The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Depleted
Ahhh my bad, thought you meant from a financial perspective. That's true, will be quite funny if they sign and neglect the central midfield though.

Well assuming you're taking financial to mean financial capabilities of the club, there isn't anyone in the world who Arsenal would struggle to sign.

As usual, they're limited by Wenger. And perhaps common sense, because Lacazette's goal return isn't repeatable, but in general Wenger.
Have to say that we have got to keep Walcott, or only sell him to a team abroad, it speaks volumes about the guys quality that we have posters representing Chelsea, United and Liverpool saying that they'd take him in their team.

"Sign da ting" part 2....
At best this is what will happen with our club:
We win the league once or twice in a decade at best.
We win some domestic cups.
I doubt we will ever win big ears without significant progress in this club.

Those who are dreaming of an Arsenal few years of dominance are just ****ing deluded. If anything, Jose will win the league in a Fergie like dominant manner for years to come. A young team he has there who are developing a strong winning mentality. Hell, they even make great buys and sells at great prices these days.
City will crumble in the next few years until they rebuild. United are in a better position than us as they can just throw endless money at the problem, but since they are against Jose I think they will face the same fate of winning one or two titles in a decade at best.

But hey, I will be happy with any silverware because it can always be worse. We could become like Spurs *shudders*.
Original post by leinad2012
Have to say that we have got to keep Walcott, or only sell him to a team abroad, it speaks volumes about the guys quality that we have posters representing Chelsea, United and Liverpool saying that they'd take him in their team.

Or maybe because they think that by buying him they think they would have one over Arsenal?
I think predicting what happens in the next decade, given how vastly football changed in the 00s, and before it in the 90s, is silly.
Original post by Tom_Ford
Or maybe because they think that by buying him they think they would have one over Arsenal?

Maybe, but before we signed Welbeck were we all hoping we'd sign him to do one over United? I certainly wasn't, there was a slight euphoria when we signed him because of that, but it's definitely settled down now.

Walcott should be starting games in the near future, but I completely understand why Wenger isn't playing him every game so soon after injury, and the fact that we invariably **** up and are left scrapping wins in the last 20 mins means only an idiot would bring him on.
Lewa would be an amazing buy if we can get him I wonder how often he plays at bayern. He would be our aguero/costa/Rooney and improve our attack immensely. Suarez would too but he's unattainable as is benzema.

I wouldn't mind us getting Jackson in the summer anything would be better than giroud and welbz.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by All Day
Salah and Schurrle aren't dissimilar players, even if Walcott is more proven. I'm not sure he'd do well for you guys.

He's more like Salah tbh. But he's played as a striker before and would offer an alternative to Costa's style when we played on the counter. However Costa's still a pretty quick player and far more efficient in front of goal - when he has a chance he usually takes it.

Salah's ripping it up in Serie A though, Walcott would easily get 20-25 goals a season if he played as a striker there tbh.
Original post by leinad2012

You wouldn't take £30m for him from City?
Original post by The Shed End
He's more like Salah tbh. But he's played as a striker before and would offer an alternative to Costa's style when we played on the counter. However Costa's still a pretty quick player and far more efficient in front of goal - when he has a chance he usually takes it.

Salah's ripping it up in Serie A though, Walcott would easily get 20-25 goals a season if he played as a striker there tbh.

Well, back to the point, I can see Walcott being frozen out and underused at you guys.

Managers of top teams like more from their strikers than just running in behind and good finishing, which is all Walcott offers.
Original post by Stalin

City have been hit with FFP fines so if they want to buy big they better sell big. (They haven't sold any player for at least £30m yet Chelsea has)
Original post by Stalin

If there was a £25mil offer on the table from a team abroad and a £30mil one from city I would probably rather we lost the £5mil and didn't have him playing at a rival team (although it's obs up to the player who he joins.

That being said he isn't a £30mil player atm, but he certainly has the potential to be. I just don't think we NEED to sell anyone, especially not to rivals
I don't know exactly what you mean by clutch. If by scoring at important moments in big games then yes, he did that, but he had better players around him too with an unlimited budget.

Drogba has scored 9 goals for Chelsea in cup finals. He scored other big goals like the one vs Man Utd in 2010 to win the league.

I think you are confusing a coach with a tactician. As a coach, there are very few around that can develop young players like he can. Do you think that the players he has developed through the years have become world class by their own doing? :rolleyes:

What players have Arsenal actually produced in recent years though? It's only really Gibbs, Wilshere and Szczesny who have come through the academy. Look at players like Bendtner, Denilson, Frimpong etc. Wenger got them young and they never got anywhere. Most of Wenger's best work was done many years ago.

There is always someone out there in the market who is the right player, we just have to find hi. As I say, it is pointless me speculating as who could have predicted that we bought Alexis Sanchez this time last season? Suarez was not a world beater before Liverpool, Lewa was not before Dortmund. Wenger is the best manager to leave a great team for the next manager to take on.
And who do we replace Wenger with as a coach? You are dissatisfied with him yes, but who do we bring in that will win us titles straight away?
Pep? Klopp? Will they bring guaranteed titles quicker than Wenger can bring them in? I think the WOB is more desperation rather than an honest assessment of any viable alternatives.

http://www.espnfc.com/video/espn-fc-tv/86/video/2319592

In all honesty, we are a win a title or two in a decade team these days at best, with a few domestic cups. We are not going to win big ears anytime soon so people can stop dreaming about that. The amount of entitlement based on past glories is ridiculous, its the same with the United fans and the Liverpool fans. Times have changed and they do not see it.

Man Utd : 20 League titles and 3 European cups
Liverpool : 18 Leagie titles and 5 European cups
Arsenal : 13 League titles and 0 European cups
Put in a cheeky 40m bid for Aguero hehe
Original post by All Day
Well, back to the point, I can see Walcott being frozen out and underused at you guys.

Managers of top teams like more from their strikers than just running in behind and good finishing, which is all Walcott offers.

I wasn't saying we'd realistically sign him. Could have happened around 12/13 but we have better options now and, as shown with Salah, play a style which wouldn't suit a player like Walcott so much.

Anyway, firstly, I doubt he'd go to us from Arsenal, I doubt Wenger would sell him to us, and most importantly, I think we have more sense than to buy him for £20-30 million - City however???
Original post by AR_95

* and a quid
Original post by AR_95

Let's hope Real do just that this summer :colondollar:

Anyway, firstly, I doubt he'd go to us from Arsenal, I doubt Wenger would sell him to us, and most importantly, I think we have more sense than to buy him for £20-30 million - City however???

City badly need English/home grown players, next season as it stands they only have Hart & Clichy.
* and a quid

Serious though if FFP really does hammer down on them?

Chelsea have Costa and Remy, would you really go for Aguero?
Liverpool could do with Aguero but I don't see them outbidding us
UTD need strikers though, and they'll probably pay 80m for him :lol:

That or he eventually goes to Madrid
He'll go to Spain. All the best PL players do tbh, probably try and link up with his bae Messi though.
Original post by al_94
Drogba has scored 9 goals for Chelsea in cup finals. He scored other big goals like the one vs Man Utd in 2010 to win the league.

What players have Arsenal actually produced in recent years though? It's only really Gibbs, Wilshere and Szczesny who have come through the academy. Look at players like Bendtner, Denilson, Frimpong etc. Wenger got them young and they never got anywhere. Most of Wenger's best work was done many years ago.

http://www.espnfc.com/video/espn-fc-tv/86/video/2319592

Man Utd : 20 League titles and 3 European cups
Liverpool : 18 Leagie titles and 5 European cups
Arsenal : 13 League titles and 0 European cups

We have not exactly got to many cup finals in recent years for Giroud to prove his worth in his first three seasons here. The whole team played badly in these games. Chelsea's team are always filled with world class players to put it to Drogba on a plate.

I am not talking about the academy, the current crop are bottlers yes but the players he has bought from other clubs and developed into world class players is aplenty. Basically, every other generation apart from the current crop have had many gone on from his coaching to become winners. Not his fault that they wanted to leave the club in droves when we were financially unable to challenge. His budget has been very little in recent years and he could have ****ed off to Bayern or somewhere where he would actually be treated with a bit more respect than England. He could have taken an easy job like Jose, or Pep do.

What is your point about the trophy haul comparison? What are you telling me that I do not already know? I stand by what I said, the fans feel entitled based on past glories. Fergie was a one off, Liverpool's era was a one off. The invincibles were a one off.

What you are doing is essentially terrace shouting. This is why I find football unbearable these days, the fans have got bigger platforms to shout their mouths off (e.g. Twitter) and the whole world hears their stupidity. No one actually thinks rationally, it's all kneejerk bull**** and entitlement complexes.

Latest