The Student Room Group

Should I take art GCSE?

Okay, so on a Friday at my school we have a day of enrichment. And that's a list of subjects we can take. (Laid back ones, or GCSE ones.) And I've scanned through the list and there's pretty much nothing I'm interested in, and nothing I can see myself doing. I'm really bad at the general academic subjects, and I've narrowed it down to psychology or art. Now, let me just point out that I have literally no motivation to do anything. And mustering it is out of the question. I'm in year ten. (I'm new at this school.) And still have no clue what to do. We take five or six GCSES, and yes, I'm wondering if I should do art or not. I've saw on here that people say art has a heck load of coursework, and that makes me want to curl up, to be honest. Eh, any ideas if I should take it guys?

Scroll to see replies

A lot of my friends do Art GCSE's...so they talk to me about it. From what ive heard it is very time consuming and the deadlines to hand stuff in are very tight meaning you have to spend a large amount of time on the art. However there are a lot of tricks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by deadxmanxwalking
Okay, so on a Friday at my school we have a day of enrichment. And that's a list of subjects we can take. (Laid back ones, or GCSE ones.) And I've scanned through the list and there's pretty much nothing I'm interested in, and nothing I can see myself doing. I'm really bad at the general academic subjects, and I've narrowed it down to psychology or art. Now, let me just point out that I have literally no motivation to do anything. And mustering it is out of the question. I'm in year ten. (I'm new at this school.) And still have no clue what to do. We take five or six GCSES, and yes, I'm wondering if I should do art or not. I've saw on here that people say art has a heck load of coursework, and that makes me want to curl up, to be honest. Eh, any ideas if I should take it guys?

I don't take art but from what I've seen with the people who take it in my year: YOU NEED TO HAVE MOTIVATION. It helps if you're good at it but at the end of the day, they can't force you into doing the work - you've got to be responsible for it yourself. So...

Art is practically coursework (60%?) and even the exam is practical (as you would expect). It's a lot of work - those unorganised people, indeed everyone actually, stayed up late before the coursework hand-in deadline to finish it / make it as good as possible.

To be honest, if you've got no motivation to do anything, the choice of gcse isn't the important factor you should be thinking about but your attitude. Because you're not going to do well if you have no motivation to do anything at all. (I'm guilty of procrastinating now and again too but I'm able to motivate myself if I need to do something)
Reply 3
Don't take it. Even people in my school who had loads of motivation dreaded art lessons and homeworks and having to stay behind at lunch and after school to get coursework finished. I really wouldn't bother with it. Most people at my school ended up with Bs and Cs, even though some of them were pretty good at art, just because the workload was so high and you have to produce a lot of different styles of work to get a high grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
art is the worst one to take if you have no motivation to do anything. it requires the most work.

You should take the subjects that have no coursework and only exams so you can revise for a week before hand and wing it. Thats how I did my Alevels and GCSEs.
Reply 5
Are you into art? if not then I don't recommend taking it, especially if you have no motivation. You'll end up having a bunch of coursework to catch up on towards the end of the course, you'll have to spend lunchtimes and after school maybe, to catch up, it's a lot of work, this all depends if you actually do that work and don't slack off though
Original post by bubblegumcat
Are you into art? if not then I don't recommend taking it, especially if you have no motivation. You'll end up having a bunch of coursework to catch up on towards the end of the course, you'll have to spend lunchtimes and after school maybe, to catch up, it's a lot of work, this all depends if you actually do that work and don't slack off though

Yeah, I'm definitely into art. Then again, I'm taking entry level technology or design and technology, whatever it is. But they'll be my only two options. Besides, I'm only in part time, so I have a lot of time to do the work. I don't think the type of school I go to likes putting pressure on special needs kids, not that it's an excuse, just that we tend to fall apart under the pressure. Thanks, anyway. *High five*
Original post by ChickenMadness
art is the worst one to take if you have no motivation to do anything. it requires the most work.

You should take the subjects that have no coursework and only exams so you can revise for a week before hand and wing it. Thats how I did my Alevels and GCSEs.

What do you think about BTEC hair and beauty? xD Nah, kidding. Thanks though.
Original post by SophR96
Don't take it. Even people in my school who had loads of motivation dreaded art lessons and homeworks and having to stay behind at lunch and after school to get coursework finished. I really wouldn't bother with it. Most people at my school ended up with Bs and Cs, even though some of them were pretty good at art, just because the workload was so high and you have to produce a lot of different styles of work to get a high grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile

B/C? That's amazing! For me, anyway. Eh, my expectations aren't high. xD Thanks though.
Unless you absolutely adore art and are willing to spend huge amounts of time on it, don't take it. I do psychology A2 now and absolutely love it, my brother did it as a GCSE and had a similar positive experience, it won't be that much hard work as a GCSE subject either. I did art, and got a B in it, but As and A*s in everything else so just... I hated it :smile:
Original post by turn-to-page394
I don't take art but from what I've seen with the people who take it in my year: YOU NEED TO HAVE MOTIVATION. It helps if you're good at it but at the end of the day, they can't force you into doing the work - you've got to be responsible for it yourself. So...

Art is practically coursework (60%?) and even the exam is practical (as you would expect). It's a lot of work - those unorganised people, indeed everyone actually, stayed up late before the coursework hand-in deadline to finish it / make it as good as possible.

To be honest, if you've got no motivation to do anything, the choice of gcse isn't the important factor you should be thinking about but your attitude. Because you're not going to do well if you have no motivation to do anything at all. (I'm guilty of procrastinating now and again too but I'm able to motivate myself if I need to do something)

I'll probably ask the teacher what's involved. And if we get much homework, ahah. And yeah, I do want to work on my attitude. It's not that I'm lazy (I am, but that's not the reason) it's just that I don't have any interests, well, big ones. So when it comes to options I'm sort of like a small fish in a big pond. Overwhelmed. Anyway, if my school don't think you're ready to do a GCSE in year eleven, you can just do it the next year, or the year after. so there's no rush. Thanks though. :smile:
as somebody in year 11 eho takes it, no.
Original post by chellifish
Unless you absolutely adore art and are willing to spend huge amounts of time on it, don't take it. I do psychology A2 now and absolutely love it, my brother did it as a GCSE and had a similar positive experience, it won't be that much hard work as a GCSE subject either. I did art, and got a B in it, but As and A*s in everything else so just... I hated it :smile:

B is awesome though, man! But I can see how it must be annoying if that's your only B. Hmm, I could try a psychology lesson out this Friday. I have four weeks to choose! Thank you. :smile:

Thank you for the reply x.
Original post by Zeetingman
A lot of my friends do Art GCSE's...so they talk to me about it. From what ive heard it is very time consuming and the deadlines to hand stuff in are very tight meaning you have to spend a large amount of time on the art. However there are a lot of tricks.

Thank you for the reply x.
Original post by guitaristemily
as somebody in year 11 eho takes it, no.

That bad, eh? Thank you for the reply, though. :smile:
I'll probably ask the teacher what's involved. And if we get much homework, ahah. And yeah, I do want to work on my attitude. It's not that I'm lazy (I am, but that's not the reason) it's just that I don't have any interests, well, big ones. So when it comes to options I'm sort of like a small fish in a big pond. Overwhelmed. Anyway, if my school don't think you're ready to do a GCSE in year eleven, you can just do it the next year, or the year after. so there's no rush. Thanks though. :smile:

Yeah, it's a good idea to ask your teacher. I'm not the best informed. :smile: And they will probably know more about your capability etc.

Being interested in doing well and achieving good grades that you're proud of? There, that's an interest you can have. :wink:
Considering you have no motivation (Which I find hard to believe as you are inquiring about your subject choices) ask yourself if you're willing to spend time and effort with your work. :smile: I do art GCSE and I honestly think that quantity is worth more than quality in this subject, so you can't really get by with doing the minimal.
Then again, if you feel you are prepared to put in this time and effort then go ahead it's a nice break from all the academic subjects :biggrin:
Yeah, I'm definitely into art. Then again, I'm taking entry level technology or design and technology, whatever it is. But they'll be my only two options. Besides, I'm only in part time, so I have a lot of time to do the work. I don't think the type of school I go to likes putting pressure on special needs kids, not that it's an excuse, just that we tend to fall apart under the pressure. Thanks, anyway. *High five*

lol tbh. i did an art alevel on my gap year and it really butchered my love for art lmfao.

btw you'l end up with loads of coursework if you do DnT and art lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending