The Student Room Group

Badges are live.... beta rollout!

Scroll to see replies

I like it!! I want badges.

I think you should do a badge for answering unanswered threads, when there isn't a competition on to get a pizza at pizza hut for getting 130 a day. I answer unanswered threads all the time (not 130 a day) and I feel that I get no recognition for this!!

Also, I had a question - do you get badges for answering in a helpful fashion threads in the 'career' forums? I also do this quite a lot in my own career forums (law/media) - there are a few others who do this also. It's not 'study help' so does career help count also to get a badge?

I can't believe i care about this stuff. I am such a Pavlovian Mouse. I need a job :smile:
Original post by happyinthehaze
I think you should do a badge for answering unanswered threads

There already is.
Reply 322
Original post by lustawny
What's the point of having them then?

Badges are about identifying and rewarding members for making good contributions to the site. This doesn't mean that someone with a badge is automatically an expert in a particular subject, but it does mean they've been helpful in the past. It's also to encourage people to engage with the site, and perhaps to try out things that they might not otherwise have considered.
Reply 323
Original post by Dez
Er, no. Rep on a post is just an indication on how many people agree with an opinion, or find a joke funny. Rep as an indicator of credibility has never been a thing, and badges are not designed to do that either.

It's like Ask the Audience on Who Wants to be a Millionaire? No, post reps aren't scientific, but they are a good indicator of credibility.

Let's say a person posts "Need help getting home from club at night" and the first post is "Don't pay over the odds for a black cab - use Uber or any of the unlicensed cabs jockeying for business outside the clubs - I've been doing it for years - it's perfectly safe" If 30 people repped that, you'd take it as a fair indicator that it's advice that at least 30 other people think is sound.

Original post by Dez
Badges are about identifying and rewarding members for making good contributions to the site. This doesn't mean that someone with a badge is automatically an expert in a particular subject, but it does mean they've been helpful in the past. It's also to encourage people to engage with the site, and perhaps to try out things that they might not otherwise have considered.

All the indications are that the reception of the badges range from tepid to hostile.

This is another case of the TSR team not being able to leave anything alone, or to take any kind of advice. You seem absolutely hellbent on forcing half-baked ideas through time and time and time again, denying any opposition or criticism and then declaring it a success.

Is it the case that this hasn't been thought up with any kind of real consensus or advice from members? Is it a case that TSR had a focus group round a table and batted some ideas around with a lot of post-it notes and mind maps until you finally came up with the idea of "how about just copying something from an incongruent site?"

I would suggest that you guys are dangerously out of touch with your target demographic.
Reply 324
Original post by Clip
It's like Ask the Audience on Who Wants to be a Millionaire? No, post reps aren't scientific, but they are a good indicator of credibility.

Let's say a person posts "Need help getting home from club at night" and the first post is "Don't pay over the odds for a black cab - use Uber or any of the unlicensed cabs jockeying for business outside the clubs - I've been doing it for years - it's perfectly safe" If 30 people repped that, you'd take it as a fair indicator that it's advice that at least 30 other people think is sound.

Personally I can see that rep can sometimes give credibility, but just as often it can end up doing the opposite. Say someone makes a jokey reply to a H&R thread, which while funny is actually really bad advice. In that case the amount of rep would likely not reflect the post's credibility. Other factors must always be taken into account, you cannot simply say that just because some advice has been repped a lot it is necessarily useful or credible.

Original post by Clip
All the indications are that the reception of the badges range from tepid to hostile.

Really? I've been reading all of the replies here and there's been some highly positive feedback amongst them, with a few negative and quite a few in the it's-okay to I-kinda-like-it region.

Original post by Clip
This is another case of the TSR team not being able to leave anything alone, or to take any kind of advice. You seem absolutely hellbent on forcing half-baked ideas through time and time and time again, denying any opposition or criticism and then declaring it a success.

Is it the case that this hasn't been thought up with any kind of real consensus or advice from members? Is it a case that TSR had a focus group round a table and batted some ideas around with a lot of post-it notes and mind maps until you finally came up with the idea of "how about just copying something from an incongruent site?"

I would suggest that you guys are dangerously out of touch with your target demographic.

