The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

KCL - MSc Space Physiology and Health 2013 Offer Holders and Applicants

Hey there! Are there any MSc Space Physiology and Health offer holders and applicants here? :biggrin:
Reply 1
I would have loved to do the course - KCL's extreme physiology course in the 3rd year of my degree was amazing. Unfortunately I don't know what I'd do with the masters as I'm not really interested in research, and £10,500 for enjoyment of the subject seemed a bit steep!
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Hey there, geromejv. Have you now completed the MSc space phys. and health course? If so, how did you find it, and what have you done, since?
Original post by andrewjw
Hey there, geromejv. Have you now completed the MSc space phys. and health course? If so, how did you find it, and what have you done, since?

Hey man, don't suppose you've applied for / have been awarded a place on the course for this September have you?
Original post by andrewjw

Hey Andrew, did you already apply to the Space physiology program in KCL? I would love to apply!
Reply 5
Original post by HenryTank
Hey man, don't suppose you've applied for / have been awarded a place on the course for this September have you?

Hey Henry,

I read you're on the Space Physiology course, may I ask you a bit more about it and how you find it? I don't think I can message you :/ ?
Original post by DKB07
Hey Henry,

I read you're on the Space Physiology course, may I ask you a bit more about it and how you find it? I don't think I can message you :/ ?

Hey, only just seen this sorry! But yeah I'm mid-way through the SPH course now and absolutely loving it - happy to answer any questions either yourself or anyone else has!

Henry
Reply 7
Hey, only just seen this sorry! But yeah I'm mid-way through the SPH course now and absolutely loving it - happy to answer any questions either yourself or anyone else has!

Henry

Hey, I am an undergraduate Biomed student in my final year and I am thinking of applying for this masters programme.

I have a couple of questions if that is okay? I was wondering what you were thinking of doing after this? What is the course like? Are the research projects with a research group or your own area of study?
Reply 8
I was also wondering what they look for in the personal statement?
Original post by A23P
Hey, I am an undergraduate Biomed student in my final year and I am thinking of applying for this masters programme.

I have a couple of questions if that is okay? I was wondering what you were thinking of doing after this? What is the course like? Are the research projects with a research group or your own area of study?

Are you at KCL, if so why are you continuing to do a masters here? Why not go to Oxbridge or Imperial for a masters and invest your tuition fees there, rather than go to the same Uni for both step it up a level or two?
Reply 10
Original post by JustPadz
Are you at KCL, if so why are you continuing to do a masters here? Why not go to Oxbridge or Imperial for a masters and invest your tuition fees there, rather than go to the same Uni for both step it up a level or two?

I'm not a KCL student, I am doing my UG elsewhere :-) I was rejected from KCL for biomed as I was missing a particular module that they needed.

I am interested in this space physiology course and KCL is the only place that offers it (as far as I am aware). Also looking at some other places for Biomedical Engineering - I know Imperial require A-level maths (I only have AS) or maths components during UG which I don't think I have but I might email them to check.
Hey! Sorry I didn't get back sooner!

So there are quite a few biomed students on the course all of whom seem to be getting on really well with it!

A lot of us are all likely heading in totally opposite directions, some looking at PhDs, some returning to finish final years etc. but personally I'm hoping to head into the aerospace industry. Currently applying for a few roles in either aerospace physiology or aerospace operations, also applied for a role at ESA and a few other applications down a more clinical/medical path as a physiologist.

The course is awesome, it really is. The first term is very theoretical and relatively technical, this term we're now applying that all into aerospace and space life sciences - although the tutors cover a lot of lectures we get taught by a lot of external researchers / professors either prom NASA, ESA, other UK unis or for example our lecture this morning from a Swedish researcher who has a long history with space operations. It is of course challenging but its great fun, a huge practical component too - next week we're heading off to the European Astronaut Centre for 2 weeks for a field trip!

Research placements are pretty varied, if you have a specific idea of a person/lab you'd like to work with then there's potential that it could be arranged depending on whether a relevant project will be running at the right time - other than that we get issued a long list of research titles and choose our preferences, a lot in the UK but also a few in Germany, Austria, Milan, USA and the Netherlands.

Personal statement wise, just show that you're interested in physiology and explain your history with it, what you might like to achieve or what direction you may consider heading in (if you know, if you dont then its not an issue) - the course works well off of diversity and a variation in backgrounds or interests, so just show passion and enthusiasm!

Hope this all helps!

Henry
Reply 12
Hey! Sorry I didn't get back sooner!

So there are quite a few biomed students on the course all of whom seem to be getting on really well with it!

A lot of us are all likely heading in totally opposite directions, some looking at PhDs, some returning to finish final years etc. but personally I'm hoping to head into the aerospace industry. Currently applying for a few roles in either aerospace physiology or aerospace operations, also applied for a role at ESA and a few other applications down a more clinical/medical path as a physiologist.

The course is awesome, it really is. The first term is very theoretical and relatively technical, this term we're now applying that all into aerospace and space life sciences - although the tutors cover a lot of lectures we get taught by a lot of external researchers / professors either prom NASA, ESA, other UK unis or for example our lecture this morning from a Swedish researcher who has a long history with space operations. It is of course challenging but its great fun, a huge practical component too - next week we're heading off to the European Astronaut Centre for 2 weeks for a field trip!

Research placements are pretty varied, if you have a specific idea of a person/lab you'd like to work with then there's potential that it could be arranged depending on whether a relevant project will be running at the right time - other than that we get issued a long list of research titles and choose our preferences, a lot in the UK but also a few in Germany, Austria, Milan, USA and the Netherlands.

Personal statement wise, just show that you're interested in physiology and explain your history with it, what you might like to achieve or what direction you may consider heading in (if you know, if you dont then its not an issue) - the course works well off of diversity and a variation in backgrounds or interests, so just show passion and enthusiasm!

Hope this all helps!

Henry

Thank you so much! The course sounds great and I have one other course in mind but this is the one that I am most interested in. You've been really helpful, thank you again :-)
Reply 13
Original post by A23P
I'm not a KCL student, I am doing my UG elsewhere :-) I was rejected from KCL for biomed as I was missing a particular module that they needed.

I am interested in this space physiology course and KCL is the only place that offers it (as far as I am aware). Also looking at some other places for Biomedical Engineering - I know Imperial require A-level maths (I only have AS) or maths components during UG which I don't think I have but I might email them to check.

Hi I am literally considering the two courses you have mentioned. Choosing either between Bioengineering or doing a masters in space physiology. I was just wondering what you chose and how you got on with your choice? any advice is much appreciated
Reply 14
Original post by Elricbb
Hi I am literally considering the two courses you have mentioned. Choosing either between Bioengineering or doing a masters in space physiology. I was just wondering what you chose and how you got on with your choice? any advice is much appreciated

Hi! It's such a coincidence that two of us come across this thread after its been inactive for 3 years! I'm also considering taking a masters in space physiology, once I finish my UG. I have read so much about the Kings College London Space Physiology and Health Masters, including on the European Space Agency website, and it seems like one of the only degrees like it out there. Only problem is that on the KCL website, they don't appear to have that specific course anymore. What course are you looking at and do you have a link to it anywhere?
I don't think the course is being run anymore
Reply 16
yep I think you're both right. Doesn't seem to be running anymore. I went to the open day a year ago and I finally got to the point of applying for it. never mind.
Reply 17
Original post by Elricbb
yep I think you're both right. Doesn't seem to be running anymore. I went to the open day a year ago and I finally got to the point of applying for it. never mind.

There's another course there which you may be interested in. Called Human and Applied Physiology, seems to have similar aspects with space and extreme environments.

Quick Reply

Latest