The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SiminaM
Southern middle class? I'm not even british...
Also,no one said those aren't good unis. Which 3 would you choose as the weakest of the Russel Group anyway?

Are you Arab/asian?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by coconuthead--
But I don't think btec is hard enough as A levels. I can literally anyone with their eyes shut get a D*D*D* then claim it to be equivalent to three A*s?
Like look at him he got into law at Exeter with btec.

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/harry-bacon/85/b1a/82b
How would you feel in a lecture sitting next to someone vwho did a btec whilst you worked your ass of at 4 A level s? Surely not that prestige. Like Warwick/lse etc don't allow btecs . It says something. No offense if you take btecs.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Youre generalizing a bit there, I bet there are loads of former BTEC students who are more intelligent than you (or just people who did 4 A levels as you said), so would you look down on someone in your lectures who is getting better grades than you at uni purely because they did a BTEC?

I'm doing better than a lot of people on my course who took A levels and I took BTEC, I don't see why it makes a difference? They cover the same content the only
Original post by yt7777
Youre generalizing a bit there, I bet there are loads of former BTEC students who are more intelligent than you (or just people who did 4 A levels as you said), so would you look down on someone in your lectures who is getting better grades than you at uni purely because they did a BTEC?

I'm doing better than a lot of people on my course who took A levels and I took BTEC, I don't see why it makes a difference? They cover the same content the only

You again. What's your issue? My opinions

Posted from TSR Mobile
This thread is completely pointless. It's so typical of TSR, its not all a competition you know? I know several people who go to some of the universities that have been listed in this thread and they're really happy with their choice.

All the universities that are included in the Russell Group are there for a reason. Some will be perceived better than others, but everyone just chill out. I'd be happy to go to any of these universities (as would most people).
Original post by TheStudent18
This thread is completely pointless. It's so typical of TSR, its not all a competition you know? I know several people who go to some of the universities that have been listed in this thread and they're really happy with their choice.

All the universities that are included in the Russell Group are there for a reason. Some will be perceived better than others, but everyone just chill out. I'd be happy to go to any of these universities (as would most people).

Best response:tsr::biggrin::yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by M1011
Your inference here seems to be that the worst RG universities are better than the best non-RG universities? Are you joking?

Do you even know what the Russell Group is...?

That wasn't what I was inferring. The inference was that even the worst Russel group university's are still among the best university's and I wouldn't mind going to any of them. On the whole the Russel group university's are better than non-Russel group university's. I can think of a couple of exceptions; st Andrews, Bath. Other than that I would say that the worst Russel group uni's are better than the best non Russel group uni's.

Why yes, I do know what the Russel group is. I assume your going to jump on me and say that they are simply research universitys. That is not true, It's about the whole package of the university, this quote from the website sums it up nicely: "The Russell Group represents 24 leading UK universities which are committed to maintaining the very best research, an outstanding teaching and learning experience and unrivalled links with business and the public sector."

I assume you're not at a Russell group Uni?
I don't know why I read threads like this, I come away and think what a bunch of immature tossers SOME of you are, so far up their own arses they can't see the light of day. For those that think going to a certain RG is such a big thing, makes you a better person, enables you to look down on anyone else and feel so superior what is your ultimate goal? How many of you wonderful top RG students will achieve that goal?

My dad has not a single o-level or CSE (pre GCSE days) never went to college and paid for himself to get a HGV licence. Due to his sharp mind, lack of fear and self confidence he earns a cool 110k a year as a general manager of a national Haulage company. To some of you pompous pricks that may not be a big deal but for me that uneducated council house kid did good. whether he went to Sheffield or Cambridge wouldn't have made the slightest bit of difference, just as it won't for you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 147
Original post by Edminzodo
I'm applying to Liverpool next year and feel sad now . . .

