The Student Room Group

IRELAND - Britains OLDEST colony

I have heard time and time again Africans and Muslims pointing e finger and blaming all their problems on colonisation. Can someone please explain to me how Ireland a country that is. Britains oldest colony which was subjected to British rule for 3 - 4 hundred years and faced horrendous genocide by cromwell and enslavment of its people is not a cesspit of barbarity and oppression?

Ireland is now one of the worlds most advanced countries in terms of the UN index for standard of living, man development and so on and on and on?

Don't you think it is time for Arabs and Africans to actually stop blaming people for their own self made problems and take some responsibility for how they run their own countries and affairs?

discuss

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
But... But... 70 years ago the Europeans stole my diamonds :/
Yep because Pakistan was definately a self made problem.
The racial grievance industry is multi billion pound industry. Don't accept people to take self responsibility any time soon.

As for the Irish, they are easily some of the most oppressed people of the past 500 years yet they have managed to create one of the worlds most advanced and prosperous countries.

Political correctness and truth are polar opposites.
Original post by Dilmurod Dilmu

The Muslims, who had been a colonial power themselves in the region for 800 before the British arrived, demanded their own country.

Muslims and non Muslims never lived in peace in the region. Muslims were always an expansionist and aggressive force. Maybe you have never heard of the Hindu holocaust?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dilmurod Dilmu

You mean the Muslims in that area who partitioned for their own independant state?
Every country was a colony at one stage. Hell parts of modern day countries are part of said country because of 'colonialism'. It's kind of like using dictatorship in the context of middle ages or the dark ages.
Original post by Flashing Comet
Don't you think it is time for Arabs and Africans to actually stop blaming people for their own self made problems and take some responsibility for how they run their own countries and affairs?

What do you suggest they do? please enlighten me
Reply 8
I have heard time and time again Africans and Muslims pointing e finger and blaming all their problems on colonisation. Can someone please explain to me how Ireland a country that is. Britains oldest colony which was subjected to British rule for 3 - 4 hundred years and faced horrendous genocide by cromwell and enslavment of its people is not a cesspit of barbarity and oppression?

Ireland is now one of the worlds most advanced countries in terms of the UN index for standard of living, man development and so on and on and on?

discuss

:eek:

You can't say such lies OP. That would imply that it's not somebody else's fault that they are poor and spent years killing each other.

Nasty OP, you imperialist apologist. :mad:

:colone:

The Irish are our brethren and Ireland will eventually make us whole. The Arabs and Africans are sadly culturally inferior, i'd not be suprised if certain areas were as poor per capita in 20 years as they are today, that was the experience of Iran between 85-05.
Reply 9
Original post by Barack Obama
What do you suggest they do? please enlighten me

Growing up and stop blaming da white man would be a start
But the white man did cause the problem. No matter how long ago it was communities will be affected by the oppression they once faced. Its not just black and Asian people but also aboriginals and native Americans. What we all have in common is that our communities have suffered and hindered growth because of European interference. White people just want to make themselves feel better by saying that its not their fault. Comparing Ireland to Africa is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard, completely different cultures and customs you can't expect them to grow and do develop at the same rate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by em211997
But the white man did cause the problem. No matter how long ago it was communities will be affected by the oppression they once faced. Its not just black and Asian people but also aboriginals and native Americans. What we all have in common is that our communities have suffered and hindered growth because of European interference. White people just want to make themselves feel better by saying that its not their fault. Comparing Ireland to Africa is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard, completely different cultures and customs you can't expect them to grow and do develop at the same rate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your argument is essentially 'what did Rome ever do for us'

One of the stupidest and most bitter things I've ever heard. You live a comfortable life because of European advancement and achievement.

The agricultural, industrial, scientific and technological revolutions all happened in the west. These are things which DEVELOPED communities. Which took them OUT of the stone age.

But easiest way to debunk your argument is to ask why east asian countries thrive and others outside of the west don't?

Look in the mirror.
(edited 9 years ago)
Apostrophe please. :biggrin:

discuss

Because it has the lowest corp tax and it joined the EU.

Ireland was one of the poorest countries in Europe till 1980's onwards. That is why, historically, there has been widespread emigration from the country.

Don't try to use the Irish as an excuse for British actions of the past. They won't forget what the Empire did even though the average Briton has.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
The Arabs and Africans are sadly culturally inferior, i'd not be suprised if certain areas were as poor per capita in 20 years as they are today, that was the experience of Iran between 85-05.

How about Botswana?
Original post by DorianGrayism
Don't try to use the Irish as an excuse for British actions of the past. They won't forget what the Empire did even though the average Briton has.

The average Briton can't remember it because the average Briton wasn't born. Nor was the average Irishman / woman.

Holding on to the grievances of other people is the reason for so many conflicts in the world today. The repressors and the repressed are dead. We should not forget what empires do, but they are not you and me.
Original post by Octohedral
The average Briton can't remember it because the average Briton wasn't born. Nor was the average Irishman / woman.

Holding on to the grievances of other people is the reason for so many conflicts in the world today. The repressors and the repressed are dead. We should not forget what empires do, but they are not you and me.

You don't need to be born in the era to know about what happened. The average Briton has no clue about British actions in Ireland.

Anyway, the OP is deliberately using the Irish experience to ignore the consequences of Empire building throughout the world. It is not about assigning responsibility to modern day Britain.
Because it has the lowest corp tax and it joined the EU.

Ireland was one of the poorest countries in Europe till 1980's onwards. That is why, historically, there has been widespread emigration from the country.

Ireland in 1940 was more advanced than almost all muslims countries today.
You don't need to be born in the era to know about what happened. The average Briton has no clue about British actions in Ireland.

Anyway, the OP is deliberately using the Irish experience to ignore the consequences of Empire building throughout the world. It is not about assigning responsibility to modern day Britain.

'Knowing about it': fine. I agree - the history curriculum could do with an overhaul (not to mention popular culture references and people's general knowledge being awful). Sorry, I read your comment 'won't forget' as being directed against modern day Britain. My mistake!
Ireland in 1940 was more advanced than almost all muslims countries today.

That has nothing to do with what I said and it is the type of garbage point I would expect from Empire sympathisers.

Furthermore, I also have no clue why you picked 1940 when the Irish State "started" in 1923.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending