The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Josb
Your name sounds Oriental.

It's not.
Original post by Wattsy
B(B)CCe A Levels; have you ever met a Newcastle student? Some of them are great of course but it's earned its rah rep for a reason; there is a strong presence of pretension and an anomalous amount of superiority complexes. If you can jokingly knock them down a peg or two then that opportunity must be taken. It's just banter, I'm sure they won't be affected and will continue singing 'Your Dad works for my Dad' in due course. The rivalry is pretty friendly at our end although that might be down to the fact that we keep beating them at stuff, non-academic things of course.

Polys have a worse saying for us: "I'd rather be a poly than a ..."

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SiminaM
No, people keep asking me that :frown:

What are you then??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Josb
Your name sounds Oriental.

No it doesn't. More Asian. I know a Pakistani girl called samina

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rayquaza17
Polys have a worse saying for us: "I'd rather be a poly than a ..."

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's EX-poly :biggrin:

But yeah, that chant is quite unpleasant. I can't say I've never been involved in it but casually throwing around c-units is not something I really consider socially acceptable.
Original post by Wattsy
B(B)CCe A Levels; have you ever met a Newcastle student? Some of them are great of course but it's earned its rah rep for a reason; there is a strong presence of pretension and an anomalous amount of superiority complexes. If you can jokingly knock them down a peg or two then that opportunity must be taken. It's just banter, I'm sure they won't be affected and will continue singing 'Your Dad works for my Dad' in due course. The rivalry is pretty friendly at our end although that might be down to the fact that we keep beating them at stuff, non-academic things of course.

My hometown is an hour away from Newcastle, so all my mates and most of the people who went to my school either went to Northumbria or Newcastle. You'll find rah and pretentious idiots at almost every top-end uni in large numbers.

Haha, I think they'd prefer to be winning on the academic front rather than in sports, though. Unless you lot beat them in moots.
Original post by M1011
Cry me a river...

You've ignored the majority of my post and focused on the trivial. Difficult to get high and mighty about me pointing out your misspelling of the name a half dozen times given how you ended your previous post.

Your opinions expressed make me feel you don't really know much about this, be honest - do you? I'm not blaming you here, look at it objectively, how could you really at this stage? Anyway a quote copied off a website isn't going to change that view.

The whole post seemed trivial of i'm honest. Questioning somone about why they don't like quotes is incomparable to the fact that you assumed that I am unintelligent based on spelling errors.

Are you talking about this from a post graduation perspective per chance? Am I to assume that the reason you feel the Russell group is unimportant is because you went to a non RG university and have found your way into a good job?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 187
Original post by Zachary T-H
The whole post seemed trivial of i'm honest. Questioning somone about why they don't like quotes is incomparable to the fact that you assumed that ibam unintelligent based on spelling errors.

Are you talking about this from a post graduation perspective per chance? Am I to assume that the reason you feel the Russell group is unimportant is because you went to a non RG university and have found your way into a good job?

Can you quote where I questioned your intelligence? You've put words in my mouth Zach, I didn't say that. I questioned the depth of your knowledge on the topic given you made the rather common mistake of misspelling it - that isn't a comment on intelligence.

I'm talking from the perspective of both having graduated myself, and being at an age where my peer group have also gone through the process. Having gone through the recruitment process at many typical big grad scheme names, and then moved on since and actually run graduate assessment centers, I can safely say I've never heard anyone discuss RG status, or even mention university prestige in general as part of the assessment process. The simple fact is, most graduate employers look at your UCAS tariff and your degree classification (and potentially the subject for roles where it matters). Once you pass those automatic filters, nobody really cares about your degree because frankly everyone has them! This is even more so the case after your first job, as the more experience you get the less your academics count. Now I can understand that may not be the case for those looking to go in to academia or move on to a PHD or something of that elk, but for the majority of graduates the whole 'RG status' is a myth that doesn't translate to anything tenable once you get your piece of paper.

I think it's important for people to point this kind of thing out with the benefit of hindsight, so that the younger generation can make choices based on reality rather than a sales pitch. Ultimately it doesn't change the fact that most of the RG are very good universities, but they are good universities in their own right not simply because you can call them Russell Group.
What do people think of Warwick?
Original post by a96clark
Cambridge
oxford
durham

heard they're all pretty crap

I m really sorry u got rejected by those uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NCHOWD
This is a load of rubbish! Were are you getting your figures? Or are you basing theese statements of your own perception and opinion? Indians and Chinese do the best in terms of GCSE'S yes, but to say bengais underperform is ridiculous. Figures from 2014 clearly showthat children from Bangladeshi backgrounds on average attained better gcse grades than white British students (Report Issued by the Department of Education).
I also feel you unfairly stereotyped your view on South Asians with the ones you'd find in the poorer areas of London. Im born and raised in Surrey with the rest of my family and I attained 3A* and 8A in GCSEs and am moving out for university in September (Uni of Nottingham) this is true for my brother and my cousins, who all moved out for uni. So to say you are gravley mistaken is an understatement.
So next time you make a ignorant comment make sure you understand you could be labeling a whole subcontinent on the basis of you closed minded opinion. And p.s I'm Muslim too, so you are completely wrong there too.

Good day.

I don't know whether to agree with you or not because I've lived my whole life around Bangladeshis, went to school/sixth form that were majority Bangladeshi and I never witnessed on average impressive educational performance from them. Only from a small proportion. They may not be underperforming but I wouldn't say they are performing too well. What are your thoughts on this;
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/11409181/British-Muslims-integration-and-segregation-are-about-economics-not-values.html
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 191
Original post by M1011
Now I can understand that may not be the case for those looking to go in to academia or move on to a PHD or something of that elk, but for the majority of graduates the whole 'RG status' is a myth that doesn't translate to anything tenable once you get your piece of paper.

elk?
Reply 192
Original post by mcliz
elk?

Lol, typo. Ilk!
Original post by Okorange
When was QMUL ranked top 3 for medicine ever? Barts is a great medical school no doubt but certainly not top 3 in any ranking world or domestic or REF.

Slight exaggeration it's true. Barts was 4th in GPA (grade point average) in RAE 2008 and 6th equal in 2014. QMUL as a whole as 9th in GPA amongst multifaculty universities in the last REF. Of course its not as big as UCL etc so falls on research power (FTE x GPA).

If you like that sort of thing Barts comes high in most league tables and as you say it's a great place. I think the point the previous post was making is that QM does get a lot of unnecessary flak and at least parts of it are very good.

Interestingly, if you look at the Leiden rankings (which rank on citations - the number of times research papers are cited), QMUL comes 10th in the world in clinical medicine and 3rd in Europe below Oxford and Cambridge, which is quite remarkable really,

http://www.leidenranking.com/ranking/2014

So, third in some rankings :smile:
Original post by kieran101090
I m really sorry u got rejected by those uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha I didn't apply to any of them
Original post by a96clark
Haha I didn't apply to any of them

"Lookin over ur grades", r u quite sure that u didnt apply em?
Original post by 1drowssap
Nobody on here overhypes QMUL, it's the reverse actually. TSR actually makes it seem so bad that many people are afraid of going to the uni. You're right in a sense that UCL/Imperial is usually preferred over QMUL, but that's nothing new. If you want to live in London, and you can't get in to those unis, QMUL is a very decent alternative. No other school can give you the opportunity of studying in an RG uni in London, for slightly above average grades.

When I was referring to overhype, I was actually talking about people in my school rather than TSR, if you didn't notice :/ I just don't see anything which is so stand out about the place, which is why it all confuses me. Depending on the course you're applying to, Kings isn't always that great too...
Original post by kieran101090
"Lookin over ur grades", r u quite sure that u didnt apply em?

Haha is that a compliment? But nah, I don't think I'm clever enough to. I can do public exams pretty well but Oxbridge is another level all together
Original post by earwithfeet
Oxford Brookes has one of the largest architecture departments in the UK, so don't be disheartened. It's a very good university for architecture. :smile:

but won't it affect my employment chances if it isn't RG? I'm not sure how recognised the University is among potential employers in architecture
Original post by HarryW03
but won't it affect my employment chances if it isn't RG? I'm not sure how recognised the University is among potential employers in architecture

I really don't think it's that important. They'll be more interested in the class of your degree than where it's from. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending