The Student Room Group

Laptop for civil engineering degree

Hi there,

I'm going to invest in a new laptop in preparation for uni and maybe the future as well.

I have debated long and hard between the macbook air/pro/pro with retina and I think I am thinking of buying the Macbook Pro with retina display, at least 256GB of flash storage. The rest of the specs would be of the base model. Does anybody know if this would be enough for a civil engineering degree? Would I have to be able to run CAD programs and similar things on my own laptop, and if so, are those specs capable of handling it?
Reply 1
First and foremost, Do not get a mac book of any sort, your much better off spending your money on a windows laptop.
Reply 2
Original post by wb25
First and foremost, Do not get a mac book of any sort, your much better off spending your money on a windows laptop.

Well the main reason I'm going for mac is because of the long battery life which plays a big part in my consideration of laptops, and so far I haven't really been able to find any windows laptops that really stand out (might be a little stubborn of me but I've been avoiding Lenovo as I've had bad experiences with them in the past :P)
Reply 3
Original post by kateyl
Well the main reason I'm going for mac is because of the long battery life which plays a big part in my consideration of laptops, and so far I haven't really been able to find any windows laptops that really stand out (might be a little stubborn of me but I've been avoiding Lenovo as I've had bad experiences with them in the past :P)

Pay the same amount of money you are willing to pay for a Mac, and you will get a windows laptop that stands out.
Reply 4
Original post by kateyl

The new Macbooks should be coming out soon, but I'll wait until Summer once we're eligible for uni discounts if I were you.

But yeah, your hate towards lenova is well founded.

Original post by wb25
Pay the same amount of money you are willing to pay for a Mac, and you will get a windows laptop that stands out.

Hmm...

That depends on how you look at it. Apple's profit margins maybe high, but so is their spending on R&D. I'm not suggesting that Macs are for everyone, laptops with the similar specs can indeed be had at cheaper prices, but at the premium segment of the laptop market there's simply little alternative to what Apple offers*.

Specifications at the end of the day, are just specifications. I have a Chromebook with Ubuntu which benchmarks faster than my very old macbook, and I still prefer the latter for daily usage.

*ok the new Dell XPS 13 is decently engineered, I'll give you that...
Moved to the appropriate forum from Uni Life. :h:
Original post by kateyl

Firstly have you checked your Unis software usage, it could mean compatibility issues and also whether they have dedicated computer labs.

Personally would get a custom laptop or get something from MSI possibly. Also 256gb is low considering software taking up large spaces as well as any files for it
I'll definitely get the macbook pro. I'll be starting aerospace as well and have decided the buy the 2015 macbook pros. Here's why:

Long battery life - you dont wanna be carrying laptop chargers around campus and looking for places to charge
Reliable - Unlike windows with crappy updates every day, macbook releases solid updates which won't corrupt your work. And the best part is every new macbook update is free!
Good build quality
Apple has shops all around the place and great customer service so even if it breaks, you can just pop up into the shop and they might fix it.

In terms of software package, the main ones like SolidWorks and Matlab runs on macbook so you'll be fine.

The disadvantages are that macbooks cost around £999 however it is a good investment in the long term so I'll go for it.
Original post by bigboateng
I'll definitely get the macbook pro. I'll be starting aerospace as well and have decided the buy the 2015 macbook pros. Here's why:

Long battery life - you dont wanna be carrying laptop chargers around campus and looking for places to charge
Reliable - Unlike windows with crappy updates every day, macbook releases solid updates which won't corrupt your work. And the best part is every new macbook update is free!
Good build quality
Apple has shops all around the place and great customer service so even if it breaks, you can just pop up into the shop and they might fix it.

In terms of software package, the main ones like SolidWorks and Matlab runs on macbook so you'll be fine.

The disadvantages are that macbooks cost around £999 however it is a good investment in the long term so I'll go for it.

That statement is just asinine, and simply untrue.
Windows isn't unreliable, and it certainly doesn't "corrupt your work". You also emphasise about OS X updates being free, but that's the case with most operating systems, including Windows.

The choice is yours, although the fact that Macbooks are better isn't true, and it certainly isn't fact.
There are pros and cons to every system, so evaluating them and choosing on your personal needs is the best way to go about it.
For a powerful laptop, the best choice is probably a Windows laptop due to the customisable functions, primarily because there's a much larger choice of Windows laptops as opposed to Macbooks.
I will agree that for the most part, Macbooks have a better build quality than a lot of laptops.
The battery life may be good on Macbook, I don't know as I've never used one, but I'm sure there are other laptops with a good battery as well. So it would be best if you look around more.
A larger storage device would be a good priority, you'll soon run out of space with 256GB.
Original post by Jared44
That statement is just asinine, and simply untrue.
Windows isn't unreliable, and it certainly doesn't "corrupt your work". You also emphasise about OS X updates being free, but that's the case with most operating systems, including Windows.

The choice is yours, although the fact that Macbooks are better isn't true, and it certainly isn't fact.
There are pros and cons to every system, so evaluating them and choosing on your personal needs is the best way to go about it.
For a powerful laptop, the best choice is probably a Windows laptop due to the customisable functions, primarily because there's a much larger choice of Windows laptops as opposed to Macbooks.
I will agree that for the most part, Macbooks have a better build quality than a lot of laptops.
The battery life may be good on Macbook, I don't know as I've never used one, but I'm sure there are other laptops with a good battery as well. So it would be best if you look around more.
A larger storage device would be a good priority, you'll soon run out of space with 256GB.

I wasn't saying it will corrupt your work 100% of the time, but windows is more likely to cause troubles than a mac because Windows has been unstable since windows 8. In terms of the updates, I was talking about major updates like windows 7 from windows 8. However on OS X, going from Lion to Mavericks to Yosemite is free. Apple laptops last a few years longer than windows laptops due to the build quality and you don't wanna be changing laptops throughout the course of uni because 1. you probably wont have cash any more and 2. you might wanna keep your work. Also you dont have to get the 256 flash storage. You can get 500gb hardrive, in my case, I will be upgrading to 1tb (purchasing it from ebay). But I guess everyone has their own and this is mine :smile:
I wasn't saying it will corrupt your work 100% of the time, but windows is more likely to cause troubles than a mac because Windows has been unstable since windows 8. In terms of the updates, I was talking about major updates like windows 7 from windows 8. However on OS X, going from Lion to Mavericks to Yosemite is free. Apple laptops last a few years longer than windows laptops due to the build quality and you don't wanna be changing laptops throughout the course of uni because 1. you probably wont have cash any more and 2. you might wanna keep your work. Also you dont have to get the 256 flash storage. You can get 500gb hardrive, in my case, I will be upgrading to 1tb (purchasing it from ebay). But I guess everyone has their own and this is mine :smile:

Not true...
Windows hasn't been unstable, in fact it's more reliable with each version. I have no idea where you're getting this information from. Don't just say, everybody says so, because that doesn't make it correct. The Windows Kernel has been altered in Windows 8 from 7 to optimise the flow of control, meaning the OS is much faster, more reliable and requires less powerful hardware to run.
Where are you getting theis information from?
The build quality isn't directly proportional to the lifetime of a laptop. Just because the build quality, meaning the frame materials and design, doesn't mean the components inside will fail. The main exception to this is overheating, a poor design can result in overheating of components, but that's not as common as you think.
You lose your files because you're installing a whole new operating system. You can easily get around this by creating separate partitions or storing data on a separate drive or on a cloud.
Windows has been unstable since windows 8.

Wrong.

I was talking about major updates like windows 7 from windows 8. However on OS X, going from Lion to Mavericks to Yosemite is free.

Windows 8 to Windows 10 will be a free update, and so will many subsequent updates.

Apple laptops last a few years longer than windows laptops due to the build quality

Maybe compared to bottom of the barrel £300 Windows laptops, sure.
Im sure OP had probably made their decision already and just wanted some confirmation from TSR. I have no interest in debating whether MAC is better than Windows laptops or vice versa because different people have different opinions . I'll choose mac on any day if I need a reliable laptop and my main goal is to use it for uni work. (and have the money of course)
Im sure OP had probably made their decision already and just wanted some confirmation from TSR. I have no interest in debating whether MAC is better than Windows laptops or vice versa because different people have different opinions . I'll choose mac on any day if I need a reliable laptop and my main goal is to use it for uni work. (and have the money of course)

The problem isn't have a debate, or expressing your opinions. It's the fact that you're using invalid 'facts', or anecdotal evidence in place of actual evidence.
If you want to buy a Macbook, then fair enough, but don't start slandering other laptops that you seem inferior with false facts.
Original post by Jared44
The problem isn't have a debate, or expressing your opinions. It's the fact that you're using invalid 'facts', or anecdotal evidence in place of actual evidence.
If you want to buy a Macbook, then fair enough, but don't start slandering other laptops that you seem inferior with false facts.

ok
Reply 15

Yup that basically sums up why I posted, just for confirmation. I was hoping the thread wouldn't turn out to be a heated debate between windows and mac but oops I guess not :s thank you everyone though for your honest opinions, I've decided to go with mac anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending