The Student Room Group

Britain isn't eating

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SophieSmall
I've not encountered people that verbal about it in real life, but I have encountered a couple of people who in a moment of anger or having watched a programme which is made to basically piss people off (benefits Britain) chime in with something unsavoury and of sheer ignorance.

Original post by ChaoticButterfly

Haha brilliant
Aye, it's true the majority can at least always feed themselves (heating...not necessarily, we could never afford it anyway). But there are people who fall through the cracks or are treated unfairly by the system and end up having no choice but to use food banks.

I'm just happy food banks are so commonplace now, 5+ years ago nobody had heard of them and now they are everywhere :smile: so many kids lives must've improved so much. Something needs to be done about emergency electric/gas though. £5 credit on a meter lasts no time at all and there's often days left until you get any money.

I think these things affect people's lives more than people realise. The reality is it's too cold to sleep due to no heating, you are sat up all night in the dark because there's no electricity for lights/tv. Then you go to school with no breakfast and can't concentrate because your so dizzy from hunger/tiredness. Your grades suffer, you feel ****. Then you go home, eat some dried pasta you find in a cupboard and repeat the cycle. Your schoolwork goes downhill because you literally haven't got the effort in you anymore, so you don't get into college. You are just so trapped.

It is so much more than not having enough to eat, that food will play a big part in helping you get out of the situation.
Original post by CherryWine
I'm just happy food banks are so commonplace now, 5+ years ago nobody had heard of them and now they are everywhere :smile: so many kids lives must've improved so much. Something needs to be done about emergency electric/gas though. £5 credit on a meter lasts no time at all and there's often days left until you get any money.

I think these things affect people's lives more than people realise. The reality is it's too cold to sleep due to no heating, you are sat up all night in the dark because there's no electricity for lights/tv. Then you go to school with no breakfast and can't concentrate because your so dizzy from hunger/tiredness. Your grades suffer, you feel ****. Then you go home, eat some dried pasta you find in a cupboard and repeat the cycle. Your schoolwork goes downhill because you literally haven't got the effort in you anymore, so you don't get into college. You are just so trapped.

It is so much more than not having enough to eat, that food will play a big part in helping you get out of the situation.

There is the winter electric grant that people on low incomes can get which my mum finds to be a life saver as it means she can spend the money she would have on electric on gas so she can heat the house occasionally in the winter :smile:

I agree it does affect people more than people realise, or want to believe.
Let's face it: No matter what; in every country, there WILL be poor people. And poor people will have it tough, regardless.
The benefits system is already very generous in Britain; in fact, I think it's generous to the extent people would rather sit on the system instead of getting a minimum wage job.

In Hong Kong, where I come from; the poor have it WAY worse than in Britain. It's harsh, but in Hong Kong, people are generally far more hard working than in Britain, and the average standard of living is higher, despite the poor being poorer. Why? Because there is much more incentive to work harder in Hong Kong; you don't get punished with ridiculous tax rates like in Britain just because you earn a bit more.

My friends father (in HK) works some 60 hours a week to feed his family. And it's this kind of incentive and hard work that keeps the economy afloat. I heard he sometimes comes home really grumpy and always complains about 'working too hard' and always gets mad at his kid and wife because they are such a burden on him, but let's face it, it's because of this incentive from low benefits driving motivation into people like him, his family is still probably better off than being on a low income family because the dad is too lazy to work and would rather claim benefits.

If you don't work in Hong Kong, you get the equivalent of about half a pound a day of benefits. Please tell me how the benefits system in the UK is not generous enough.

Call me a victim blamer all you want, but if you work hard, you won't be in poverty. Given how lazy everyone else has become in UK's system, if you work even moderately hard (~6-8 hours of academic work a day starting at or before secondary school) you're pretty much guaranteed to get into a top university and enjoy a world class education and get out of poverty. Please tell me how you 'poor people' are the victims when you are just too lazy to get work OR education. It's ironic because the supposedly 'poor person' victim in the clip
1) actually decides to own a television and maintain it instead of food
2) sits and watches the television instead of well; maybe working or doing something productive?

no wonder you are poor. All you do is exaggerate your circumstances, that's the only thing you know how to do. After a while, hysteresis kicks in, and that's the point where you say it so much even you start believing in your own lies. It's sad, really.
Original post by CancerousProblem
Let's face it: No matter what; in every country, there WILL be poor people. And poor people will have it tough, regardless.
The benefits system is already very generous in Britain; in fact, I think it's generous to the extent people would rather sit on the system instead of getting a minimum wage job.

In Hong Kong, where I come from; the poor have it WAY worse than in Britain. It's harsh, but in Hong Kong, people are generally far more hard working than in Britain, and the average standard of living is higher, despite the poor being poorer. Why? Because there is much more incentive to work harder in Hong Kong; you don't get punished with ridiculous tax rates like in Britain just because you earn a bit more.

My friends father (in HK) works some 60 hours a week to feed his family. And it's this kind of incentive and hard work that keeps the economy afloat. I heard he sometimes comes home really grumpy and always complains about 'working too hard' and always gets mad at his kid and wife because they are such a burden on him, but let's face it, it's because of this incentive from low benefits driving motivation into people like him, his family is still probably better off than being on a low income family because the dad is too lazy to work and would rather claim benefits.

If you don't work in Hong Kong, you get the equivalent of about half a pound a day of benefits. Please tell me how the benefits system in the UK is not generous enough.

Call me a victim blamer all you want, but if you work hard, you won't be in poverty. Given how lazy everyone else has become in UK's system, if you work even moderately hard (~6-8 hours of academic work a day starting at or before secondary school) you're pretty much guaranteed to get into a top university and enjoy a world class education and get out of poverty. Please tell me how you 'poor people' are the victims when you are just too lazy to get work OR education. It's ironic because the supposedly 'poor person' victim in the clip
2) sits and watches the television instead of well; maybe working or doing something productive?

no wonder you are poor. All you do is exaggerate your circumstances, that's the only thing you know how to do. After a while, hysteresis kicks in, and that's the point where you say it so much even you start believing in your own lies. It's sad, really.

:rolleyes:
Original post by CherryWine

Whilst it certainly is a good thing people are setting up and running these things but the fact more people are having to resort to food banks is a bad thing. Usage has gone up massively since the conservatives have got in and the economy is being managed in a way that means people are being payed less, benefits are being clamped down on, more unemployment, crap zero contract jobs and so on. Food banks are a temporary measure, not a long term solution.
(edited 9 years ago)

I have a 'world class education', it took me 4 months after graduation to get a min wage temp job and I now find myself unemployed again. If my parents weren't keeping me I would be ****ed and would need financial help. Also you do relaise there is an optimum number of unemployed people for an economy to function well. It isn't zero. Capitalism needs unemployment. You have to do something with these people.

:rolleyes:

Well this thread got to post 25 before that sort showed up :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
I have a 'world class education', it took me 4 months after graduation to get a min wage temp job and I now find myself unemployed again. If my parents weren't keeping me I would be ****ed and would need financial help.

Yeah the thing that always pisses me off is the people who say "if you work hard you will be successful". Complete bull****. It would literally be economically impossible for everyone to be successful. Millions of people work hard and still get nowhere and end up eating cold beans out of the can. Laughable post.
I'm mainly coming from the point of view of a child whose parents are on benefits in my posts btw. Money allocated towards food is often gone due to debt collectors, unexpected expenses, etc and its good to know that children are still able to eat despite that.
Yeah the thing that always pisses me off is the people who say "if you work hard you will be successful". Complete bull****. It would literally be economically impossible for everyone to be successful. Millions of people work hard and still get nowhere and end up eating cold beans out of the can. Laughable post.

What's even more stupid is these people normally support right wing neoliberal economics which requires a standing army of unemployed people to function well. It was the left wing Keynesians of old who aimed for full employment. Their mortal enemy :tongue: These people make no sense :rolleyes:
What's even more stupid is these people normally support right wing neoliberal economics which requires a standing army of unemployed people to function well. It was the left wing Keynesians of old who aimed for full employment. Their mortal enemy :tongue: These people make no sense :rolleyes:

Just reeks of ignorance and blame shifting basically.
Just reeks of ignorance and blame shifting basically.

Yup. If you were some callous monster who only cared about economic success shooting all the unemployed would actually harm the economy :rolleyes:
Yup. If you were some callous monster who only cared about economic success shooting all the unemployed would actually harm the economy :rolleyes:

Haha yes :')

I mean it is true, we have one of the most generous benefits systems in the world....but then I think that say more about the rest of the world than it does about us.

There are certainly people who can (in most cases) easily survive on benefits, like single people with no dependants who live in cheap areas. But then there are people who really struggle like families. And while usually most people on benefits can at least afford rent and food, there are those who fall through the cracks. Those who are wrongly sanctioned or have other benefits wrongly taken off them who are left with literally nothing or not enough to survive on.
I have a 'world class education', it took me 4 months after graduation to get a min wage temp job and I now find myself unemployed again. If my parents weren't keeping me I would be ****ed and would need financial help. Also you do relaise there is an optimum number of unemployed people for an economy to function well. It isn't zero. Capitalism needs unemployment. You have to do something with these people.

Please. "World class education" doesn't mean 'oh I got into like any Russel group uni', since let's face it, some Russel group uni's are rubbish.

Anyway here are the list of world class unis in UK: Oxford, Cambridge, possibly Imperial College
Pushing it if you call it world class: LSE, UCL, Warwick, St Andrews

anything else is a rubbish university and you must have been really quite lazy if you ended up going to one of those, and thus you shouldn't speak.

Also if you have a degree that is in some rubbish subject that no one cares about like "Art" or "Anglo Saxon Studies" then it's your fault for being an idiot and picking the worst degree you possibly could. Imagine if you picked a real degree, like engineering or medicine.

Please, Keynsian economics is how countries in Europe got so ****ed up in the first place.

New Classicists' economics is much more accurate. Just like, seriously.
Please. "World class education" doesn't mean 'oh I got into like any Russel group uni', since let's face it, some Russel group uni's are rubbish.

Anyway here are the list of world class unis in UK: Oxford, Cambridge, possibly Imperial College
Pushing it if you call it world class: LSE, UCL, Warwick, St Andrews

anything else is a rubbish university and you must have been really quite lazy if you ended up going to one of those, and thus you shouldn't speak.

Also if you have a degree that is in some rubbish subject that no one cares about like "Art" or "Anglo Saxon Studies" then it's your fault for being an idiot and picking the worst degree you possibly could. Imagine if you picked a real degree, like engineering or medicine.

Are you actually stupid enough to think if everyone worked really really hard they could get into those universities? There simply wouldn't be enough spaces. It's literally impossible.

And he did pick a real degree he's a physicist you twirp.

And also again not everyone can be a doctor or engineer. Ever heard of job market saturation?

Blimey you're not a bright one are you?
Haha yes :')

I mean it is true, we have one of the most generous benefits systems in the world....but then I think that say more about the rest of the world than it does about us.

Exactly.

Every kid in poverty obviously wants to better their lives but when you haven't eaten and slept in days due to lack of food and heat, concentrating at school is hard. You feel faint, sick and nothing processes in your brain properly. Therefore getting good grades is hard and your further education chances are looking slim. You can have the determination to escape poverty, but without sleep and food you are not going to get to where you need to be.
Are you actually stupid enough to think if everyone worked really really hard they could get into those universities? There simply wouldn't be enough spaces. It's literally impossible.

You're pretty damn stupid man.

I'm not proposing a solution for everyone. I'm proposing a solution for anyone that actually gives a **** enough that they dont want to be in poverty, (which people dont give a **** because the difference between 'rich' and poor here is so small thanks to the insane levels of tax on anyone happening to carry an extra coin or two after coming home from work just so the lazy people get to keep being lazy).

The thing is, almost no one works hard (again thanks to the crappy incentive killing benefits system). People at the moment are just lazy in general, so even if you work JUST A TINY BIT hard (like JUST 3-4 hours of sustained, focused academic work every day after school) you will already be far ahead of most of the competition

Maybe if all those lazy benefits people actually do something productive instead of moaning and scapegoating anyone that is just a bit better off we'd be a bit better off?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending