The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
Yeah but usually unis make offers on AP scores, like they do with A-level grades and IB scores. It just seems kind of weird to base an offer on an average in the class rather than an external exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My conditional offer stated that I needed a 5 on my AP Calc exam
Original post by meow1489
My conditional offer stated that I needed a 5 on my AP Calc exam

Ah, OK that makes more sense.
Thought I would join in on this economics thread to meet some people who I'll hopefully be studying with in September! I've applied for economics this year at Bath, Warwick, Southampton, Exeter and Surrey. I'm thinking about firming Bath and putting Southampton as my insurance :smile:
hi guys thanks for your comments to my previous post! i received my offer from UCL around 4 days ago!! still waiting for LSE... anyone here doing the IB?
Hey guys, this is irrelevant but could anyone explain to me why unequal distribution of income leads to market failure?
Thanks!
Original post by raahimaziz
Hey guys, this is irrelevant but could anyone explain to me why unequal distribution of income leads to market failure?
Thanks!

One way it does is through immobility of labour; the best talent may be from a poorer background and may not have the opportunities to be able to get into a job where they would be most effective and efficient.
Another more obvious way is that it leads to neg externalities, such as segregation and crime, which are market failures.
Original post by H0PEL3SS
One way it does is through immobility of labour; the best talent may be from a poorer background and may not have the opportunities to be able to get into a job where they would be most effective and efficient.
Another more obvious way is that it leads to neg externalities, such as segregation and crime, which are market failures.

Thank you!
Have you applied for Econ at Warwick? :smile:
Thank you!
Have you applied for Econ at Warwick? :smile:

Yes, I have.
Original post by H0PEL3SS
Yes, I have.

Have you heard back from them? Many people have been saying to me it's almost impossible to gain a place there.

I'm looking to apply next year :smile:
Thanks!

Other than what the guy said already, i guess a point can be made is that at high incomes the ablity to spend is reduced leading to a greater proportion of wealth in savings which is market failure aswell! :smile: Where have u applied?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3290
Edinburgh are taking so long!
Have you heard back from them? Many people have been saying to me it's almost impossible to gain a place there.

I'm looking to apply next year :smile:

No, but I did email them, and they said they hope to get the majority of offers out by the end of the month.
Original post by Jellyfish96
Other than what the guy said already, i guess a point can be made is that at high incomes the ablity to spend is reduced leading to a greater proportion of wealth in savings which is market failure aswell! :smile: Where have u applied?

I'm in Year 12 at the moment but I intend to apply for Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial, Manchester and Nottigham :smile:

What about you?
I'm in Year 12 at the moment but I intend to apply for Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial, Manchester and Nottigham :smile:

What about you?

Imperial don't do economics..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Someone from my school went to an open day and apparently a tutor said you need 8A* minimum at GCSE to get an offer for Economics at Warwick.

1 person got rejected from my school with 4a* predictions, 2 people with 3a* predictions (me), and 1 person with a*a*aa predictions.

None had 8a* at GCSE.
Original post by Princepieman
Imperial don't do economics..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, if I choose to go for economics then I'll probably apply to Bath instead of Imperial.
Considering Mathematics as well since it's a more versatile degree :smile:
C'mon UCL you take such a long time!!!!
Original post by KIDO123
Someone from my school went to an open day and apparently a tutor said you need 8A* minimum at GCSE to get an offer for Economics at Warwick.

1 person got rejected from my school with 4a* predictions, 2 people with 3a* predictions (me), and 1 person with a*a*aa predictions.

None had 8a* at GCSE.

Ngl I would agree that gcses seem to have had a big weighting looking at people with offers so you could well be right, although at the open day I went to they never mentioned that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gladiatorsword
Hey. Did anyone get a place fir economics and management at oxford?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. Why?
Reply 3299
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Ngl I would agree that gcses seem to have had a big weighting looking at people with offers so you could well be right, although at the open day I went to they never mentioned that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by KIDO123

None had 8a* at GCSE.

aaw I've got 7a*s, still waitin on them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending