The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Here are the words of Non-Muslims about the Quran(including translators):

"From the literary point of view, the Koran is regarded as a specimen of the purest Arabic...It has been said that in some cases grammarians have adopted their rules to agree with certain phr ases and expressions used in it, and that though several attempts have been made to produce a work equal to it as far as elegant writing is concerned, none has as yet ucceeded"
F.F. Arbuthnot, The Construction of the Bible and the Koran, London 1885, p5

It is confessedly the standard of the Arabic tongue... The style of the Koran is generally beautiful and fluent... and in many places, especially where the majesty and attributes of God are described, sublime and magnificent ... He succeeded so well, and so strangely captivated the minds of his audience, that several of his opponents thought it the effect of witchcraft and enchantment.
George Sale, The Koran: The Preliminaiy Discourse, London, 1891, p47 48

The truth is I do not find any understanding author who controverts the elegance of the Al Qur'an, it being generally esteemed as the standard of the Arabic language and eloquence.
Dr. Hency Stubbe MA, Rise and Progress of Mohammadanism, London 1911, p158

All those who are acquainted with the Qur'an in Arabic agree in praising the beauty of this religious book; its grandeur of form is so sublime that no translation into any European language can allow us to appreciate it.
Edward Montet, Traduction Francaise du Coran, Paris 1929, Introduction p25

Briefly, the rhetoric and rhythm of the Arabic of the Koran are so characteristic, so powerful, so highly emotive, that any version whatsoever is bound in the nature of things to be but a poor copy of the glittering splendour of the original... My chief reason for offering this new version of a book which has been "translated" many times already is that in no prev ious rendering has a serious attempt been made to imitate, however imperfectly, those rhetorical and rhythmical patterns which are the glory and the sublimity of the Koran.
The Koran Interpreted by Arthur J. Arberry, London 1980, Preface p24 25
NOTE: A.J Arberry, the British Orientalist, was professor of Arabic at Oxford University

The Koran is the earliest and by far the finest work of Classical Arabic prose... It is acknowledged that the Koran is not only one of the most influential books of prophetic literature but also a literary masterpiece in its own right... translations have, in my opinion, practically failed to convey both the meaning and the rhetorical grandeur of the original.
The Koran Translated with Notes by N. J. Dawood, 5th Edition 1990, pp1,3
NOTE: Nessim Joseph Dawood is a Jewish Iraqi Scholar

Indeed, throughout history, many Arab Christians as well have regarded it as the perfection of Arabic language and literature.
John L. Esposito, Islam: The Straight Path, Oxford University Press, 1991, p21
NOTE: This author is Professor of Religion at the College of the Holy Cross
The meaning of 'slavery' in Islam

[video="youtube;sGUm8qkYanI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGUm8qkYanI[/video]
Original post by FlareBlitz96
Wa alaikumasalam. Did you get an offer from Kings?

Yeah :yes:
Original post by IdeasForLife
Why are you quoting her on two different accounts Quantum? :erm:

Are you feeling ok?

Maybe cos thats not me, ideas

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by female akhi
Yeah :yes:

Maybe cos thats not me, ideas

Posted from TSR Mobile

Keep up the show Quantum. I've never bought it, never will. :h:
Why are you quoting her on two different accounts Quantum? :erm:

Are you feeling ok?

It can't be Jameel because he said he left TSR. So, who is it? :confused:

Asalaamulaykum, I have a scholarship which halves my yearly student fee to £4500 and I also get £4500 in cash. So I can just pay off my loan with the scholarship technically. Search on the university websites and apply for all scholarships that you meet requirements for.

Walaykumasalaam

I'll consider it. Thank you
If people started burning down chinese offices and such then you'd say "omg those muslims are so violent!!!!".

no the uyghur muslims are peaceful, but the chinese government are trying to destroy them. they recently banned their language and are now forcing them to speak mandarin :frown:

where's the ummah?
Original post by Ghost.
no the uyghur muslims are peaceful, but the chinese government are trying to destroy them. they recently banned their language and are now forcing them to speak mandarin :frown:

where's the ummah?

Lets get serious. You don't care about them. You just wanted a reaction from isoc to your original post.

Most people are unaware of it.Those people, who are aware, try to raise awareness for the most part, but theres not much they can do. If they raise arms,no doubt they'd be labelled as terrorist by people like you.
(edited 9 years ago)
If people started burning down chinese offices and such then you'd say "omg those muslims are so violent!!!!".

Lets get serious. You don't care about them. You just wanted a reaction from isoc to your original post.

Most people are unaware of it.Those people, who are aware, try to raise awareness for the most part, but theres not much they can do. If they raise arms,no doubt they'd be labelled as terrorist by people like you.

Haha, well said :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ghost.
x

Not really. You've been banging on about "Why are muslims not outraged over X whilst being outraged over cartoons" lately, so it's just a pathetic carry on of that.

Good for him. Yh I guess the Muslim made pages and articles I've read have all really been done by non-Muslims pretending to be Muslim. Good one.

You still don't know what jihad is I guess. Still, I didn't have high hopes of finding good islamic knowledge from an ex-Muslim anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
[video="youtube;K1MsDyXPtrs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1MsDyXPtrs[/video]
Haha, well said :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks brother Quantum, your support is appreciated :biggrin:

What course?
[h="1"]Do Muslims Believe In Aliens & UFOs[/h]
[video="youtube;Vz8AQsnFxGw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz8AQsnFxGw[/video]
Thanks brother Quantum, your support is appreciated :biggrin:

Did you report his posts lol
Original post by FlareBlitz96
What course?

Physics :cool:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you report his posts lol

Physics :cool:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, I might actually meet you there:wink: