The Student Room Group

Disney Cultural Exchange Program Experiences

I'm currently looking for summer jobs and was looking at the possibility of joining Disney's 'cultural exchange program' but I was just wondering if anybody had any experiences with it? I'd quite like to know how people found it before applying. Any help would be appreciated. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kup-Kake
I'm currently looking for summer jobs and was looking at the possibility of joining Disney's 'cultural exchange program' but I was just wondering if anybody had any experiences with it? I'd quite like to know how people found it before applying. Any help would be appreciated. :smile:

I've not personally done it but I know people who have and they said it's HARD WORK, long hours on your feet and helping some not so friendly people but it is worth it because it's Disney and it can be one of the best things you ever do if you love Disney.
Reply 2

Be aware that applications for the summer open up the summer before. You'll need to wait until August/September before applications for summer 2016 opens up.

You apply through yummy jobs, so just keep an eye on their site.
(Applications are currently open for the cultural representative programme, which is the non uni related year long one)
Is experience related to the selected are of work needed/ work with kids? I'm comparing my chances of this vs Americamp for applying next year. Hadn't even heard about it till this morning but it sounds like an amazing experience :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by BanishedKree
Is experience related to the selected are of work needed/ work with kids? I'm comparing my chances of this vs Americamp for applying next year. Hadn't even heard about it till this morning but it sounds like an amazing experience :smile:

It's very competitive, so I'd say just apply for both! Obviously experience will help, but there are plenty of stories of people getting through without it.
Original post by Aula
It's very competitive, so I'd say just apply for both! Obviously experience will help, but there are plenty of stories of people getting through without it.

Thanks for the reply!
I'll have had some form of work experience by the time of applying (and more than enough love for Disney haha) but for Americamp, I doubt i'd have any teaching experience and i'd only have music to offer as a skill :/ I'll probably take your advice and apply for both though when the time comes.
Original post by BanishedKree
Thanks for the reply!
I'll have had some form of work experience by the time of applying (and more than enough love for Disney haha) but for Americamp, I doubt i'd have any teaching experience and i'd only have music to offer as a skill :/ I'll probably take your advice and apply for both though when the time comes.

Can we help at all? Music is a wonderful skill and we will help you get the most out of your application. Disney would be fun too, but obviously we'd love you to do AmeriCamp!:colondollar:

Much love and #FreeBiscuits

AmeriCamp x

Kup-Kake let us know if we can help at all.

There is also Camp Canada.

AmeriCamp x

Original post by Aula
Be aware that applications for the summer open up the summer before. You'll need to wait until August/September before applications for summer 2016 opens up.

You apply through yummy jobs, so just keep an eye on their site.
(Applications are currently open for the cultural representative programme, which is the non uni related year long one)

Original post by AmeriCamp
Kup-Kake let us know if we can help at all.

There is also Camp Canada.

AmeriCamp x

For the disney cultural exchange when do you apply as I'm going to start university this year and really want to go either here or camp Canada. For the disney one do I have to apply this summer for next summer and do you know how the selection process is, also same for camp canada when do you apply for summer 2016 and hows the selection process :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Audiology-Med
For the disney cultural exchange when do you apply as I'm going to start university this year and really want to go either here or camp Canada. For the disney one do I have to apply this summer for next summer and do you know how the selection process is, also same for camp canada when do you apply for summer 2016 and hows the selection process :smile:

For Disney you apply this summer for next summer. I have a feeling they changed it so you can't go out there during the summer of your first year recently though, so you may not be able to go out there summer 2016. It's worth checking though.

For this summer i'm not sure if you' be able to apply for Disney and you have to be connected to a uni. When i tried to apply last summer (I'm in my first year now) it asked for my uni email address so I couldn't....
Can the disney program be done in the summer in-between university years?
Original post by Jackieox
For this summer i'm not sure if you' be able to apply for Disney and you have to be connected to a uni. When i tried to apply last summer (I'm in my first year now) it asked for my uni email address so I couldn't....

I'll try to apply when i start university, if i can't then i'll apply for second year and do campcanada for first year
Original post by frances98

Yeah its for uni students so I'm assuming they taken that into account
Reply 14

There are two separate programmes - one is the summer between university years, one is a year long programme.
Original post by Aula
There are two separate programmes - one is the summer between university years, one is a year long programme.

Does it matter what degree you're doing in the UK? I'll hopefully being doing optometry! Also how does the year long programme work? Is it a gap year between a levels and university or a gap year in between university years?
Reply 16
Does it matter what degree you're doing in the UK? I'll hopefully being doing optometry! Also how does the year long programme work? Is it a gap year between a levels and university or a gap year in between university years?

I made a slight mistake - there are actually three programmes.

There's the cultural representative programme - where you spend a year representing the UK by working in the UK pavilion in Epcot. Here you'll either be working in food and beverage, or merchandising (or a third option where you're technically employed by a separate company and work in the historic research centre). Applications open in spring and autumn each year, and if successful you could go out at any time during the year. No need to be a student or anything, except for HRC where you must hold a degree and be interested in history. You just have to be at least 18 and hold a passport for the country you're going to represent. Best to do it post or pre uni - although if pre uni, be aware that it's highly competitive, and most people take at least a year between applying and going out there.

Cultural exchange programme - summer programme between uni (or during the summer immediately after uni iirc) - you could be doing pretty much anything in any of the parks (except face characters as there's too much training needed for this). No specific degree needed, you just have to be a student to be eligible for the visa.

There's also a third one where you can spend your placement year of a hospitality or tourism type degree working out there, where your job would be related to the degree. I know much less about this one though :dontknow:

are you starting university this year, I'm glad you can do it with any degree because I'm going to do a audiology degree
are you starting university this year, I'm glad you can do it with any degree because I'm going to do a audiology degree

It'll be September 2016

Posted from TSR Mobile

For Camp Canada you need to apply before March 15th - here's the link www.CampCanada.org

It's an amazing program, lots of fun. Let us know if we can help at all.

AmeriCamp Team x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending