the other day and he looked at me and switched directions, literally ran! He smiles at all the other staff but not me - before someone says it's in my head - it's not, he was smiling at my mentor and I was standing right next to her, I smiled (I'm generally a smiley person anyway) and he refused to acknowledge my existence.

The kids are actually fine, not a problem, but it's the staff that are putting me off. I am seriously questioning continuing with this although I only have 9 weeks left.. *sighs*

^^ Sound like a right moaner lol - sorry needed a place to vent, don't feel like anyone understands.

I think most people know how that feels. Mentors are a very mixed bag. Some are very supportive and very helpful. While others are not! They seem to think you are a free assistant and a way to boost their own ego by putting you down (if they don't like you). Although it must be said there are more of tbe latter than the latter.

Have you tried speaking to your University about it? I fell out with my mentor on one of my placements. They other trainee with me she loved and me... well she didn't like me from the start. I don't know why. I think because unlike the other trainee I was very different to her personality wise.
...Anyway, one Friday evening it became too much and I phone the lecturer in charge of the placements saying it was too much and I didn't think I could keep doing this. He was very nice and helpful. Firstly he gave me some advice to deal with the situation and arranged a 'Supportive Visit'. It was useful and summed it up. It was no where near a good lesson at all! However the lady who came in to visit from the Uni (I had never met her before), gave was kind and said it wasn't the best but it was OK. She said I would be fine. She gave me great advice and said if I just cut down the time of my introduction at the start the rest would fall into place.

It completely summed it up when she asked to see my lesson plan because it was with my mentor. I was feeling happy and confident (for the first time in ages), saw my mentor who chucked the lesson plan at me and said "that was a disaster, wasn't it?"!!! I didn't see her for 2 days after that.
Reply 5375
Original post by Sportycb
I think most people know how that feels. Mentors are a very mixed bag. Some are very supportive and very helpful. While others are not! They seem to think you are a free assistant and a way to boost their own ego by putting you down (if they don't like you). Although it must be said there are more of tbe latter than the latter.

Have you tried speaking to your University about it? I fell out with my mentor on one of my placements. They other trainee with me she loved and me... well she didn't like me from the start. I don't know why. I think because unlike the other trainee I was very different to her personality wise.
...Anyway, one Friday evening it became too much and I phone the lecturer in charge of the placements saying it was too much and I didn't think I could keep doing this. He was very nice and helpful. Firstly he gave me some advice to deal with the situation and arranged a 'Supportive Visit'. It was useful and summed it up. It was no where near a good lesson at all! However the lady who came in to visit from the Uni (I had never met her before), gave was kind and said it wasn't the best but it was OK. She said I would be fine. She gave me great advice and said if I just cut down the time of my introduction at the start the rest would fall into place.

It completely summed it up when she asked to see my lesson plan because it was with my mentor. I was feeling happy and confident (for the first time in ages), saw my mentor who chucked the lesson plan at me and said "that was a disaster, wasn't it?"!!! I didn't see her for 2 days after that.

Wow - what a bitter moo!

I will stick it out for a while, and then if it seems to be too overwhelming may call him and tell him the situation.

My last placement my mentor was okay she had a lot on her plate because she was also head of 6th form but she made time to give me constructive feedback, I felt confident in my teaching as time went by.. I guess as someone previously said mentors aren't always the best people for the job. I know someone else on my course who's mentor has given them 6 hours of teaching because he wants them to take their time and also paid for them to go to a voice coach to project voice better and have one to one lessons with the drama teacher for better body language! I'm not expecting that but that is the definition of supportive!

He's obviously found areas the trainee teacher could improve in and not only suggested ways to improve but also provided him with the resources to do it.

Again, I know that expecting the world to be fair is a rather naive attitude but surely they must have been in our shoes once upon a time - since when has "that was pure garbage" ever helped shape a good teacher.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sam89

Again, I know that expecting the world to be fair is a rather naive attitude but surely they must have been in our shoes once upon a time - since when has "that was pure garbage" ever helped shape a good teacher.

Very rarely, and it is a massive shame that some mentors (and I speak as someone who has been one for 2 universities) seem to completely forget that the same principles they use in the classroom apply just the same to teaching new teachers.
So my rule for weekends is not to work on friday evenings or all day saturday so that my husband and i can spend quality time together and i can have a wind down (I used to suffer from anxiety so need to have a break to make sure it doesnt kick back in) but ive just spent today dwelling on how much i have to do tomorrow, god i cant wait for easter and a break, i just feel like ive been pulled in every direction :/
Me too. I've been working most of the day today and have an essay to do tomorrow. I'm just on auto-pilot now to get through this thing. I'm not even phased by my bad classes now as I have switched off emotionally and know I won't have to see them again next year.
Original post by bonniex123
Me too. I've been working most of the day today and have an essay to do tomorrow. I'm just on auto-pilot now to get through this thing. I'm not even phased by my bad classes now as I have switched off emotionally and know I won't have to see them again next year.

I wish i could, I still sob after all of my poor lessons. My husband and I have been holding off trying for a baby because he doesnt want it to effect my career but i had one of the teachers the other day tell me just to start trying before life gets too stressful and we just arent able any more :frown:
I knew how hard this would be but jeez im still an emotional wreck all the time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending