The Student Room Group

UCL Medicine Offer Holders 2015

Hello everyone,

As the title suggests this is a thread for those who have received offers from UCL!!

Everyone excited ?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Hahah yeah buzzing. Just have to get the grades now
Reply 2
Yh exactly. Just the grades and the health questionnaire . Have u got started on that ? And have u applied for student finance and accommodation yet ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congrats on your offers! Any questions, feel free to quote me. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Harantony
Congrats on your offers! Any questions, feel free to quote me. :smile:

Thank you. :smile:

What year are you in and how was first year at UCL ?
Is accommodation guaranteed for those who live in London because I live like 30 minutes away?
And what are the halls of residences like?
When you were filling in your health questionnaire did you have to pay for your GP to fill in because my one is requiring payment of £25. And did you have to start your vaccines before the end of May?

Sorry for so many questions. I am just curious and very excited !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pinkgorilla

Is accommodation guaranteed for those who live in London because I live like 30 minutes away?
When you were filling in your health questionnaire did you have to pay for your GP to fill in because my one is requiring payment of £25. And did you have to start your vaccines before the end of May?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My GP charged me £75. It's ridiculous since all he did was literally print off a sheet showing all my vaccinations and their dates.
Reply 6
Original post by BrokenS0ulz
My GP charged me £75. It's ridiculous since all he did was literally print off a sheet showing all my vaccinations and their dates.

Really wow ?
Have u got your hep b vaccine yet and dos they charge you for that. At my gp it costs £30 per vaccine.

And is UCL your firm?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really wow ?
Have u got your hep b vaccine yet and dos they charge you for that. At my gp it costs £30 per vaccine.

And is UCL your firm?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I've got an appointment with a nurse at my GP's though for it to be done. Do you know if the only vaccine we need to get is the hep b vaccine?

I'm not sure if UCL is my firm yet since my offer is deferred, so I might take an offer I have for this year. I do really like UCL though, so will probably firm them :smile:. Wbu?
Reply 8
No, I've got an appointment with a nurse at my GP's though for it to be done. Do you know if the only vaccine we need to get is the hep b vaccine?

I'm not sure if UCL is my firm yet since my offer is deferred, so I might take an offer I have for this year. I do really like UCL though, so will probably firm them :smile:. Wbu?

Oh lucky you don't have to pay :smile:
Er I think on the form it states it all. I don't think I have had my bcg yet so I have to have that done as well. I think just everything on the list.

Sorry about that. My offer is for this year and I am definitely going to firm it but I am still waiting for replies post interview from Birmingham and UEA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh lucky you don't have to pay :smile:
Er I think on the form it states it all. I don't think I have had my bcg yet so I have to have that done as well. I think just everything on the list.

Sorry about that. My offer is for this year and I am definitely going to firm it but I am still waiting for replies post interview from Birmingham and UEA

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right, I'll make sure to have a read again.
It's ok, no need to be sorry. I was disappointed at first, but I think a gap year would be fun :smile:.
Oh right, I'll make sure to have a read again.
It's ok, no need to be sorry. I was disappointed at first, but I think a gap year would be fun :smile:.

That's true. And a gap year is a chance to make money which can be used to pay for uni and uni life in general as London is pretty expensive

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yh exactly. Just the grades and the health questionnaire . Have u got started on that ? And have u applied for student finance and accommodation yet ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going to start the health questionnaire this week definitely. I'm sure UCL will be my firm. I haven't applied for student finance or accommodations yet. I guess I'm slacking aren't I? Haha, pressure to meet the deadlines
Original post by Efemena15
I'm going to start the health questionnaire this week definitely. I'm sure UCL will be my firm. I haven't applied for student finance or accommodations yet. I guess I'm slacking aren't I? Haha, pressure to meet the deadlines

Yes me too. I have contacted the GP so next week I am going to go there and submit the questionnaire.
Same, I'm sure too but I'm still waiting on two more post interview.
No not really, I haven't applied for neither.
And yes and pressure to meet the grades. What subjects do you do btw?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes me too. I have contacted the GP so next week I am going to go there and submit the questionnaire.
Same, I'm sure too but I'm still waiting on two more post interview.
No not really, I haven't applied for neither.
And yes and pressure to meet the grades. What subjects do you do btw?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah there's plenty to do

I take Biology (AQA), Chemistry (OCR A) and Maths (Edexcel), you?

