The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Red Fox
I'm not worried about paying the loans off after but more about actually having enough money to enjoy my time at uni.

And me. After I've paid my rent (94/week) I'll have £9 a week for food, toiletries, going out etc :lol: gonna be squeezing my overdraft and working all through this summer
Student loans really are a joke to be honest

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Red Fox
I'm not worried about paying the loans off after but more about actually having enough money to enjoy my time at uni.

I've actually imagined so many trips abroad that I want to take during uni haha
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I hope, is it the right bank to choose hmm :lol:

Santander have a fairly decent overdraft I think, they seem popular amongst students

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rachelc142
And me. After I've paid my rent (94/week) I'll have £9 a week for food, toiletries, going out etc :lol: gonna be squeezing my overdraft and working all through this summer
Student loans really are a joke to be honest

Posted from TSR Mobile

My rent is probably going to be 140/week:emo: but I haven't worked out how much I'll have left yet.
Original post by binarythoughts
I've actually imagined so many trips abroad that I want to take during uni haha

I want to go France next summer for the Euros so I'll need to save up for that.
Original post by Princepieman
Posted from TSR Mobile

MSci Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence with a year abroad. :smile:

That's cool! Have you applied for accommodation and whatnot yet?
How long does this whole student finance thing take ?

So not bothered now

Not sure, haven't done it yet!
Santander have a fairly decent overdraft I think, they seem popular amongst students

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well they're only 1500 overdraft for first year compared to 3k with others but I'm not gonna be using overdraft, and then they have a decent amount of interest.

Free railcard for four years useful for Cambridge and that

I think I will
Original post by Red Fox
My rent is probably going to be 140/week:emo: but I haven't worked out how much I'll have left yet.

Omg whaaat, what kind of accommodation are you going for?
I just went for the cheapest possible room, like I'm not bothered about catering or ensuite or whatever, not going to uni to stay in a hotel
How long is the tenancy at your halls? I think mine is 45 weeks
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blamethenargles
That's cool! Have you applied for accommodation and whatnot yet?

Nope, literally just accepted my choices today. I'm probably going to apply for a private shared bathroom (Hugh Stewart has tonnes of those) as a 1st choice, then en-suite at Jubilee. I'm definitely going catered! I'll apply on Monday.

What accommodation are you thinking about?
I just went for the cheapest possible room, like I'm not bothered about catering or ensuite or whatever, not going to uni to stay in a hotel
Posted from TSR Mobile
Just an ensuite room, not catered. The tenancy is 38 weeks at £144/week.
Posted from TSR Mobile

See, all the catered accommodation is on campus at Notts so I feel it's worth going catered for the social aspect.

Even though it'll cost £185 - £200/week - bloody 31 week leases!!
Original post by Red Fox

Gonna get a job?
Nope, literally just accepted my choices today. I'm probably going to apply for a private shared bathroom (Hugh Stewart has tonnes of those) as a 1st choice, then en-suite at Jubilee. I'm definitely going catered! I'll apply on Monday.

What accommodation are you thinking about?

That's cool! I've gone for En suites at St Peter's Court and Raleigh Park, and a standard large at Broadgate park (That's nearer where I'm studying so it's more expensive, the others are near Jubilee but there's a free bus to University Park)
They're all self catered, I applied Monday! Hopefully I'll find out what I've got soon! My student finance letter arrived on Friday and I've got enough on my maintenance loan to cover all my choices (I think)
I think mine works out around 150/week non catered, but super short terms so... 4k max a year. More likely to be 3.3k ish
Gonna get a job?

Yeah I will most likely try to get a job if I go to Bath.
Original post by Red Fox
Just an ensuite room, not catered. The tenancy is 38 weeks at £144/week.

Oh 38 weeks is decent. Do you feel an ensuite is worth the money?

See, all the catered accommodation is on campus at Notts so I feel it's worth going catered for the social aspect.

Even though it'll cost £185 - £200/week - bloody 31 week leases!!

That's so expensive omg </3 luckily for me all of the cheapest accommodation is on one site in Manchester but it's away from the main ""campus"" (i hate calling it that because it's just a main road with the buildings dotted around, which is what I like, not really a fan of campus unis)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh 38 weeks is decent. Do you feel an ensuite is worth the money?

That's so expensive omg </3 luckily for me all of the cheapest accommodation is on one site in Manchester but it's away from the main ""campus"" (i hate calling it that because it's just a main road with the buildings dotted around, which is what I like, not really a fan of campus unis)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I definitely want an ensuite plus the accommodation I want to stay in only has ensuite rooms anyway.
Anyone going to work over the summer?
Original post by H.Ibrahim
Anyone going to work over the summer?

I'll be doing a paid internship.
I'll be doing a paid internship.

That sounds great! What will the internship consist of?
Lol I'm borrowing 2,190 for maintenance because I want a round number in total for borrowing.

Although I could not borrow at all from that, but I feel I might as well. Live in some luxury :lol:

Question

How much is 23k ish after the interest we'll have approximately? For the average time it takes to pay it back (idk how long that is, or what the rate will be for us)
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest