The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bude8
No it isn't, when you see how hard the questions are... And you actually need a deep understanding of concepts, it's not simply a matter of 'plug in the numbers' all the time...

Tbf I agree with you

But having all those vectors equations makes it a lot easier
Original post by binarythoughts
Our formula booklet is a joke compared to this :lol:

Unfair imo

We don't have modules. We also get some absolutely hideous questions. Our papers are out of 120 too...
From what I've seen, A level questions mainly ask 'can you do this skill' whereas the questions I get asked really require a good understanding of maths... You can know methods but still get stuck on questions in IB maths. It's by far the hardest IB subject too imo. Still unfair? :lol:

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Tbf I agree with you

But having all those vectors equations makes it a lot easier

m8 this planes question is great, a and b are easy but c requires a decent bit of thought
Original post by Bude8
No it isn't, when you see how hard the questions are... And you actually need a deep understanding of concepts, it's not simply a matter of 'plug in the numbers' all the time...

Eh, AH Maths has the same difficult questions. It even has elements of further maths from what I've seen.
Original post by Bude8
We don't have modules. We also get some absolutely hideous questions. Our papers are out of 120 too...
From what I've seen, A level questions mainly ask 'can you do this skill' whereas the questions I get asked really require a good understanding of maths... You can know methods but still get stuck on questions in IB maths. It's by far the hardest IB subject too imo. Still unfair? :lol:

m8 this planes question is great, a and b are easy but c requires a decent bit of thought

Not really if you have the formulae :tongue:

Just draw a nice clear diagram

I'll admit though those questions are a lot lot lot worse than A Level lmao where we have something like

'express f(x) in partial fractions, hence find the integral of f(x)'

And it'll just be like two ln functions and an inverse tan function and they think it's super hard
Original post by Princepieman
Eh, AH Maths has the same difficult questions. It even has elements of further maths from what I've seen.

IB Maths has at least 80% of A level FM content, plus we do some things that aren't in FM.
I have 5 maths lessons a week, my A level FM friends have 12. To be fair, there's basically no mechanics in my maths course though. IB FM is next level :beard:
Original post by Bude8

Our questions are a lot simpler than that

Straightforward and much easier

Although I would've liked questions like these better
Original post by Bude8
IB Maths has at least 80% of A level FM content, plus we do some things that aren't in FM.
I have 5 maths lessons a week, my A level FM friends have 12. To be fair, there's basically no mechanics in my maths course though. IB FM is next level :beard:

Meh, we don't have any mechanics modules either. There are other subjects called AH Applied Maths: Mechanics or AH Applied Maths: Stats.

I have 4 lessons a week for maths, 2 for physics and 1 for French. We AH students get no love from teachers whatsoever.

FP1-4 is pretty much covered in AH as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Meh, we don't have any mechanics modules either. There are other subjects called AH Applied Maths: Mechanics or AH Applied Maths: Stats.

I have 4 lessons a week for maths, 2 for physics and 1 for French. We AH students get no love from teachers whatsoever.

FP1-4 is pretty much covered in AH as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a feeling AH Maths is underrated/under-appreciated by unis, IB Maths definitely is at the moment and that's pretty damn annoying
Tomorrow I start attending the gym and eating healthily
**** my life
No more beer or kebabs :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
M2 grade boundaries are making me really sad... 68/75 for an A whyyyyy
Original post by cerlohee
M2 grade boundaries are making me really sad... 68/75 for an A whyyyyy

M2 is bleugh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rachelc142
**** my life

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ugh I need to do this :'( But food is so yas and exercise is so nah haha

I like it as a module before the grade boundaries haha
Like I enjoy the questions but I'm so bad at not making little mistakes!
Original post by cerlohee
Ugh I need to do this :'( But food is so yas and exercise is so nah haha

I like it as a module before the grade boundaries haha
Like I enjoy the questions but I'm so bad at not making little mistakes!

Hahaha omg such a life motto
I'll let you know how it goes, horribly is my prediction
Yeah I know what you mean :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Oooh I remember now

Awesome!you'll love it here

Apparently you can get like 1% extra for it lol

Gah, you could try checking your individual uni trackers if they have it. Or normally they send an email themselves too

Gl

Haha thanks I hope so! :smile:
Got my letter from student finance confirming my application
Turns out my maintenance loan is £600 less than I was expecting, so now after rent I'll have £14 to live off per week :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
**** my life

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will feel much better inside for it :smile: good luck - beer and kebabs are okay in moderation too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Urgh FP3 complex numbers are getting on my tits.
Original post by Tibbz2
Urgh FP3 complex numbers are getting on my tits.

Anything you're specifically stuck on? Complex numbers are pretty nifty IMO.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anything you're specifically stuck on? Complex numbers are pretty nifty IMO.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's just understanding all the different ways of writing them and how they relate :tongue: And the fact I'm dreadful at anything involving trig functions :tongue:
Original post by Tibbz2
It's just understanding all the different ways of writing them and how they relate :tongue: And the fact I'm dreadful at anything involving trig functions :tongue:

cis form is beautiful imo, and it's a lot easier than writing cos+isin :lol:

Latest