The Student Room Group

Britain isn't eating

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CancerousProblem
You're pretty damn stupid man.

I'm not proposing a solution for everyone. I'm proposing a solution for anyone that actually gives a **** enough that they dont want to be in poverty, (which people dont give a **** because the difference between 'rich' and poor here is so small thanks to the insane levels of tax on anyone happening to carry an extra coin or two after coming home from work just so the lazy people get to keep being lazy).

The thing is, almost no one works hard (again thanks to the crappy incentive killing benefits system). People at the moment are just lazy in general, so even if you work JUST A TINY BIT hard (like JUST 3-4 hours of sustained, focused academic work every day after school) you will already be far ahead of most of the competition

I actually just cannot comprehend how someone can be do devoid from reality. And comparing Hong Kong to the UK is apples and oranges.
I feel bad for the UK since your country and the rest of europe is probably going to be completely screwed economically for the next 50 years because of the crappy system where you get stupid levels of benefits.

And pensions. Those things are too damn high as well.

Please explain how comparing Hong Kong and the UK is apples and oranges? Both are countries and have somewhat comparable economic system but Hong Kong is far better off at the moment. Why? Because we don't have so much government intervention on stuff that doesn't ened government intervention; like benefit payments.

You get half a pound a day in Hong Kong if you don't work. Minimum wage is like, 2 pound an hour. And that's why we have near full employment (maybe save for frictional unemployment) in Hong Kong.
(edited 9 years ago)
Let's face it: No matter what; in every country, there WILL be poor people. And poor people will have it tough, regardless.
The benefits system is already very generous in Britain; in fact, I think it's generous to the extent people would rather sit on the system instead of getting a minimum wage job.

In Hong Kong, where I come from; the poor have it WAY worse than in Britain. It's harsh, but in Hong Kong, people are generally far more hard working than in Britain, and the average standard of living is higher, despite the poor being poorer. Why? Because there is much more incentive to work harder in Hong Kong; you don't get punished with ridiculous tax rates like in Britain just because you earn a bit more.

My friends father (in HK) works some 60 hours a week to feed his family. And it's this kind of incentive and hard work that keeps the economy afloat. I heard he sometimes comes home really grumpy and always complains about 'working too hard' and always gets mad at his kid and wife because they are such a burden on him, but let's face it, it's because of this incentive from low benefits driving motivation into people like him, his family is still probably better off than being on a low income family because the dad is too lazy to work and would rather claim benefits.

If you don't work in Hong Kong, you get the equivalent of about half a pound a day of benefits. Please tell me how the benefits system in the UK is not generous enough.

Call me a victim blamer all you want, but if you work hard, you won't be in poverty. Given how lazy everyone else has become in UK's system, if you work even moderately hard (~6-8 hours of academic work a day starting at or before secondary school) you're pretty much guaranteed to get into a top university and enjoy a world class education and get out of poverty. Please tell me how you 'poor people' are the victims when you are just too lazy to get work OR education. It's ironic because the supposedly 'poor person' victim in the clip
1) actually decides to own a television and maintain it instead of food
2) sits and watches the television instead of well; maybe working or doing something productive?

no wonder you are poor. All you do is exaggerate your circumstances, that's the only thing you know how to do. After a while, hysteresis kicks in, and that's the point where you say it so much even you start believing in your own lies. It's sad, really.

You clearly are incredibly ignorant have you heard of workfare? to get benefits you have to work pretty hard with forced volunteering schemes , you have to look for x numbers of jobs a week,you are forced into schemes to get some qualification or other( english/maths, cleaning Level 1) etc. I am sick of people commenting on these issues who don't have a clue how the system works, my mam is on JSA and she doesn't just get the money for free like you people like to think.

Also, there are more people applying for jobs than there are jobs available therefore no matter how hard they try several people can't get jobs my mam has been applying for jobs for years and hasn't been able to get a job, if you are able to get a job its often part time or zero hour and doesn't help much.