Well, we've been not-leaving-anything-alone for about 8 years now, and it seems to be going well so far. :smile: It's not like we can get it right 100% of the time, but in the time I've been here I'd definitely say there's been more positive changes than negative, and the site has grown significantly in that time too.
Is it possible to put a 'ticker' or 'counter' under the badges on your profile saying things like ''you need xxx amount of posts this month to achieve badge level 3'' or something so we know how close or far away we are? :tongue:
The badges are a part of TSR so long, but I still don't recognise the sense or the purpose of them. Why do these badges were settled?
(edited 9 years ago)

Sorry just back from my holiday.

Thanks a lot for this, will do :h:
maybe you can have an "on holiday" badge... perhaps with a bucket and spade, to show people that you are not available for TSR business ?
Original post by the bear
maybe you can have an "on holiday" badge... perhaps with a bucket and spade, to show people that you are not available for TSR business ?

I think when we re-design the profile pages there should be some kind of "I'm not here" status....

Or mega awesome badge like you have suggested :smile:
Reply 330
Original post by She-Ra
I think when we re-design the profile pages there should be some kind of "I'm not here" status....

Or mega awesome badge like you have suggested :smile:

Cool :cool:

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
I read the information you wrote on the badges and there are some grammatical mistakes:
"...heartbreak, politics on what you ate for brekkie!' The term 'on' outlined in red is actually supposed to be 'or'.
Secondly, '... commend our member's who helpfully contribute...' The term 'member's' outlined in red is supposed to be written 'members'.
You could also consider '... on their studies, uni applications and...' I think it's better to write out the full term 'university' instead of 'uni' in this context.
Original post by PurpleMash
I read the information you wrote on the badges and there are some grammatical mistakes:
"...heartbreak, politics on what you ate for brekkie!' The term 'on' outlined in red is actually supposed to be 'or'.
Secondly, '... commend our member's who helpfully contribute...' The term 'member's' outlined in red is supposed to be written 'members'.
You could also consider '... on their studies, uni applications and...' I think it's better to write out the full term 'university' instead of 'uni' in this context.

Thanks for that :wink:
Reply 333
Original post by She-Ra
Thanks for that :wink:

How is the badge improvement going? There was a graduate in heraldic on TSR who was looking for a job last week... :dontknow:
Reply 334
Hello everyone
Hope u guys doing well.
I have an idea for a new badge: White Hat.

This would be earned by people who find and point out bugs and exploits in the website. To earn it you would have to send the exploit to a moderator, and not post it anywhere else where it could be abused and misused by people with malicious intent.

It both encourages people not to attack the website or use any exploits they find, and also rewards people who work to keep the site as best as it can be.
Original post by Mactotaur

This would be earned by people who find and point out bugs and exploits in the website. To earn it you would have to send the exploit to a moderator, and not post it anywhere else where it could be abused and misused by people with malicious intent.

It both encourages people not to attack the website or use any exploits they find, and also rewards people who work to keep the site as best as it can be.

Hacked by @rootinabox

top kek

I suspect that the pool of people for whom this would potentially be relevant - let alone those who might actually earn it - is so small that it wouldn't be a good use of development resources. There are *a lot* of more pressing concerns that ought to be looked at first, IMO.

Of course, no harm in making the suggestion. :smile:
Original post by Illusionary
I suspect that the pool of people for whom this would potentially be relevant - let alone those who might actually earn it - is so small that it wouldn't be a good use of development resources. There are *a lot* of more pressing concerns that ought to be looked at first, IMO.

Of course, no harm in making the suggestion. :smile:

Graphics, about 10 minutes - the shield template with a white hat on it.
Writing up announcement, 5-20 minutes - explaining what it is, and that to get it you must message a moderator, etc.
Implementing it, 10 minutes - I don't know what system TSR uses, but FTP if it's what is being used shouldn't take too long to add to the Badges template page.

Good use of development resources? I'll make the badge graphic myself if you need more resources and time saved.
Graphics, about 10 minutes - the shield template with a white hat on it.
Writing up announcement, 5-20 minutes - explaining what it is, and that to get it you must message a moderator, etc.
Implementing it, 10 minutes - I don't know what system TSR uses, but FTP if it's what is being used shouldn't take too long to add to the Badges template page.

Good use of development resources? I'll make the badge graphic myself if you need more resources and time saved.

While I may be wrong, I suspect that it would take TSR staff a fair amount longer to arrange all of the necessary changes. Consider how long it's been without any new badges having been introduced, though, when we know from earlier posts that they're due to be worked on at some point.

The thing is, I can't see there being more than a small handful of members (i.e., less than ten) who might conceivably earn this, unless we're talking about a "very* low qualification threshold - and many more might be frustrated from having empty spots on their profile.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending