The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Higlet
Right... I think I've decided that eventually when Leeds finally decide to reject me, that I'm going to take Manchester met as my firm and Birmingham City as my insurance. It seems silly to waste Manchester mets offer and they replied so quick from my interview which I'm guessing means I had something they wanted for their course!
Now I need to start exploiting accommodation... Anyone got any ideas?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woohoo! Well done - an excellent choice/decision - and at least this way both choices will qualify you as an SLT (though am sure you will get the grades for MMU in any event)

Exciting times!
Original post by AmyPilot
Woohoo! Well done - an excellent choice/decision - and at least this way both choices will qualify you as an SLT (though am sure you will get the grades for MMU in any event)

Exciting times!

Fingers crossed, just need to keep working hard now!! I have to say now I feel like I know where I want to go, I'm feeling way more motivated to revise!! It's gonna be worth it in the end!!
Oh wow, I'm feeling excited even though I haven't actually firmed it on ucas I have in my head haha! Just need to wait for Leeds to respond so that I can do it!!
By the way, when does the year finish at Manchester met? Is it May, June or July?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Higlet
Fingers crossed, just need to keep working hard now!! I have to say now I feel like I know where I want to go, I'm feeling way more motivated to revise!! It's gonna be worth it in the end!!
Oh wow, I'm feeling excited even though I haven't actually firmed it on ucas I have in my head haha! Just need to wait for Leeds to respond so that I can do it!!
By the way, when does the year finish at Manchester met? Is it May, June or July?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good to have some extra motivation!

I live in private halls but if I can help with accommodation choices let me know (I do at least know the area and where the halls are etc).

Think its June - don't know exact date but do know we end the year with a clinical placement so who knows where we will be!
Good to have some extra motivation!

I live in private halls but if I can help with accommodation choices let me know (I do at least know the area and where the halls are etc).

Think its June - don't know exact date but do know we end the year with a clinical placement so who knows where we will be!

Ahhh ok! I've looked at the birley accommodation which looks close to the building we'll be in!
I've got until the 7th April until I can start deciding though! Are there any other halls you suggest that you've heard about?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Higlet
Or even exploring accommodation ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have a look on YouTube, I found the ACS society at DMU had created tour videos and it gave a proper good insight into the accommodation.
Original post by Higlet
Ahhh ok! I've looked at the birley accommodation which looks close to the building we'll be in!
I've got until the 7th April until I can start deciding though! Are there any other halls you suggest that you've heard about?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you firm Leeds if they gave you an offer?
Original post by JordanC55
Have a look on YouTube, I found the ACS society at DMU had created tour videos and it gave a proper good insight into the accommodation.

That's a good idea! Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JordanC55
Would you firm Leeds if they gave you an offer?

I don't know..
I think I'd go to the interview and then compare it with Manchester. I'm too fed up of waiting for them really though. I feel like they're taking the mess now.
I'm too scared to withdraw my application so I'm just going to wait until they respond.
But I'm full on expecting a rejection now anyway so in a way I hope they do reject me - I feel like now I've got offers I may not perform as well at interviews, plus I feel like I need to focus on Alevels now not uni interviews!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Higlet

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends what you are looking for. Birley accommodation is new and right on campus but that means its a short walk to Oxford Road for trains, social, the Union and the main library which is on All Saints and a bit further away from the city centre. Others fairly close are Briarfields Victoria, Oxford Court then Cambridge Halls if you don't mind a crowd (its a bit too wild there for me - not really a party girl and coursemates struggled with lack of sleep)! New Medlock is fairly close but that's a private hall that the uni takes rooms in. Daisy Bank and Wilmslow Park are too far away. Though will be living near Wilmslow Park next year but it easier when you have had a year to get familiar with the area.
Depends what you are looking for. Birley accommodation is new and right on campus but that means its a short walk to Oxford Road for trains, social, the Union and the main library which is on All Saints and a bit further away from the city centre. Others fairly close are Briarfields Victoria, Oxford Court then Cambridge Halls if you don't mind a crowd (its a bit too wild there for me - not really a party girl and coursemates struggled with lack of sleep)! New Medlock is fairly close but that's a private hall that the uni takes rooms in. Daisy Bank and Wilmslow Park are too far away. Though will be living near Wilmslow Park next year but it easier when you have had a year to get familiar with the area.

I think I'll be avoiding Oxford and Cambridge courts too then!!! was briarfields known for parties too? - I looked at that one and it seemed alright but I don't particularly want to be waking up at 3am every morning to hear drunk people banging around :/
I'm tempted by Birley accommodation, but there is 900+ living there so slightly worried it could get a bit rowdy, but then it seems to make sense if that's where I'm going to be spending a lot of my time!
I may look into the private one!

Do you know if you get put in flat things with people randomly or do they try pair you up with people on your course etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone started thinking about accommodation for Marjon???
Original post by Higlet
I think I'll be avoiding Oxford and Cambridge courts too then!!! was briarfields known for parties too? - I looked at that one and it seemed alright but I don't particularly want to be waking up at 3am every morning to hear drunk people banging around :/
I'm tempted by Birley accommodation, but there is 900+ living there so slightly worried it could get a bit rowdy, but then it seems to make sense if that's where I'm going to be spending a lot of my time!
I may look into the private one!

Do you know if you get put in flat things with people randomly or do they try pair you up with people on your course etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No oxford court isn't too bad - the party halls are Cambridge - I would check out the size of the flats - think Cambridge have large ones. Of course being in a smaller flat can have its problems if you don't get on with who you are stuck with! I know someone in Victoria which is smaller who has problems but others in Cambridge that love it. Its completely random who you get put with I think.

Birley flats/townhouses are quite big (10-15 people) a few on the course live there and like it. Would have been my first choice (was sure I wanted en suite) but the uni messed up my application so they ended up offering me halls I didn't want so that's why I went private (which isn't en suite but there is only 3 of us in the flat so its fine sharing).
No oxford court isn't too bad - the party halls are Cambridge - I would check out the size of the flats - think Cambridge have large ones. Of course being in a smaller flat can have its problems if you don't get on with who you are stuck with! I know someone in Victoria which is smaller who has problems but others in Cambridge that love it. Its completely random who you get put with I think.

Birley flats/townhouses are quite big (10-15 people) a few on the course live there and like it. Would have been my first choice (was sure I wanted en suite) but the uni messed up my application so they ended up offering me halls I didn't want so that's why I went private (which isn't en suite but there is only 3 of us in the flat so its fine sharing).

Ahh ok! Do you have to pick like a firm accommodation and an insurance in case your firm is fully booked?
Yeah, I think I'd like an ensuite too! Although 3 doesn't sound too bad!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Higlet
Ahh ok! Do you have to pick like a firm accommodation and an insurance in case your firm is fully booked?
Yeah, I think I'd like an ensuite too! Although 3 doesn't sound too bad!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I remember rightly you pick 4 in order of preference 1 to 4. They will not allocate halls to you until after your offer has gone unconditional (after results day).
Reply 2754
Does anyone know about defering at Marjon. Is it possible?
Well done everyone who has started making decisions.
If I remember rightly you pick 4 in order of preference 1 to 4. They will not allocate halls to you until after your offer has gone unconditional (after results day).

Ahhh ok! That makes sense! Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tcrj
Does anyone know about defering at Marjon. Is it possible?
Well done everyone who has started making decisions.

It's worth calling them and asking the question- I know some unis do defer but others don't
Got rejected from Leeds - there explanation
"Your personal statement does not demonstrate the full range of attributes required for this course"
I was expecting it but I still feel annoyed that they never even gave me a shot at an interview. Hey ho, everything happens for a reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Higlet
Got rejected from Leeds - there explanation
"Your personal statement does not demonstrate the full range of attributes required for this course"
I was expecting it but I still feel annoyed that they never even gave me a shot at an interview. Hey ho, everything happens for a reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's exactly the reason Reading gave for rejecting me - I literally think it's just a response they use when they found "better" applicants and they're just filtering you out! So I wouldn't take it personally to be honest.
Original post by izzydizzyyy
That's exactly the reason Reading gave for rejecting me - I literally think it's just a response they use when they found "better" applicants and they're just filtering you out! So I wouldn't take it personally to be honest.

Yeah that's true!
To be honest, every course looks for something different and Manchester met answered so quickly I've obviously got what they want so while I'm a bit annoyed, it's not the end of the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest