The Student Room Group

Anorexia

Tips on how to deal with Anorexia ??
Don't want comments saying just eat ...
Just tips plz and some advice and help x
Definitely find someone to talk to about the anorexia and try to seek professional help. Then I'd say treat yourself to a day out or something you love so you feel better about yourself :smile: I've had bulimia so I'm clueless about anorexia but that's what I'm going to say :smile: xx
Reply 2
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Definitely find someone to talk to about the anorexia and try to seek professional help. Then I'd say treat yourself to a day out or something you love so you feel better about yourself :smile: I've had bulimia so I'm clueless about anorexia but that's what I'm going to say :smile: xx

First off I LOVE your User name
Second i just wanna say thanks .. It's so frustrating and stressful being in yr 11 at school and acting like you are totally fine. I'm forced to eat at school everyday and no matter how hard I try I can't purge

Thanks anyway x
Original post by Anonymous
First off I LOVE your User name
Second i just wanna say thanks .. It's so frustrating and stressful being in yr 11 at school and acting like you are totally fine. I'm forced to eat at school everyday and no matter how hard I try I can't purge

Thanks anyway x

Thank you :smile:

No worries lovely I get the exam stress and everything but just take it easy ok? Feel free to PM me :smile: x
Reply 4
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Thank you :smile:

No worries lovely I get the exam stress and everything but just take it easy ok? Feel free to PM me :smile: x

<3 x

If you think you have a problem with eating please seek help. Talk to a friend, relative, teacher, doctor.. Anyone. I didn't think I had a problem when I was first suffering from anorexia, in fact I had never heard of it. It was only when I collapsed with heart failure that I realised I had a problem! From then I was in hospital for three years. It totally ruined my life and I can now never have children. Please seek help before your problems get any worse. You need energy to do well in your exams. This theory only made me get better in year 10 and in sixth form as before when I was in hospital (years 7-9) I didn't see the point in eating, there is a point, you are worth it and you can beat anorexia xxx
I agree with the others that seeking help is the way to go. Anorexia has the highest mortality rate of any mental illness, it can put a hell of a lot of pressure on your body, particularly your heart. Don't be scared of reaching out for help, you don't need to do this on your own. :hugs:
Original post by Sabertooth
I agree with the others that seeking help is the way to go. Anorexia has the highest mortality rate of any mental illness, it can put a hell of a lot of pressure on your body, particularly your heart. Don't be scared of reaching out for help, you don't need to do this on your own. :hugs:
But surely that's only after it gets out of hand and is pretty obvious to anyone that sees you? I'm only asking 'cause that's what I always assumed - that you're fine as long as your bmi for example is not under 18 etc. :redface:
Original post by Quadrifolium
But surely that's only after it gets out of hand and is pretty obvious to anyone that sees you? I'm only asking 'cause that's what I always assumed - that you're fine as long as your bmi for example is not under 18 etc. :redface:

I don't claim to be an expert on this but not eating for extended periods of time, regardless of your BMI, can be damaging. You get things like muscle wastage. BMI as a measurement has a lot of problems associated with it, it doesn't take health into account, you can be thin but unable to walk a mile, which is clearly not good.
Please, please, please tell someone.
I told my mum. If that's possible, tell a parent. I was agonising over telling my mother for ages because I was not thought to be underweight (now I see it's a stupid reason not to tell her). Eventually I told her and asked for an appointment with a GP who referred me to CAMHS. I know your eating disorder will tell you "It's not that serious" but I promise you, it IS. Your loved ones will have probably been worried sick about you l, but it's so hard to comment on stuff like that. That's why you haven't been forced into getting treatment.

Oh yeah, and if you are already getting treatment, well done. It gets better from the moment you ask for help. Remind yourself you deserve it!
Original post by dinosaurdoodoo
Please, please, please tell someone.
I told my mum. If that's possible, tell a parent. I was agonising over telling my mother for ages because I was not thought to be underweight (now I see it's a stupid reason not to tell her). Eventually I told her and asked for an appointment with a GP who referred me to CAMHS. I know your eating disorder will tell you "It's not that serious" but I promise you, it IS. Your loved ones will have probably been worried sick about you l, but it's so hard to comment on stuff like that. That's why you haven't been forced into getting treatment.

Oh yeah, and if you are already getting treatment, well done. It gets better from the moment you ask for help. Remind yourself you deserve it!

Im too fat to have an ED . simply asked this question cuz i promised someone i would
Im too fat to have an ED . simply asked this question cuz i promised someone i would

Although you have to be underweight to be diagnosed with anorexia (a lot of people argue), you might be diagnosed with OSFED - so you can never be too fat to get help for an eating disorder.
Original post by dinosaurdoodoo
Although you have to be underweight to be diagnosed with anorexia (a lot of people argue), you might be diagnosed with OSFED - so you can never be too fat to get help for an eating disorder.

Umm whats OSFED
Concerning the OP, look for help, especially if it gets worse. That would be your best bet.

Unfortunately there's really no way to deal with it properly. You definitely need to seek professional help about it because it has serious detrimental effects on your health. Especially around the time that you're doing your GCSEs, it's really important that you don't deal with this alone!

Secondly DO NOT BUY LAXATIVES!!!!!! They will cause extensive damage to your bowels that will stay with you for life!!!

If you have any questions, I'll answer them.
Original post by Quadrifolium

You should always, always seek professional help if you have any doubts about your health. Especially when it comes to eating disorders!

Waiting until it gets out of hand is like telling someone with cancer not to get treatment until it kills them.

This is exactly the reason why eating disorders go so unnoticed. OP please seek medical help regardless of what people say!
Umm whats OSFED

OSFED is what was previously known as EDNOS (Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified) - it stands for Other Specified Feeding or Eating Disorder and encompasses all eating disorders that don't 'fit' the anorexia nervosa or bulimia nervosa criteria.

It's worth bearing in mind also that a part of anorexia often involves feeling like you are too fat to have an eating disorder even if in reality you are underweight. Do you think that might be the case?

Please do try to talk to someone about your eating, it's very difficult to cope with anorexia alone.

Quick Reply

Latest