The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jammy4041
He'll be looking to complete the set...but at least Blount will never become part of the Philadelphia Ducks.

Oh definitely haha,

Also I don't think McCourty is gonna be re-signed.
Original post by Malevolent
Oh definitely haha,

I'm hearing from Buffalo Rumblings that apparently Kiko Alonso wanted to be traded. That's interesting. They got the best player they could. Rex Ryan's going to have an elite defense again. They are literally a o-line and a half decent QB away.

That is a real shame. I'm still hoping some one gives up two firsts for DT, because I'm not keen on the idea of losing Orlando Franklin (The losses of Pot Roast, Julius Thomas, Rahim Moore, Jacob Tamme, Manny Ramirez, Britton Colquitt, Andre Caldwell this year...Demarcus Ware next year are more than bearable).

I honestly believe that McCourty is a top3 FS in this league. If it's a complement to how highly I value him, and to how highly I think that the Patriots should not let him go, it's that, if he's released, and Orlando Franklin is released, I hope the Broncos pay him. I'd be more than comfortable using the $7m or so that would have signed Franklin at guard, to pay for McCourty, to play Vasquez at RT, and fill in guard spots with rookie positions.

Looking at other potential surprise cuts...how's this for left field thinking? A comment that I saw on Mile High suggested cutting Ryan Clady. He has to take an outright pay cut or restructure next year anyway. Things won't work out otherwise.

Clady's coming off a lisfranc and wasn't worth his contract last year. In truth, he shouldn't have been a pro-bowler. In 2013, where the Broncos had elements of the ZBS, Chris Clark played well in his absense, and would still be relatively cheap. And then, draft a good LT to step in when Brock Osweiler comes to play. It's an interesting thought, and would allow the Broncos to resign a few more players this year and next.
I'm not sure though. They are damn soft linebacker wise. The Bills need 2 probably now. Spikes won't cut it as a every down player.

I dunno where I rate McCourty. I think hes a damn good safety but I also think he isn't top 3. He just doesn't make enough plays to be up there. Still no rumblings of a Wilfork restructure/cut nor Mayo which is surprising.
I'm not sure though. They are damn soft linebacker wise. The Bills need 2 probably now. Spikes won't cut it as a every down player.

I dunno where I rate McCourty. I think hes a damn good safety but I also think he isn't top 3. He just doesn't make enough plays to be up there. Still no rumblings of a Wilfork restructure/cut nor Mayo which is surprising.

They managed well enough last year and it's a deep draft for the ILB position, and with the RB position filled, it's something that can be addressed in the third or fourth round. AJ Hawk is also still available, although he's not an everydown backer. While I would agree that spikes is a two-down backer, there will be some good free agents available.

Regarding McCourty, I would say getting a great FS almost as tough as getting a great quarterback.

Though there are better strong safeties, I'd easily rate McCourty as a top-3 FS. I can honestly only think of Earl Thomas and Eric Wheddle being better FS.
Reply 604
hmm I'm a Tampa fan too
Man missing the NFL season bad right now. Can't wait for the draft and for Bill to make some pick that no one ever saw coming :lol:
Reply 606
Man missing the NFL season bad right now. Can't wait for the draft and for Bill to make some pick that no one ever saw coming :lol:

Bill isn't picking up Wilfork's option! He's the Pats guy on D, he's the only Patriot I actually think is an okay guy. Now I hate the Patriots even more :frown:

I am the same though, I'm in a lull at uni so the procrastination is biting and I just want free agency to start, and then once the early carnage is over I'll be desperate for the draft to start. For a Jags fan FA and the draft have been the best parts of the season for the past few years. The Jags literally have 70M to spend as a baseline too, it could get exciting.
Original post by Wattsy
Bill isn't picking up Wilfork's option! He's the Pats guy on D, he's the only Patriot I actually think is an okay guy. Now I hate the Patriots even more :frown:

I am the same though, I'm in a lull at uni so the procrastination is biting and I just want free agency to start, and then once the early carnage is over I'll be desperate for the draft to start. For a Jags fan FA and the draft have been the best parts of the season for the past few years. The Jags literally have 70M to spend as a baseline too, it could get exciting.

Oh **** no. Man that actually makes me really sad. I love big Vince. Damn Wattsy I didn't even see that until I saw your message. Tom Brady is now the only guy left on the team from 2005. Jesus thats a long time ago. :sad:

Give it all to your punter haha. Although seriously I agree can see you guys making a splash. I think Cobb would be a good start, also not sure why but I feel like you guys might be in play for DeMarco Murray.

now this makes me extremely sad now.
Reply 609
I'm sad too. Wilfork is such a hero! He earned all $8M of his potential incentives last year rebounding from that Achilles.

On the Jags I hope we don't go after Murray, I like Shoelace in a committee with Johnson and 2nd or 3rd round draft pick, if that draft pick becomes an every down back then Brucey bonus. I don't think Murray can repeat last season so you're guaranteed to overpay. I think their first target should be Bulaga at RT because Pasztor is a turnstile. Cobb would be a nice veteran presence in the young WR core as Shorts III looks to be on his way out but the next guy on my list would be McCourty. Josh Evans is ****e and I think Cyprien can make plays if he's not hamstrung on the other side by a really awful FS. 3rd has to be a TE because Mercedes is not getting it done. I liked Julius Thomas but not for $10M a year! That's obscene.
(edited 9 years ago)

now this makes me extremely sad now.

I knew Bilichick was cold but wow...Wilfork's been your best defensive player for years. I didn't think he would just be let go like that. I hope he doesn't become a Raider now next to Pot Roast. (would be much cheaper than pursuing Suh if he becomes available). They'd have some scary hog mollies, and dare I say it, an awesome line.

Patriots are still $4m in the red. Consider it $10m in the red, with the money that it will take to sign the rookies. So, I'm afraid to say it, there's more difficult decisions to be made.

If it's any consolation, the Broncos firesale will start soon enough. I will be annoyed if Orlando Franklin goes. He'd make $8-9m at least. Zane Beadles got a $6m deal at LG, and Orlando Franklin's a big upgrade, and can still play RT.
Thing is whatever the patrios do with Revis will free up the cap big time now so I'm not worried. I'm really devastated about Vince thiugh.
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

What are the Bears thinking? Brandon Marshall to the JETS?

Does this mean, with Harvin, Decker and Marshall that they have an 'elite' WR corps now?
Nooo this means the Jets are more likely to release Harvin so we're more likely to get a 6th rounder rather than 4th.

Also think the Eagles won the Kiko-Shady trade
Yeah I think they ditch Harvin unless he takes a big pay cut. You lose a 4th rounder and something like 10m bucks to keep an injury prone guy who supposedly has attitude problems and has been underperforming anyway? Nah. Kerley, Decker and Marshall is a very nice group of starters, but depth is still a problem and Harvin doesn't do a great job of addressing it because of his injury history. I think fans get carried away with "on paper" strength at the top end of a position, but honestly if one of those guys goes down you end up with a mediocre receiver having to work in their 3WR sets which are very common in the NFL, and that's not good news. The Marshall pickup is a very good move for them though, he has a team friendly contract, and is exactly what Geno has been missing in terms of experience, size, route running and hands. Whether they stick with Geno is another matter (I wouldn't be surprised if they did and he has a good year) but whoever steps in at QB should have a much better chance to succeed. It also gives them more flexibility. They still need to draft a WR in my opinion, but it's a depth guy who could be a project, or someone who isn't an every down guy, or someone without the measurables but is decent at getting open. In other words, it frees up their first rounder to take the best player available, which is a position every team wants to be in.
And we release Zach Miller. Interesting, we did fine when he was injured but we'll miss the blocking aspect definitely. And now we lack depth there, which is a little frustrating because it now seems like we lack depth in quite a few places (interior o-line, WR, TE, secondary, defensive interior and with Schofield and Smith likely out, LB is hardly strong behind the starters). Don't get me wrong I'd say we have the best starting lineup overall in the league (Pats, Broncos etc. alongside) but depth is definitely an issue
Rather pleased with the B-Marsh acquisition :smile:

A bit gutted about releasing Harvin though, I guess a WR trio of Marshall, Harvin and Decker was too good to be true :frown:
Harvin being released isnt a surprise.

I really hope the rumblings of the pats being interested in Hartlne are true. The guy is soft as ****. At least amendola as fragile as he is doesn't shy away from contact.

Predictions for who will be the biggest FA bust?

Predictions for who will be the biggest FA bust?

Pains me to say it, but Byron Maxwell
Original post by cant_think_of_name
Pains me to say it, but Byron Maxwell

Cause you think he might be exposed without the LOB?

Quick Reply

Latest