I'm in year 2 now! My first year was pretty good - making new friends, going to socials, joining societies etc.. It was easier than second year 2, so you tend to have more time, especially before Christmas, to do stuff. London is such a large, diverse city, you never run out of things to do!

I live 40 minutes away from UCL by tube, and still got accommodation from UCL - it's worth giving it a shot if you want to live out. I know lots of others from London too who also got accommodation - it's a great experience!

It depends which halls you're in. If you're in places like Ramsay Hall, it's very social and everyone tends to go there for pre-drinks etc.. Schafer is self-catered and quieter, but still people often go there for pre-drinks because it's quite large. Ifor Evans is often seen as a 'prison', and is in Camden. I personally wouldn't have wanted to stay there! I was in Campbell House West: a very small self-catered accommodation, so it was quiet, but it makes you closer to your flatmates. Personally, I liked it how it was, and it was only a 5 minute walk from university so I could literally wake up half an hour before a lecture. Most accommodation is pretty basic, so expect it to be a bit dusty; expect people to steal your food and equipment; expect to stay up until 4:30am talking to flatmates (or being kept up by flatmates' loudness). To me, it was great to live in Central London to explore it a bit more and be close to university, and it also allowed me to be more social and independent: I don't regret it one bit! At the end of the day, you can choose whether to go out with your flatmates, or have a Domino's in the kitchen, or have a film night or whatever. It's also a great way to make non-medic friends to keep you sane!

Yes, my GP made me pay for his letter which was annoying! I had my offer in December, so I got to start my vaccinations in January-time and had my BCG in March. Occupation Health at UCL tend to give you any outstanding vaccinations and also do a blood test to see if you're suitable for patient contact. Some came with no vaccinations but Occupation Health sort it out. I think it's now free, after students campaigned - I had to pay £120 for a blood test up front! *cries*.

Don't be sorry about so many questions! I had loads too :wink:
I'm in year 2 now! My first year was pretty good - making new friends, going to socials, joining societies etc.. It was easier than second year 2, so you tend to have more time, especially before Christmas, to do stuff. London is such a large, diverse city, you never run out of things to do!

I live 40 minutes away from UCL by tube, and still got accommodation from UCL - it's worth giving it a shot if you want to live out. I know lots of others from London too who also got accommodation - it's a great experience!

It depends which halls you're in. If you're in places like Ramsay Hall, it's very social and everyone tends to go there for pre-drinks etc.. Schafer is self-catered and quieter, but still people often go there for pre-drinks because it's quite large. Ifor Evans is often seen as a 'prison', and is in Camden. I personally wouldn't have wanted to stay there! I was in Campbell House West: a very small self-catered accommodation, so it was quiet, but it makes you closer to your flatmates. Personally, I liked it how it was, and it was only a 5 minute walk from university so I could literally wake up half an hour before a lecture. Most accommodation is pretty basic, so expect it to be a bit dusty; expect people to steal your food and equipment; expect to stay up until 4:30am talking to flatmates (or being kept up by flatmates' loudness). To me, it was great to live in Central London to explore it a bit more and be close to university, and it also allowed me to be more social and independent: I don't regret it one bit! At the end of the day, you can choose whether to go out with your flatmates, or have a Domino's in the kitchen, or have a film night or whatever. It's also a great way to make non-medic friends to keep you sane!

Yes, my GP made me pay for his letter which was annoying! I had my offer in December, so I got to start my vaccinations in January-time and had my BCG in March. Occupation Health at UCL tend to give you any outstanding vaccinations and also do a blood test to see if you're suitable for patient contact. Some came with no vaccinations but Occupation Health sort it out. I think it's now free, after students campaigned - I had to pay £120 for a blood test up front! *cries*.

What is the best self-catered social accomodation in your opinion? I don't think there would be enough food for me in catered. I'm 6"6' with a crazy metabolism so cooking for myself would be best.
Thanks a lot

Thanks.
I live very close too so I am glad that I will be able to live in the halls for at least a year because I want to get that uni experience.

Wow, sounds fun. I'm glad you had a good time xD
And thanks for all the info.

What was the timetable like for first year ? Was it 9-5lectures every day ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Efemena15
What is the best self-catered social accomodation in your opinion? I don't think there would be enough food for me in catered. I'm 6"6' with a crazy metabolism so cooking for myself would be best.
Thanks a lot

Hmm probably Schafer House - it's quite big with multiple blocks so is more social, and is self-catered. Haha I envy you!

Thanks.
I live very close too so I am glad that I will be able to live in the halls for at least a year because I want to get that uni experience.

Wow, sounds fun. I'm glad you had a good time xD
And thanks for all the info.

What was the timetable like for first year ? Was it 9-5lectures every day ?

No problem! There are 4 modules in first year - these are really general overviews:

Foundations of Health and Medical Practice - mostly 10 - 4/5 from what I remember, but quite a few breaks and independent study timetabled sessions (SPLs).

Infection and Defence - a bit more relaxed with fewer SPLs. Again, probably around 10-5 but with a few breaks.

Circulation and Breathing - more 9:00 lectures because of anatomy, finishing at 5ish.

Fluids, Nutrition and Metabolism - this is probably the most busy module - 9-5 isn't unusual!

There are a few exceptions: Wednesday afternoons are reserved for sports and so all timetable activities finish at 1:00 the latest. Also, on Thursdays, you will have Vertical Modules, so normally start at 9:00 but finish at 12:30ish and then have your Student Selected Component which can vary depending on what you choose. There are also some exceptions depending on the day: I remember starting at 12:00 sometimes, and sometimes finishing at 11:00 - 12:00 too! :smile:
Hmm probably Schafer House - it's quite big with multiple blocks so is more social, and is self-catered. Haha I envy you!

No problem! There are 4 modules in first year - these are really general overviews:

Foundations of Health and Medical Practice - mostly 10 - 4/5 from what I remember, but quite a few breaks and independent study timetabled sessions (SPLs).

Infection and Defence - a bit more relaxed with fewer SPLs. Again, probably around 10-5 but with a few breaks.

Circulation and Breathing - more 9:00 lectures because of anatomy, finishing at 5ish.

Fluids, Nutrition and Metabolism - this is probably the most busy module - 9-5 isn't unusual!

There are a few exceptions: Wednesday afternoons are reserved for sports and so all timetable activities finish at 1:00 the latest. Also, on Thursdays, you will have Vertical Modules, so normally start at 9:00 but finish at 12:30ish and then have your Student Selected Component which can vary depending on what you choose. There are also some exceptions depending on the day: I remember starting at 12:00 sometimes, and sometimes finishing at 11:00 - 12:00 too! :smile:

Thanks again xD
Sounds good.
And I think I might be choosing Schafer house , I hope it's ensuite :smile:

One more question, for the health questionnaire I have to start my hep b vaccinations at my own gp right ? even though this will cost me :/
Do I have to get my bcg done as well because my gp doesn't do it?
And all other vaccines I might not have had, do I need to do these before bed school ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks again xD
Sounds good.
And I think I might be choosing Schafer house , I hope it's ensuite :smile:

One more question, for the health questionnaire I have to start my hep b vaccinations at my own gp right ? even though this will cost me :/
Do I have to get my bcg done as well because my gp doesn't do it?
And all other vaccines I might not have had, do I need to do these before bed school ?

Schafer's normally a shared bathroom I'm afraid! :frown:

I started my Hep B injections at my GP, yes. It's probably best to do these ASAP so the medical school don't need to wait 6 months or whatever to get you fully immunised.

My GP didn't do a BCG either, but I went to another local health centre and they did it. Maybe ask your GP if there's a service you can go to?

Whatever the med school says for you to get done, that's what you need. The blood test they do tests for Hep B, Hep C and HIV and they also check for the BCG :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending