The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sr90
Our spending was also heavily limited by the Glazers bleeding money out of the club servicing their own debt. We should have been able to spend £150m every summer no problems, instead we replaced Ronaldo and Tevez with Antonio Valencia and Michael Owen, as well as having to bring Scholes out of retirement instead of signing a proper midfielder.

There are several seasons where Arsenal were in good positions to win something and completely bottled it, which has nothing to do with finances. Obviously it was a contributing factor but Wenger has to take a fair portion of the blame too.

Yeah I'm not arguing that we're a bunch of bottlers, but the explanation for our general decline as a team since 2005 is pretty obviously financial in origin. Certain seasons we have bottled it (Eduardo in '08, LC final in '11) but in general we were never in any financial shape to compete with United, City and Chelsea.
Fair enough Arsenal were limited by the stadium but don't think their fans can continue using finance as an excuse going forward. Certainly if you continue to bring in a marquee signing every summer (Ozil, Sanchez - though hard to say who it might be this year - perhaps Hummels). Stadium debt been paid off, wage bill rising in line with other clubs and get plenty of funds from expensive ticket prices.

Think Chelsea have done a really good job getting in line with FFP especailly considering where we were around 2010-2012 and how much we were spending and subsequently losing on players. If things continue as they are (Chelsea getting far in competitions, leading the league, CL SF etc and Arsenal continue as they have been the last two-three years i.e 4th place and occasional trophy) then you have to look to one-man to see why you're quite frankly under performing as a club. Swear you're academy is stuggling at the moment as well isn't it?
Original post by The Shed End
Fair enough Arsenal were limited by the stadium but don't think their fans can continue using finance as an excuse going forward. Certainly if you continue to bring in a marquee signing every summer (Ozil, Sanchez - though hard to say who it might be this year - perhaps Hummels). Stadium debt been paid off, wage bill rising in line with other clubs and get plenty of funds from expensive ticket prices.

Think Chelsea have done a really good job getting in line with FFP especailly considering where we were around 2010-2012 and how much we were spending and subsequently losing on players. If things continue as they are (Chelsea getting far in competitions, leading the league, CL SF etc and Arsenal continue as they have been the last two-three years i.e 4th place and occasional trophy) then you have to look to one-man to see why you're quite frankly under performing as a club. Swear you're academy is stuggling at the moment as well isn't it?

You're right, there is no excuse now. The Ozil signing was the watershed and any financial excuse has gone out the window now, Wenger has said this himself tbf.

Wrt the stadium debt it hasn't been paid off it's just an easily serviceable debt now, compared to the situation before the new commercial deals had been made.

Our academy is doing very poorly atm, U18s were relegated last season too. There was talk of a complete overhaul at the end of last season so I guess they're starting from scratch.

As I've said before, Wenger should have gone after the FA Cup win, but there wasn't really anyone we could get to replace him. If we have a plan in place with a manager lined up etc then I'm happy for Wenger to see out the contract. We have improved as a team in the last 2 years compared to the previous 3/4 so we are on the up (just not quickly enough).
Seems like a bit of a bs opinion that you can say Chelsea are now meeting fair play, seeing as they would have abused the system had it been in place for 10 years, and the fact they meet the requirements is more through selling old assets purchased in pre-FFP times.

At the same time we're less than 2 seasons in to being a "financial powerhouse" and even still, we're "only" capable of signing £50mil worth of players each year compared to others spending well over £100mil year in year out.

In 2 seasons time though I think the financial excuses will be exhausted
Original post by The Shed End

Our stadium debt hasn't been paid off... where do you people get your information from?
"You people"? What do you mean "You people"?

Spoiler

Original post by little_tom
Our stadium debt hasn't been paid off... where do you people get your information from?

Welcome back. Thoughts on below poster aka Luke.

Original post by Lućio
x
I will be with Arsene right till the bitter end, he has earnt that. For all the great moments, and all the bad, it's what being a football fan at a proper football club is about. Can't all be high, there are real lows too. The lows and all the near misses are what make the highs feel so amazing. The highs like last season's FA Cup have been really worth the wait.

Original post by Depleted
Welcome back. Thoughts on below poster aka Luke.

Subtle bait is subtle :wink:
Part of me now wants Liverpool to reach the FA Cup final, only for Brendan to not include Stevie in the squad. Would be the ultimate troll possible, though arguably would be a logical decision based on performances with and without Stevie :biggrin:
not sure what I want from the liverpool game today..

On the one hand, if they did get knocked out today, it would be a great upset, and make our loss tommorow just that much easier to take..

On the other hand it would give the cup to united, and I would actually prefer liverpool to win it, then for van gal to get united a trophy.. Normally I would prefer united over liverpool, but really just cant stand van gal.

replay would be nice actually.. give liverpool an extra away game.
Original post by fallen_acorns
not sure what I want from the liverpool game today..

On the one hand, if they did get knocked out today, it would be a great upset, and make our loss tommorow just that much easier to take..

On the other hand it would give the cup to united, and I would actually prefer liverpool to win it, then for van gal to get united a trophy.. Normally I would prefer united over liverpool, but really just cant stand van gal.

replay would be nice actually.. give liverpool an extra away game.

Replay is probably the best outcome, adds an unneeded game away from home
Original post by leinad2012
Replay is probably the best outcome, adds an unneeded game away from home

best for the leage, but if we are serrious about the cup, and actually get through united.. then a final four of arsenal, reading/bradford, villa, blackburn.. would just be :drool:

Bassically either option apart from a late liverpool winner is good by me
Absolute BANTA if Lpool lose to Blackburn away and we overcome United :rofl2:

Not happening though, but would be funny.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Absolute BANTA if Lpool lose to Blackburn away and we overcome United :rofl2:

Not happening though, but would be funny.

What is not happening Liverpool losing, us beating United or both?
Original post by al_94
What is not happening Liverpool losing, us beating United or both?

Forseeably both
Original post by fallen_acorns
best for the leage, but if we are serrious about the cup, and actually get through united.. then a final four of arsenal, reading/bradford, villa, blackburn.. would just be :drool:

Bassically either option apart from a late liverpool winner is good by me

Part of me would rather the big teams like Liverpool were in it, that way we don't have any of the bs about us not beating big teams on route to the cup
Omg dying

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1425840548.407688.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edit: I'm convinced this was about Claude and his wife.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3718
Original post by leinad2012
Part of me would rather the big teams like Liverpool were in it, that way we don't have any of the bs about us not beating big teams on route to the cup

It's not our fault Chelsea were penetrated up their backsides against Bradford, and City by Middlesborough.

Haters always gonna hate haha
As a neutral this should be a great game but I've had a bet on both to score and over 2.5, then you guys to win.

Man Utd are riding their luck, they play really averagely but just seem to wing it when they don't deserve it, it has to end some time and despite the historical h2h stuff I can imagine it ending on Monday *fingers crossed*

Latest