The Student Room Group

In closet Atheist, AMA.

Title says it all,
do you have any questions for someone in a religious household being in the closet.

Scroll to see replies

Why do you think anyone cares?
Reply 2
Original post by Infraspecies
Why do you think anyone cares?

People might have questions about religion/atheism.
Especially if they didnt grow up in a religious household.
Just come out the closet, no point hiding it tbh. What religion is everyone else in your household?
Reply 4
Original post by shiva300
Just come out the closet, no point hiding it tbh. What religion is everyone else in your household?

Muslim.

Im sure that says it all.
Original post by Cobalt_
Muslim.

What made you become atheist? I sympathise with you
Reply 6
Original post by Cobalt_
Muslim.

Are your parents really strict?

I'm muslim and my parents weren't that strict i.e. they didn't force me into praying etc As a result, I was able to follow Islam by myself without much influence.
Firstly congratulations.
Secondly, how do you think your family would react if they knew? Do you have a way to leave if things went bad?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
What made you become atheist? I sympathise with you

Id put 50% down to science.
Im pretty big on science and its really hard to have both in your life.

The other 50% is to due with a personal god.
I cant see a personal god for obvious reasons.
If god does exist, he knows im gonna burn in hell forever and ever. How can you be moral enough to let someone burn. Isnt he suppose to love me like a son?..

I will get the guts soon, I just need to be stable financially before I get kicked out for leaving aha.
Original post by Cobalt_
Title says it all,
do you have any questions for someone in a religious household being in the closet.

How old are you? If you can just pretend for a bit, thats probably your best option. Muslims are a bit crazy when it comes to none believers in the family, probably best option to just wait it out :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by BCMFM16
Are your parents really strict?

I'm muslim and my parents weren't that strict i.e. they didn't force me into praying etc As a result, I was able to follow Islam by myself without much influence.

My parents are pretty liberal.
But tbh every muslim parent is gonna be hurt if you leave islam. They have been brought up to believe that god is real and that if you dont follow islam you will go to hell. Its only natural for them to be hurt and upset.

I dont blame them, I will always be grateful for what they did for me.
High five mate :five:
Reply 12
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
Firstly congratulations.
Secondly, how do you think your family would react if they knew? Do you have a way to leave of things went bad?

Thank you sir!

I think they will be seriously hurt and probably try sweep it under the carpet which is the last thing I want. They will tell me its just a phase and for me to stop. They will probably dismiss it as me acting out or something.
Reply 13
Original post by Hayley Williams
How old are you? If you can just pretend for a bit, thats probably your best option. Muslims are a bit crazy when it comes to none believers in the family, probably best option to just wait it out :smile:

Im about to be 20.
Yeh Im gonna pretend for a bit more longer but its driving me crazy.

When my parents make comments about homosexuality or other religion or science, I have to say something. I cant see injustice happening, I have to speak up.

I think my parents already have a feeling.
Reply 14
Original post by RayApparently
High five mate :five:

HIGH FIVE!! :five:

LOGIC
Original post by Cobalt_
Id put 50% down to science.
Im pretty big on science and its really hard to have both in your life.

The other 50% is to due with a personal god.
I cant see a personal god for obvious reasons.
If god does exist, he knows im gonna burn in hell forever and ever. How can you be moral enough to let someone burn. Isnt he suppose to love me like a son?..

I will get the guts soon, I just need to be stable financially before I get kicked out for leaving aha.

I kind of get where you're coming from, I come from a Strong christian background and my parents (Dad especially) were very disappointed in me. I'm an atheist for much the same reasons as you, mainly science:smile: you'll be okay and I'm sure your parents will forgive you
Reply 16
I kind of get where you're coming from, I come from a Strong christian background and my parents (Dad especially) were very disappointed in me. I'm an atheist for much the same reasons as you, mainly science:smile: you'll be okay and I'm sure your parents will forgive you

Oh, well congrats on coming out!
Must have been hard.

Yeh, Well I hope they forgive me..
If they did, they would make me pretend to everyone else. To extended family/friends..
Not sure how free id be living like that.
Original post by Cobalt_
Im about to be 20.
Yeh Im gonna pretend for a bit more longer but its driving me crazy.

When my parents make comments about homosexuality or other religion or science, I have to say something. I cant see injustice happening, I have to speak up.

I think my parents already have a feeling.

I would think moving out is the best option if they are strict muslims, if not just come out with it :smile: i wouldn't have an argument about it, especially if you don't have anywhere else to live :smile:
Original post by Cobalt_
My parents are pretty liberal.
But tbh every muslim parent is gonna be hurt if you leave islam. They have been brought up to believe that god is real and that if you dont follow islam you will go to hell. Its only natural for them to be hurt and upset.

I dont blame them, I will always be grateful for what they did for me.

I don't consider thinking Islam is the true religion as liberal. Liberal is accepting other religions to be equal as well as those who may not follow a religion. Thats the kind of upbringing I've had.

You may think that some of the ideas in the Quran are very radical, they've only been included to suit a time period when they were relevant. "Islam must adapt to modern times". The radical muslims don't consider this and therefore chose to live in the past.

Personally, I've seen God's existence throughout my life. For instance when I had my GCSE Geography exam, I thought it was English literature that day, as a result I spent my morning revising that subject. However, when I arrived at school, I had a strange feeling that I needed to visit the exam hall early, when I arrived I saw it was Geography. This therefore lead me to cram revise geography for the next 30 minutes, which as a consequence, allowed me to get an A* overall (1 mark above the boundary). I believe had I not done that cramming I would have done a lot worse.
Original post by Cobalt_
Oh, well congrats on coming out!
Must have been hard.

Yeh, Well I hope they forgive me..
If they did, they would make me pretend to everyone else. To extended family/friends..
Not sure how free id be living like that.

I just explained to them why I don't believe, I'm doing a degree in biochemistry and they already knew i have a logical approach to thinking, and in my opinion religion just isn't logical, there were too many flaws in it. I don't discuss it with them or mention it, and my family respect my views so it's better this way, I don't want to argue with them but letting them think that I was religious felt like I was hiding too much

Quick Reply

Latest