In my subject, Liverpool is the best in the UK. :wink:

Original post by SiminaM
Well for 90% of the international applicants, there are 3 types of unis: 1. Oxbridge, 2.Imperial, LSE, UCL and maybe KCL and 3. Manchester, Birmingham - most popular and the rest, Durham and Warwick are only a big deal for brits,I never even heard of them before seeing them on TSR.

It depends on your field. As a history student I never heard of Imperial, but I did hear of Durham; and a math student would perhaps say that he heard of Warwick, etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
Half of these people criticizing Russell group universities can't even spell russell :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Josb
In my subject, Liverpool is the best in the UK. :wink:

It depends on your field. As a history student I never heard of Imperial, but I did hear of Durham; and a math student would perhaps say that he heard of Warwick, etc.

Liverpool's the BEST!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 150
Original post by coconuthead--
Liverpool's the BEST!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on the subject. :biggrin:
Reply 151
Original post by FeelingDepressed
I don't know why I read threads like this, I come away and think what a bunch of immature tossers SOME of you are, so far up their own arses they can't see the light of day. For those that think going to a certain RG is such a big thing, makes you a better person, enables you to look down on anyone else and feel so superior what is your ultimate goal? How many of you wonderful top RG students will achieve that goal?

My dad has not a single o-level or CSE (pre GCSE days) never went to college and paid for himself to get a HGV licence. Due to his sharp mind, lack of fear and self confidence he earns a cool 110k a year as a general manager of a national Haulage company. To some of you pompous pricks that may not be a big deal but for me that uneducated council house kid did good. whether he went to Sheffield or Cambridge wouldn't have made the slightest bit of difference, just as it won't for you.

Networking is better at Cambridge, I think.
Original post by FeelingDepressed

That's along the lines of what I said.

These threads just make people doubt their university choices. No one should have their choices challenged by some people who only think they know what they're on about because they've seen a few university ranking tables.

Anyone reading this who is feeling a little bit disheartened by this thread, don't be! I know for certain this thread has not made me regret my choices.

Love to all. :cool:
I don't even know all the uni's that are in the RG but here goes:

1. Liverpool - People forget its in the RG all the time
2. Belfast - Again, it's in a faraway land across the sea and is easy to forget about
3. Newcastle - I go to Northumbria and some of your students harp on like Newcastle is the best uni ever, it's not

Disclaimer: do not put any stock in my opinion, prospective students should really make up their own minds about each uni. A lot of it is about feel so go and visit, see what you think.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Wattsy
I don't even know all the uni's that are in the RG but here goes:

1. Liverpool - People forget its in the RG all the time
2. Belfast - Again, it's in a faraway land across the sea and is easy to forget about
3. Newcastle - I go to Northumbria and some of your students harp on like Newcastle is the best uni ever, it's not

Meaning you are bitter that you're not at Newcastle. Oh I get it, I do.
Original post by Edminzodo
Yes, you're right! I might see you there!

That'd be great :h: one good thing is that the lecturers are all amazing :yep:
Post has been edited, would people agree with what I've added?
Original post by callum_law
Meaning you are bitter that you're not at Newcastle. Oh I get it, I do.

Not really, I do law; the course at Newcastle and the course at Northumbria are so different. Northumbria suits me better. I also didn't apply because I didn't have or deserve the grades for Newcastle. No bitterness at all. If I had a reset button would I have tried harder in my A-Levels; of course I would have because I could have applied to more prestigious universities and I could surpass the 320 UCAS point barrier for TC applications. If you gave me my pretty average set of results again I wouldn't change my choice at all. I'm literally in the best spot I could have hoped for given my results, now I just have to make my situation work for me.
I feel so depressed and worthless having chosen Oxford Brookes over Sheffield and Newcastle for architecture now :frown:
Original post by BenLynch9
Post has been edited, would people agree with what I've added?

Thanks for mentioning my bit about how people should not be disheartened. :cool:

Some students may look into things too deeply and end up regretting their choices which is not cool. :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending