The Student Room Group

Visual Basic for Excel

I'm a finance major and was wondering if there was any good sources you computer folk can recommned for me to start learning VBA. I can build code for basic models such as amortization models, but I really want to start from the get go and understand the logic behind the codes I'm building.

If you have a bit more time on your hands, I'd try c# with Visual Studio. It takes a bit longer to set things up, but is worth it for anything non-trivial.
Original post by elоhssа
If you have a bit more time on your hands, I'd try c# with Visual Studio. It takes a bit longer to set things up, but is worth it for anything non-trivial.

Well.. I've started on VBA as it would be useful for building automated financial models in the excel workspace.

Just need some direction within that programming language.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Well.. I've started on VBA as it would be useful for building automated financial models in the excel workspace.

Just need some direction within that programming language.

Can you give me some examples? Perhaps it's simpler then it sounds and VBA is all you need.
Original post by elоhssа
Can you give me some examples? Perhaps it's simpler then it sounds and VBA is all you need.

I'm trying to learn the language of VBA. I've started with simple things such as fixed rate loan amortisation models, where I've built the model in excel and just translated it over to VBA. I want to learn more advanced material in order to build more sophisticated models for things such as hypothesis testing, LBO models, regression analysis. I want to purposefuly learn the language for my field of study.

(edited 9 years ago)
I'm trying to learn the language of VBA. I've started with simple things such as fixed rate loan amortisation models, where I've built the model in excel and just translated it over to VBA. I want to learn more advanced material in order to build more sophisticated models for things such as hypothesis testing, LBO models, regression analysis. I want to purposefuly learn the language for my field of study.

OK, had a look and for something like that VBA is fine. To answer your question (understanding the logic), it's really the maths that you need to learn; the programming is very basic.
Original post by elоhssа

ive downloaded visual studio 2013 the other day and i have no idea how to start programming in c#

would you mind guiding me through it, would appreciate the help!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by elоhssа
OK, had a look and for something like that VBA is fine. To answer your question (understanding the logic), it's really the maths that you need to learn; the programming is very basic.

I know the mathematical computations but its just that I've only began learning to program which is what I need assistance with. I'm a complete newbie so I want maybe a youtube guide to help me learn the interface and how to go about stuff. I just know If functions and very basic loops and defining variables and assigning values to them. That's about all I know with regards to any sort of coding at all. I didn't do computing/ICT so it's all very much new to me. I understand how to use excel but not the VBA.

I put this under UG, because I'm an undergraduate studying Finance/Maths/Econ degree, but VBA would be useful in the workspace and expanding my skillset so I want to learn somewhere.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by scriberg
ive downloaded visual studio 2013 the other day and i have no idea how to start programming in c#

mind guiding me through it, would appreciate the help!

It just takes time; learning c#.NET with VS for someone with no previous experience is a heavy investment. Have you at least learned to compile a new project?
bump
Reply 10
Original post by scriberg

would you mind guiding me through it, would appreciate the help!

You won't learn c# by downloading Visual Studio. You learn C# by studying the language. Learn it from a book or youtube or something. Don't try and take short cuts neither by skipping things you find boring. Learn the whole thang and you'll be good. However, it's heavy investment. Prepare for a lot of hard work. I used to tutor people in C#, but sadly I can't do that now because I'm very busy IRL and I doubt people from here would be willing to pay my hourly rates. ;D
Original post by Async
You won't learn c# by downloading Visual Studio. You learn C# by studying the language. Learn it from a book or youtube or something. Don't try and take short cuts neither by skipping things you find boring. Learn the whole thang and you'll be good. However, it's heavy investment. Prepare for a lot of hard work. I used to tutor people in C#, but sadly I can't do that now because I'm very busy IRL and I doubt people from here would be willing to pay my hourly rates. ;D

i know how to code in c#, ive been using turbo c and eclipse (for java) for a while and i thought i should change the IDE

im just having trouble starting a new project with VS 2013
Reply 12
x

mql mql mql mql mql mql mql mql

Excel is a spreadsheet app. Don't bother trying to screw around with vba to try and do sims etc
(edited 9 years ago)
Ugh Visual Basic was the bane of my existence.

Stay away from it.
Original post by samba
mql mql mql mql mql mql mql mql

Excel is a spreadsheet app. Don't bother trying to screw around with vba to try and do sims etc

Original post by Sycamores
Ugh Visual Basic was the bane of my existence.

Stay away from it.

I have to learn it, it's a matter of nessecity.
Reply 15
I have to learn it, it's a matter of nessecity.

I put this under UG, because I'm an undergraduate studying Finance/Maths/Econ degree, but VBA would be useful in the workspace and expanding my skillset so I want to learn somewhere.

An imperative language is an imperative language. Large institutions obviously use proprietary languages, but a language is a language, and learning one with similar functionality will be more helpful than attempting to fudge a spreadsheet into a finance tool. You'd have to write functions for order management, sims, backtesting, blablabla (ok so no sharpe ratio anyway so its limited but still)

If it's REALLY simple, use excel and vba. If it's anything complex, including simulations/modeling, its far too complex for vba.

Otherwise, good luck trying to debug it, and so long for all the fish.

Once again, excel is a spreadsheet, not a programming environment. ANYTHING else would be better, and more suited to finance in the future.
Original post by samba
An imperative language is an imperative language. Large institutions obviously use proprietary languages, but a language is a language, and learning one with similar functionality will be more helpful than attempting to fudge a spreadsheet into a finance tool. You'd have to write functions for order management, sims, backtesting, blablabla (ok so no sharpe ratio anyway so its limited but still)

If it's REALLY simple, use excel and vba. If it's anything complex, including simulations/modeling, its far too complex for vba.

Otherwise, good luck trying to debug it, and so long for all the fish.

Once again, excel is a spreadsheet, not a programming environment. ANYTHING else would be better, and more suited to finance in the future.

I plan to learn VBA & Python but as I assume with any programming language, I would have to learn the absolute fundamentals. Given I have no prior experience in any type of coding, I'm asking what resources would be useful in self-teaching. Have to build up from somewhere.

I can't dwelve into more complex programming if I struggle to build models such for variable rate loans on VBA. I want to start with VBA, as it would be simpler, as I understand the functionality of excel it's just about understanding the order of statements etc.. to build vocab. I can restart the whole process if needs be but right now this is my focus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending