The Student Room Group

University of Groningen or Tilburg University?

I am currently trying to decide whether I should study International and European Law at the University of Groningen or Global Law at Tilburg University.

Any current students of either university or anyone with any knowledge of either I would greatly appreciate your advice!
Original post by DackAkin
I am currently trying to decide whether I should study International and European Law at the University of Groningen or Global Law at Tilburg University.

Any current students of either university or anyone with any knowledge of either I would greatly appreciate your advice!

Hello :smile:

It's great you're considering studying in the Netherlands. I can provide answers to any of your questions regarding studying at the University of Groningen however I might be a bit biased! A great website to check student perspectives about these institutions is www.stexx.eu - these are student reviews about the institutions (although they are not in depth about the programme) but I hope it is useful. Of course if you would like to visit our Law faculty and find out more about the programme we would love to arrange that for you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hello,
I'm Amy and I am in my second year of the Global law program in Tilburg and I'm happy to help you with any of your questions about the course!!
The main difference and what makes Global Law unique is that you approach Law in a more abstract way, by that I mean rather than focusing on one jurisdiction and learning the national laws in detail, we focus on the concepts behind the laws. For example if were studying tort law and a particular aspect of it we look at the different theories and around 5 main jurisdictions including the perspectives of civil and common law.
It also differs from studying International and European law course as they focus on those legal systems and those specific actors whereas our course covers international law private and public as well as an introductory course in European law, among many other courses which provides a broad knowledge of many different elements of law. The courses are very multidisciplinary and in this sense it varies from many other law courses because it does not focus on making lawyers, many of my fellow students are also interested in working in NGO's or Multinational organisations, and of course becoming a lawyer is also a possibility!
Tilburg itself is a nice city particularly for students and from my experience of moving away from home very manageable as it is not that big, with lots for students to do. The university is laid out on a campus which from what I've heard is quite unusual for the Netherlands!
Please don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions, I hope that helped!
Original post by DackAkin

May I ask you what decision have you made? what do you think would have been the best one? Are there some differences between the programmes? I really don't know what to choose.
May I ask you what decision have you made? what do you think would have been the best one? Are there some differences between the programmes? I really don't know what to choose.
I have not studied there (did a language course at Utrecht) but have been to both places, and of the two if I had to choose would pick Groningen. Just because I preferred the place (I stayed there because I was visiting a seal sanctuary nearby). I suggest you think about your interests away from study and what and where the Netherlands has to offer on those.
What are the features of the two cities?

Quick Reply