It is unlikely you would people to eradicate relative poverty due to its definition and the difficulties with inequality but you certainly should be able to completely eradicate absolute poverty to 0% in all western countries but this has not happened in the UK you get sanctioned for the smallest of things and then you lose your JSA and your housing benefit is usually conditional on your JSA so you lose that and you can be left in complete destitution with £0 a week.No right wing nonsense is going to convince me that we can't guarantee that every member of a rich country should never have to live in absolute poverty.
Original post by SophieSmall

And he did pick a real degree he's a physicist you twirp.

fanks :P

Please explain how comparing Hong Kong and the UK is apples and oranges? Both are countries and have somewhat comparable economic system but Hong Kong is far better off at the moment. Why? Because we don't have so much government intervention on stuff that doesn't ened government intervention; like benefit payments.

At least our government isn't a Chinese puppet :fyi:
I feel bad for the UK since your country and the rest of europe is probably going to be completely screwed economically for the next 50 years because of the crappy system where you get stupid levels of benefits.

And pensions. Those things are too damn high as well.

You get half a pound a day in Hong Kong if you don't work. Minimum wage is like, 2 pound an hour. And that's why we have near full employment (maybe save for frictional unemployment) in Hong Kong.

I don't think those on £2 an hour would agree.I think you need to stop being tricked into all this economic growth crap, what is far more important is the welfare of the poorest people in a country and protecting them and ensuring they have enough to live and are getting a fair income for their work and people in Hong Kong are not, there is huge income inequality the rich are leeching off the poor and getting far more per hour then they should do.

http://feedinghk.org/hunger-stats/
Reply 46
Wow this is very eye opening. I think that there should be no shame in using food banks but more should be done to help them in the long run.
I am proud to say that every month when I get paid and do my big food shop at the co-op, I put some tins/jars/boxes of food into their food bank.

I don't do it so people will look at me and go 'oh, what a nice person you are'

I do it because I have been in the situation where I didn't know how I was going to eat, and it was ****ty and if I can help someone else in that situation then I will.
Original post by SophieSmall
Not sure if anyone else has posted this video yet (it's only 7 minutes long so it won't take too much of your time). It is a short micro play.

[video="youtube;wgE6P2qmKtA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgE6P2qmKtA&feature=shar e[/video]
It's basically about a politician who is completely out of touch with the reality of the lives of some of the poorest in Britain doing a "cooking segment" to show why the poorest shouldn't need to use food banks, and shows the attitude many who have never faced such hardship tend to have.

What was your take on this video?

From a different point of view, it in a way, it makes me question why the British poor are always seen as the victims of society. Surely the Brits have to learn to help themselves in such a developed country. What about the hundreds of millions starving globally in countries with active terrorist groups and no ability or hope of ever getting a job? What about the poor who live in countries with Ebola and bubonic plague, typhoons and droughts? What about those whose children are going blind due to vitamin A deficiency and knowing that you'll never be able to help them? This is extreme poverty that is never, and unlikely to ever, be seen in the western world.

To a certain extent, some (but by no means the majority) of Brits who are in that situation have brought it upon themselves and use drugs/alcohol/blaming others as an excuse. Most need to try to find work and support themselves and not expect it to come from others, as it must be very demoralising to feel as if you'll be penniless, unemployed and unable to financially support yourself forever.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I have a 'world class education', it took me 4 months after graduation to get a min wage temp job and I now find myself unemployed again. If my parents weren't keeping me I would be ****ed and would need financial help. Also you do relaise there is an optimum number of unemployed people for an economy to function well. It isn't zero. Capitalism needs unemployment. You have to do something with these people.

Well this thread got to post 25 before that sort showed up :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
But your a physicist? Doesn't a physics degree guarantee you a good job? What job are you doing now?What Russell Group uni did you go to? Now I am worried eek.
At least our government isn't a Chinese puppet :fyi:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, ****.Damn, shots were fired.Chaotic butterfly,you be annihilating the opposition quicker than a matter-antimatter interaction.
Physicist (Chaotic butterfly) vs Mathematician (CancerousProblem)
Round 1 1-0 to Physicist.
Original post by Cadherin
From a different point of view, it in a way, it makes me question why the British poor are always seen as the victims of society. Surely the Brits have to learn to help themselves in such a developed country. What about the hundreds of millions starving globally in countries with active terrorist groups and no ability or hope of ever getting a job? What about the poor who live in countries with Ebola and bubonic plague, typhoons and droughts? What about those whose children are going blind due to vitamin A deficiency and knowing that you'll never be able to help them? This is extreme poverty that is never, and unlikely to ever, be seen in the western world.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_relative_privation
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
But your a physicist? Doesn't a physics degree guarantee you a good job? What job are you doing now?What Russell Group uni did you go to? Now I am worried eek.

I was working as a production operator (aka moving things around, packing boxes and building pallets nothing to do with physics) in an old mill until a week and half ago when I was made redundant. So unemployed again :woo:

I graduated from a redbrick but non Russel group uni.

It's more to do with me as a person rather than the degree to be honest as to why I am doing so poorly.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/salford

I read this in Physics world recently which is interesting and calls into question the 'STEM shortage' narative.

blog.physicsworld.com/2014/10/17/the-stem-employment-paradox-revisited/

But ye if you can't get a job with something like a physics degree then you may as well give up on uni all together lol Basically I wouldn't worry that physics is a bad choice in terms of number of potential career options it can lead to.
(edited 9 years ago)
I was working as a production operator (aka moving things around, packing boxes and building pallets nothing to do with physics) in an old mill until a week and half ago when I was made redundant. So unemployed again :woo:

I graduated from a redbrick but non Russel group uni.

It's more to do with me as a person rather than the degree to be honest as to why I am doing so poorly.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/salford

I read this in Physics world recently which is interesting and calls into question the 'STEM shortage' narative.

blog.physicsworld.com/2014/10/17/the-stem-employment-paradox-revisited/

But ye if you can't get a job with something like a physics degree then you may as well give up on uni all together lol Basically I wouldn't worry that physics is a bad choice in terms of number of potential career options it can lead to.

Perhaps while unemployed, you could pull an Einstein and think up of some big revolutionary physics theory,like successfully uniting Quantum physics with general relativity?
Or mathematically solving and providing a smooth solution to parts of the Navier Stokes equations?
Original post by Kadak
Perhaps while unemployed, you could pull an Einstein and think up of some big revolutionary physics theory,like successfully uniting Quantum physics with general relativity?
Or mathematically solving and providing a smooth solution to parts of the Navier Stokes equations?

Ye... I'm not that good -.- Einstein did graduate from a polytechnic and worked at a post office when he was thinking up his stuff though... :biggrin:

I would have to understand general relativity first before I can unite it with quantum mechanics :tongue:

ANyway we are getting off topic. Best not to make SophieSmall angry :afraid:
(edited 9 years ago)
I can't help but thing this was an exaggerated situation. I mean, teabags? One tin of soup? Whatever that sauce is? It is possible to pick enough money off the ground to get a couple of tins of beans, or noodles.

Also how was the lady watching telly if electricity was supposedly turned off?
Original post by Snagprophet
I can't help but thing this was an exaggerated situation. I mean, teabags? One tin of soup? Whatever that sauce is? It is possible to pick enough money off the ground to get a couple of tins of beans, or noodles.

Also how was the lady watching telly if electricity was supposedly turned off?

When you've got no money left teabags and a tin of soup that expired in 1997 are usually the things you'll find at the back of a cupboard :smile: there's probably some money left on the electric metre enabling her to watch telly.
actually imo it wouldnt be bad if benefits like jsa was removed completely and replaced with free bread and milk. that would make more sense IMO

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending