The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
Original post by Malevolent

Predictions for who will be the biggest FA bust?

Put me all in on Julius Thomas, the guy wants waaaay too much money and he's not a football guy.
Original post by Wattsy
Put me all in on Julius Thomas, the guy wants waaaay too much money and he's not a football guy.

I think this is a good shout. He's a 4th round pick who is not a burner, and he's not a great blocker either. He plays for a weak armed quarterback with elite accuracy and playcalling genius who throws hot all the time against blitzes instead of using extra blockers or scrambling. If you could design a system to inflate a TE's numbers, it would be Denver's.
Anyone got their own mock drafts yet or is it still too early? :P

I hope the Rams take whichever one's still there at 10 out of Cooper & White (if either of them are). We need to invest in WR, especially as it seems Britt isn't returning and that we're sticking with Bradford.

And speaking of Sammy, I swear to God, if this isn't his absolute last chance to stay healthy and play like a top overall pick, I'm going to lose my ****.
Buffalo just paid Shady big time. I don't think that was a good idea.

He's getting paid like 50% more in his first year than Cobb.
(edited 9 years ago)
Cause you think he might be exposed without the LOB?

Yes, hes going to be paid like a shutdown and he's just an above average starter really. I don't think he'll be bad, but he'll be overpaid
Original post by cant_think_of_name
Pains me to say it, but Byron Maxwell

All of the Dream Team's targets have a good chance of busting IMO :laugh:
Reply 626
Apparently the Jags are just failing to successfully negotiate with anyone good who's not named Julius Thomas, I really don't think this ends well. Just checked the interweb and according to two sources JT will sign with Jacksonville.

#PrayForDave but I really don't think this ends well, he's good but he's not #1 TE in the league good and that was the price he was pitching himself at. He's better than Lewis who's getting paid like $7M anyway so maybe it's not a horror story on the price. I assume he goes out of the door now. I hope JT proves me wrong, if anyone can convert a mercenary it's Gus Bradley. Just look at the D-Line acquisitions, they're invested!
Original post by Wattsy

I'm so glad he's gone. For $2m-$3m, he's a good option. Any more than that? No way! He high points the ball well, but he is lazy. I would try him in the slot, like the Saints do with Jimmy Graham, but, he's a terrible route runner.

Original post by Scott129
Anyone got their own mock drafts yet or is it still too early? :P

I hope the Rams take whichever one's still there at 10 out of Cooper & White (if either of them are). We need to invest in WR, especially as it seems Britt isn't returning and that we're sticking with Bradford.

And speaking of Sammy, I swear to God, if this isn't his absolute last chance to stay healthy and play like a top overall pick, I'm going to lose my ****.

I have a few mock drafts, but I'll probably do another one when the dust settles after this week. Never too early for a mock draft!!

This is one with some of the speculation of free agency, as it becomes clearer. http://www.walterfootball.com/Mocks/Mock/32898/

As a Rams fan, you may not appreciate it however...I think LT is more of a need than a WR. Doral Green-Beckham could be available anywhere from the second to fourth rounds, Matt Miller anything from the 6th round to UDFA (amazing player for the Boise State Broncos, just falls because he's made of glass...would have been a second to fourth round pick. Sammie Coates, Devin Smith, Phillip Dorsett, Nelson Agholor are other options, who at the very least would be available in the second, if not the third, and in the case of Nelson Agholor, maybe even the fourth. Personally, the WR class is every bit as good as last year's, there's lots of depth.

Franchise LTs are harder to come by, and Jake Long cannot be trusted to be healthy. Greg Robinson has athleticism, but he would be a better guard, or RT. Having those bookends would be a boon to the offense, and at the very worst, when the Rams replace Sam Bradford, they have some franchise book-ends for the new QB.
Agree with the consensus that many see J.T to very likely be a bust. The contract Maxwell got from the Eagles seems mightily high as well...

Miami signing Suh isn't that good of a move. They have so many holes in their team besides that. Teams like the Seahawks, Patriots and Packers don't blow so much of their cap space on one guy.
Agree with the consensus that many see J.T to very likely be a bust. The contract Maxwell got from the Eagles seems mightily high as well...

Miami signing Suh isn't that good of a move. They have so many holes in their team besides that. Teams like the Seahawks, Patriots and Packers don't blow so much of their cap space on one guy.

Maimi signing Suh isn't the mistake that it is the Jags signing Julius Thomas. I like Maxwell as a corner. He's physical, has good length, and even though teams targeted him and not Sherman, he still did a good job. He'd improve any team's secondary.

Since he's not from Oregon, I'm surprised Kelly went for him...:tongue: The Eagles are making splashes, but teams pay for potential. Maxwell has a ton of upside.

For Miami, they had to improve their d-line. They were abysmal against the run down the stretch. In most of my mock drafts previously, I had Eddie Goldman going to them with their first round pick. Much better value than Suh. It will now probably be spent on a CB now, as they need to address that soon. They'll be in a bit of a cap situation soon, since Tannehill will be looking to be paid.

Even for the Raiders, it makes more sense to get Knighton and Wilfork to sure up the line, and both could probably be had for the price of Suh, as good as he is. I'm just glad Suh isn't going to the Chargers to play our fragile o-line, twice a season. Thank goodness the Dolphins took him.

I'm less impressed that Orlando Franklin is basically going to the Chargers though. He could have played RT, or LG in the ZBS. Maybe Elway has a lot of confidence in Michael Shofield and Ben Garland to step up, but it's very concerning....

The others can walk, but Orlando Franklin should have been locked up. Hopefully this means the Broncos can make a proper run for Devin McCourty. TE can be addressed with the addition of Owen Daniels, and through the draft, but finding a good FS is harder than finding a tiny needle in the world's biggest haystack.
McCourty has been retained. Now if we can get a deal done with Revis we will have 5.7 million in cap space.

Make it happen. Trade Mayo.
McCourty has been retained. Now if we can get a deal done with Revis we will have 5.7 million in cap space.

Make it happen. Trade Mayo.

Wow. That's a heck of deal. Great player will be paid. I know he turned down more money elsewhere, but 47.5M, and a 5 year deal is very good.

Still...I thought the Broncos had a real chance at getting him. You already know how much I rate McCourty. Hopefully, the Raiders, Giants and Jaguars can over pay for the services of Rahim Moore.
(If he goes to them, he'll be the biggest F.A. bust, even above Julius Thomas, who would come in a close second.)

Even consider Wilfork off the roster, by my reckoning, they're currently about 13M in the red. Consider it $20M that they have to find somehow, considering the need to sign the draft class.

Of course, Revis is a deal that can be worked out. Take out 8m or so in the bonuses and switch them to guarantees, and he should stay a Patriot.

I also thought that they had to be under the cap before free agency starts and then under the cap by the time the rosters are trimmed to 53?

Were there any other transactions? Did the Pats cut Amendola and Nate Solder or something??

Great bit of business...but I wasn't expecting that considering the cap situation...

EDIT: Yes...the Patriots have to be in compliance with the salary cap on Tuesday, before FA begins.

As do the Chiefs. And the Saints. The 6m for rookies can be accounted for before the rosters are trimmed to 53, however. So, the Patriots need to find $13m right now. A post-june 1st could be likely for Mayo, but that benefit doesn't help them to get under the cap on Tuesday, as far as I'm aware.

Expect big moves tomorrow.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jammy4041
Wow. That's a heck of deal. Great player will be paid. I know he turned down more money elsewhere, but 47.5M, and a 5 year deal is very good.

Still...I thought the Broncos had a real chance at getting him. You already know how much I rate McCourty. Hopefully, the Raiders, Giants and Jaguars can over pay for the services of Rahim Moore.
(If he goes to them, he'll be the biggest F.A. bust, even above Julius Thomas, who would come in a close second.)

Even consider Wilfork off the roster, by my reckoning, they're currently about 13M in the red. Consider it $20M that they have to find somehow, considering the need to sign the draft class.

Of course, Revis is a deal that can be worked out. Take out 8m or so in the bonuses and switch them to guarantees, and he should stay a Patriot.

I also thought that they had to be under the cap before free agency starts and then under the cap by the time the rosters are trimmed to 53?

Were there any other transactions? Did the Pats cut Amendola and Nate Solder or something??

Great bit of business...but I wasn't expecting that considering the cap situation...

EDIT: Yes...the Patriots have to be in compliance with the salary cap on Tuesday, before FA begins.

As do the Chiefs. And the Saints. The 6m for rookies can be accounted for before the rosters are trimmed to 53, however. So, the Patriots need to find $13m right now. A post-june 1st could be likely for Mayo, but that benefit doesn't help them to get under the cap on Tuesday, as far as I'm aware.

Expect big moves tomorrow.

Either they refuse to pick up the 2nd yr option and he moves on (saves 20m dollars), or they reach an extension (saves approx. 10m dollars).

The first year cap hit for Devin McCourty is likely structured to be 1/2 of what the franchise tag was, or at least no more than 60 percent.

Patriots have many options haha which is why I'm not worried. Restructuring Mayo and Solder could still happen as well.

A few sources saying 49ers are shopping Kaepernick.
Either they refuse to pick up the 2nd yr option and he moves on (saves 20m dollars), or they reach an extension (saves approx. 10m dollars).

The first year cap hit for Devin McCourty is likely structured to be 1/2 of what the franchise tag was, or at least no more than 60 percent.

Patriots have many options haha which is why I'm not worried. Restructuring Mayo and Solder could still happen as well.

A few sources saying 49ers are shopping Kaepernick.

Of course, that make sense. It's the roster bonus that has the biggest cap hit...so getting him an extra, or even two years, increasing the base salary, and then rolling that bonus into guarantees would help.

Franchise tag for the safety position is $9.6M. I can see the deal being backloaded in terms of salary, but with more guarantee up front. I can see McCourty being paid $6m-7m for the 2015 season. That's a real good deal though..

It's great for the Patriots, and that's why they're perennial contenders. And the current SB champs.

I'm just bitter because Orlando Franklin is going to the Chargers, and the Broncos haven't done anything in free agency. Either they have a ton of confidence in the draftees, or they are looking at the bargain bin. I'm not concerned with this year, but next year is going to be horrible.
I must admit I was rather worried that McCourty might have headed to the Broncos cause from what he said quite a few teams were interested and he named them but then he said he was about to sign with another but chose not to name it.

Franklin leaving is a surprise. Now the Chargers will have Franklin and fluker haha. Pretty beefy.
I must admit I was rather worried that McCourty might have headed to the Broncos cause from what he said quite a few teams were interested and he named them but then he said he was about to sign with another but chose not to name it.

Franklin leaving is a surprise. Now the Chargers will have Franklin and fluker haha. Pretty beefy.

The AFC-West and AFC-East will sure be interesting next season. The Chargers, Chiefs and Raiders will all close the gap on the Broncos, but the Broncos cannot afford to stand still. I honestly believe that the Chargers and Chiefs are in a better position than the Broncos next year. Playoffs would be a bonus at this point.

The Patriots are still the cream of the crop in the AFC-East, but the Jets, Dolphins and Bills especially have made some nice moves. Bills look to be dark horses for a wildcard spot. They've re-tooled the running game, should still boast an elite front sever, improved the QB. Dolphins have made some nice moves. They can make a run for Trae Waynes or one of the elite corners in the draft, to complement Brent Grimes. The d-line can now be addressed later, and with depth purposes. Pieces on the o-line, here and there, and an ILB, and they will be there or thereabouts.

With the Chargers, Fluker's moving inside to guard, and they've got King Dunlap at LT, I believe, but it's nice to have the versatility of a lineman who can play guard and RT. They made some nice move resigning Brandon Flowers and signing Jacoby Jones. I've seen them linked with Wilfork.

Had Suh signed for them, as well as Franklin, in addition to McCourty being resigned by the Patriots, and Virgil Green taking his sweet time to consider other options, it really would have capped the worst possible pre free-agency moves for the Broncos.

Chiefs have done some good business, signing Maclin and restructuring Tamba Hali's contract. I'd expect Bowe to be cut, to free up some cap space, but it is manageable. A few pieces on the o-line to protect Alex Smith, a tall corner, a WR1A to complement Maclin (a WR1B), and they are in annoyingly good shape.

Even the Raiders have been aggressive in who they have been cutting to free up cap space. They'll have good draft picks as well, although they will have to start tying up their roster to long term deals.

Maybe I'll feel better after the draft. My ideal draft goes something like this. It'll never happen, but I've tried to be realistic...

1. OLB: Eli Harold, Virginia/Nate Orchard, Utah;
2. RT: Jake Fisher, Oregon /DJ Humphries, Florida;
3. ILB: Stephone Anthony, Clemson/Mike Hull, Penn State
4. CB/FS: Eric Rowe, Utah.
5a. OG/C: Shaq Mason, Georgia Tech. (from Chicago)
5b.
TE: Jesse James, Penn State.
6a.DE: Corey Crawford, Clemson.
6b.OG: Mitch Morse, Missouri. (compensatory)
6c. WR: Matt Miller, Boise State. (compensatory):
7a. FS: Isaiah Johnson, Georgia Tech.
7b. DE: Brandon Ivory, Alabama (compensatory)

UDFA -- ILB: DT Shackelford, Mississippi; Slot: Dontella Luckett, Harding; TE: Jean Sifrin, Massachusetts, P -- Kyle Loomis, Portland State.

Now I've had time to digest the Franchise Tag for Demayius Thomas, that $13m in cap space, it can only be described as an 'okay' move. I completely get the need to reload in the draft, but Franklin could have been brought back. All my predictions suggested cutting Caldwell, Manny Ramirez and Colquitt to save around $7m in cap. Add in to the effective $7m in cap, and there was the money to resign Orlando Franklin and make a serious bid for McCourty. $7m, fully guaranteed in the first year could have got him, rising to around $10m and above after 2017.

Mind you, I have heard that the Broncos, while okay for the cap, are cash-poor. It'll be interesting how that is dealt with...
(edited 9 years ago)
This is who I want to see come to Seattle during FA:

Stephen Paea
Jabaal Sheard
Andre Johnson
Stefen Wisniewski
Think Reggie Wayne should just retire. The guy is physically shot. He just isn't a problem for teams now.
Original post by jammy4041
I'm so glad he's gone. For $2m-$3m, he's a good option. Any more than that? No way! He high points the ball well, but he is lazy. I would try him in the slot, like the Saints do with Jimmy Graham, but, he's a terrible route runner.

I have a few mock drafts, but I'll probably do another one when the dust settles after this week. Never too early for a mock draft!!

This is one with some of the speculation of free agency, as it becomes clearer. http://www.walterfootball.com/Mocks/Mock/32898/

As a Rams fan, you may not appreciate it however...I think LT is more of a need than a WR. Doral Green-Beckham could be available anywhere from the second to fourth rounds, Matt Miller anything from the 6th round to UDFA (amazing player for the Boise State Broncos, just falls because he's made of glass...would have been a second to fourth round pick. Sammie Coates, Devin Smith, Phillip Dorsett, Nelson Agholor are other options, who at the very least would be available in the second, if not the third, and in the case of Nelson Agholor, maybe even the fourth. Personally, the WR class is every bit as good as last year's, there's lots of depth.

Franchise LTs are harder to come by, and Jake Long cannot be trusted to be healthy. Greg Robinson has athleticism, but he would be a better guard, or RT. Having those bookends would be a boon to the offense, and at the very worst, when the Rams replace Sam Bradford, they have some franchise book-ends for the new QB.

Yup, O-Line is the other major need. Long can't stay healthy, Wells is ****e & Barksdale looks to be on his way out in FA. Robinson will be LG which, after picking him no.2 overall, is disappointing in itself.

I'd like to see us make a play for Wisniewski, to be honest. We have to address some of our needs now, especially as we only have 5 picks in the draft.
So I've ended up drifting away from the Patriots since I can't seem to really stick with an NFL team. It's like I try to throw my support behind one and then lose interest in them.

Really frustrating since I want to start the next NFL season as my first full one with a team to support the whole way, not joining halfway through the season :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest