The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by *Stefan*
Ah... Don't rely on that at all.

LSE has 4000 undergraduate students, while other universities have about 9000-14000+. It's natural that the latter feature more prominently in the survey. The fact that LSE is still prominent is actually really impressive (particularly for the US firms). Don't forget though -LSE "pushes" many of its undergraduates into IB/Finance and I suppose that's what most people doing the economics/maths courses are most interested in.

In any case, I'd say LSE is a world leader in the legal world, and its reputation is international.

(Don't get me wrong -Durham and Bristol are definitely good universities too! I'm still seriously considering the former as a matter of fact.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah also a huge factor is that Durham and Bristol only have stellar reputations within the UK, but if you want to find a job for an EU/international firm, even if you stay in the UK, LSE will look much more impressive. The QS rankings certainly reflect that, and even if you go around asking people about what they think chances are they'll all say LSE without a hint of hesitation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I guess you're right!

I'm doing A-Levels as well, though I'm going with the Apolytirion & A-Levels combination.

LSE is probably the most diverse university in the UK, so that will happen regardless I think! I'm really excited about the whole university experience though, wherever I end up going! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting! So what A levels are you doing and what does your offer look like then?

2015 has been auto-pilot so far, just calmly waiting to get to uni for me too :P the only time I've been to the UK was for my interview and I absolutely loved everything about it, I can't wait to go back, if I meet my offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7462
Original post by aersh8
Look LSE is in London so inevitably the social scene will be awesome. Yes, there will be some people who will be studying all day but there will also be tonnes of others who want to party all day (you know what I mean). And even if you don't like those at LSE, you'll be a short walk away from UCL and other unis so you will be able to hang out with anyone you want.

No, we're doing A levels (we go to a British school). You're doing IB I assume then?

Yeah, that would be a good idea! Most Greeks at LSE are indeed post graduate students, so finding another undergrad could be unbelievably difficult, although I think this is a good thing since it can help broaden your horizons and build a more interesting experience :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know this might sound really random, but does Phil Holden teach at your school?
Original post by sr-96
I know this might sound really random, but does Phil Holden teach at your school?

Yeah, he's our headmaster and economics teacher! Do you know him from the youtube videos? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7464
Original post by aersh8
Yeah, he's our headmaster and economics teacher! Do you know him from the youtube videos? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh I love him!! (not in a creepy way):tongue: Such a great economist. You go to an awesome school:biggrin: (I saw the video he posted about the results obtained at your school, I've watched nearly all his videos).
Original post by aersh8

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you heard of EconPlusDal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr-96
Ahh I love him!! (not in a creepy way):tongue: Such a great economist. You go to an awesome school:biggrin: (I saw the video he posted about the results obtained at your school, I've watched nearly all his videos).

Lol I assume you've watched the ones where he tries to kill a spider or is having a barbecue then :P yeah I love my school and the teachers here are awesome, the only problem is that because it's a very small school there is a very limited choice of A level combinations you can take (eg you can only either take sciences or humanities - you can't combine them, A level further maths is not available, etc)

Where are you from?
Original post by Bude8
Have you heard of EconPlusDal?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I don't do economics :smile: is he another youtuber?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
Interesting! So what A levels are you doing and what does your offer look like then?

2015 has been auto-pilot so far, just calmly waiting to get to uni for me too :P the only time I've been to the UK was for my interview and I absolutely loved everything about it, I can't wait to go back, if I meet my offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing Modern Greek, Economics and Classics. It's a fast-track course, meaning it's all done in a year. Pretty tough, though Greek obviously allows some fresh air :biggrin:

My offer is A*A plus the Apolytirion. I'm slightly dreading that A*, though I feel confident overall.

I can feel you! I loved Oxford too when I visited, and that's what really hurt when I was rejected. They told me that they didn't feel like I(!) liked the interview. I mean couldn't they just say "we didn't like you"? It made me feel super bad because I actually really enjoyed the interview :/

What's your offer? And I didn't even ask -what did you apply for?

Original post by aersh8

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seriously??? He's amazing! Please tell him that we really appreciate his help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
Lol I assume you've watched the ones where he tries to kill a spider or is having a barbecue then :P yeah I love my school and the teachers here are awesome, the only problem is that because it's a very small school there is a very limited choice of A level combinations you can take (eg you can only either take sciences or humanities - you can't combine them, A level further maths is not available, etc)

Where are you from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, he's getting pretty famous on YouTube now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7469
Original post by aersh8

Where are you from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol haha yep he makes me laugh:tongue: Ahh that sucks!

I'm from the UK, I've never been to Greece before but it looks lovely:smile:
I'm doing Modern Greek, Economics and Classics. It's a fast-track course, meaning it's all done in a year. Pretty tough, though Greek obviously allows some fresh air :biggrin:

My offer is A*A plus the Apolytirion. I'm slightly dreading that A*, though I feel confident overall.

I can feel you! I loved Oxford too when I visited, and that's what really hurt when I was rejected. They told me that they didn't feel like I(!) liked the interview. I mean couldn't they just say "we didn't like you"? It made me feel super bad because I actually really enjoyed the interview :/

What's your offer? And I didn't even ask -what did you apply for?

Seriously??? He's amazing! Please tell him that we really appreciate his help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah my brother still feels the same way about Oxford, and he hasn't even received his feedback yet! What college did you apply to?

Natural sciences at St John's :smile: my offer is A*A*AA in maths, physics, chemistry, biology in any order. I'm really happy they didn't include Russian or self-taught AS further maths though, and that they didn't specify what subject they wanted the A*s in since that takes off a lot of pressure. I get what you mean about Greek - I did the AS last year (it was a bit of a joke) but I wasn't bothered learning Kavafi so didn't do the A2. Can Greek count towards your offer, or do they want those grades in economics and classics?

It's nice to hear that, and I'll pass it on next week :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
Yeah my brother still feels the same way about Oxford, and he hasn't even received his feedback yet! What college did you apply to?

Natural sciences at St John's :smile: my offer is A*A*AA in maths, physics, chemistry, biology in any order. I'm really happy they didn't include Russian or self-taught AS further maths though, and that they didn't specify what subject they wanted the A*s in since that takes off a lot of pressure. I get what you mean about Greek - I did the AS last year (it was a bit of a joke) but I wasn't bothered learning Kavafi so didn't do the A2. Can Greek count towards your offer, or do they want those grades in economics and classics?

It's nice to hear that, and I'll pass it on next week :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was interviewed at university. Ultra competitive unfortunately (78 applicants for 10 offers), but it's okay now. I'm totally over it! (I hope so at least :biggrin:).

Tough offer! Best of luck! Your brother's offer was A*AA right?

Haha AS is honestly such a bad joke indeed! A2 does get a bit more advanced, and lately no A*s have been awarded at all (they set the boundaries too high so Greeks don't get advantage of it... I think they've overdone it though).

The LSE offer excluded Greek -KCL, Durham and Bristol do accept it though.

Hopefully we'll all have a great and stress-free summer post results! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was interviewed at university. Ultra competitive unfortunately (78 applicants for 10 offers), but it's okay now. I'm totally over it! (I hope so at least :biggrin:).

Tough offer! Best of luck! Your brother's offer was A*AA right?

Haha AS is honestly such a bad joke indeed! A2 does get a bit more advanced, and lately no A*s have been awarded at all (they set the boundaries too high so Greeks don't get advantage of it... I think they've overdone it though).

The LSE offer excluded Greek -KCL, Durham and Bristol do accept it though.

Hopefully we'll all have a great and stress-free summer post results! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good! Any advice on how to get over it? :smile:

No, he's asked for AAA but one of the As has to be in maths and they've excluded Russian (his other A levels are history, politics and economics).

That's interesting - I've never heard of such a thing! I was sure they allocated the grades based on the average performance of the cohort, without skewing the grades at their own will. Which exam board are you on?

Thanks, good luck to you too! Yeah, but there will only be about a month left, and I'd expect to be busily preparing to move country and helping my parents move house... This summer, however, will definitely be the summer of least responsibilities until we retire :P do you have any plans for the summer yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
That's good! Any advice on how to get over it? :smile:

No, he's asked for AAA but one of the As has to be in maths and they've excluded Russian (his other A levels are history, politics and economics).

That's interesting - I've never heard of such a thing! I was sure they allocated the grades based on the average performance of the cohort, without skewing the grades at their own will. Which exam board are you on?

Thanks, good luck to you too! Yeah, but there will only be about a month left, and I'd expect to be busily preparing to move country and helping my parents move house... This summer, however, will definitely be the summer of least responsibilities until we retire :P do you have any plans for the summer yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that it really depends on the individual, and I'm usually not the type that allows stuff like this to hurt him. However, I'd say you brother should outline his future plans, and think how LSE will help him achieve them. He should consider that going to LSE will be equally as rewarding as going to Oxford, and the prospects post-graduation are identical (I'd actually say that LSE edges Oxford for careers in IB). Other than that, he should just think London -the capital of Europe :biggrin:

Awesome offer! Does he feel confident in achieving it? Please wish him the very best of luck from me!
By the way, are you guys from Russia/is Russian your first language?

That's what I thought too -until I saw some statistics for the 2013 exam period, where no one was awarded an A*. No one out of 120 people! Edexcel (I think it's the only one offering it at the moment).

Haha true! I'm hoping to go to Santorini and perhaps Italy! Still not sure though!

What are your own plans? Will you visit any of the islands :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think that it really depends on the individual, and I'm usually not the type that allows stuff like this to hurt him. However, I'd say you brother should outline his future plans, and think how LSE will help him achieve them. He should consider that going to LSE will be equally as rewarding as going to Oxford, and the prospects post-graduation are identical (I'd actually say that LSE edges Oxford for careers in IB). Other than that, he should just think London -the capital of Europe :biggrin:

Awesome offer! Does he feel confident in achieving it? Please wish him the very best of luck from me!
By the way, are you guys from Russia/is Russian your first language?

That's what I thought too -until I saw some statistics for the 2013 exam period, where no one was awarded an A*. No one out of 120 people! Edexcel (I think it's the only one offering it at the moment).

Haha true! I'm hoping to go to Santorini and perhaps Italy! Still not sure though!

What are your own plans? Will you visit any of the islands :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah everyone has been telling him that but he refuses to accept it, but hopefully it'll pass :smile: he needs to get 3 Cs this year to meet his offer (because they take the average of AS and A2) so he isn't worried about that thank goodness. And I will!

I'm Russian but I was born and have lived my whole life in Greece, and I speak Russian at home, although I must note that my English is better than my Russian.

That is weird, good thing I dropped Greek then! There's also CIE here :smile:

I'm definitely going to the Peloponnese as soon as my exams are over, not sure about the islands yet. Santorini is awesome though, probably my favourite island after Zakynthos!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
Yeah everyone has been telling him that but he refuses to accept it, but hopefully it'll pass :smile: he needs to get 3 Cs this year to meet his offer (because they take the average of AS and A2) so he isn't worried about that thank goodness. And I will!

I'm Russian but I was born and have lived my whole life in Greece, and I speak Russian at home, although I must note that my English is better than my Russian.

That is weird, good thing I dropped Greek then! There's also CIE here :smile:

I'm definitely going to the Peloponnese as soon as my exams are over, not sure about the islands yet. Santorini is awesome though, probably my favourite island after Zakynthos!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, he could reapply if he's so keen on Oxford, but since he's got LSE, I'd say it's not worth it at all (particularly so since, as you say, it's practically unconditional for him). Congrats for his amazing performance by the way!

Ah awesome! A third language is an awesome thing to have when looking for a job! I'd like to attend some Spanish lessons during whilst at university, and I'm actually planning on doing so at the moment.

Yeah I know- I meant specifically for Greek. I'm personally taking my other A-Levels with OCR, and I'll be taking my exams in England (a nice way to revisit :biggrin:).

Yeah! Zakynthos rocks as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, he could reapply if he's so keen on Oxford, but since he's got LSE, I'd say it's not worth it at all (particularly so since, as you say, it's practically unconditional for him). Congrats for his amazing performance by the way!

Ah awesome! A third language is an awesome thing to have when looking for a job! I'd like to attend some Spanish lessons during whilst at university, and I'm actually planning on doing so at the moment.

Yeah I know- I meant specifically for Greek. I'm personally taking my other A-Levels with OCR, and I'll be taking my exams in England (a nice way to revisit :biggrin:).

Yeah! Zakynthos rocks as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah we'll see how it goes :smile: languages are awesome! I did Chinese at IGCSE and I really want to take it up again at uni too.

That's interesting, couldn't you have sat them in the British Council? Although it is really cool to go to England again :smile: my exams are all Edexcel and I'm sitting them at school (in the school's gym :P)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
Yeah we'll see how it goes :smile: languages are awesome! I did Chinese at IGCSE and I really want to take it up again at uni too.

That's interesting, couldn't you have sat them in the British Council? Although it is really cool to go to England again :smile: my exams are all Edexcel and I'm sitting them at school (in the school's gym :P)

Posted from TSR Mobile

OCR is limited to the UK now, since CIE (its sister board) is international. I'm definitely excited about going there again! :biggrin:

Haha that must be a nice scenery there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bude8
omg is that blamethenargles?!

How have you been? What have you firmed and insurance'd? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Long time no see!

Time is flying too fast indeed

What choices you made then?

I've been good thank you both!! Well, very stressed and tired but aye I'm still here and that's what matters, right?
I decided on Nottingham as my firm choice (Spanish German and Translation studies) and Chester for my insurance (Spanish), went to Chester for the first time for the applicant's day and it was so pretty, and the entry requirements are pretty low so it's a good insurance!
I applied for my Nottingham accommodation early this week and my letter regarding student finance arrived yesterday!
IT'S ALL HAPPENING SO QUICKLY AHHHHH help
Original post by blamethenargles
I've been good thank you both!! Well, very stressed and tired but aye I'm still here and that's what matters, right?
I decided on Nottingham as my firm choice (Spanish German and Translation studies) and Chester for my insurance (Spanish), went to Chester for the first time for the applicant's day and it was so pretty, and the entry requirements are pretty low so it's a good insurance!
I applied for my Nottingham accommodation early this week and my letter regarding student finance arrived yesterday!
IT'S ALL HAPPENING SO QUICKLY AHHHHH help

Indeedo, what's life without a bit of stress ay

Nice!! Spanish and German nice mix. Have you done German before?

Ooooooh, I want to sort student finance out this week I think

It is way too fast, but I've got to the point where I think even though I don't want the change, I need it. My life now and the people in it aren't exactly good for me lol, need to move on.

Latest