The Student Room Group

What shall I choose for my GCSE's??? please help

Right, I am in year 9 and am about to choose my GCSE's.
So far I have chosen Sociology and Geography.I am stuck on my third option. Its either French,History, Citizenship and Ict. This is why I don't know if I should pick:
French because I know I won't get a good grade and I also don't enjoy it.
History because its too much for me if I do Geography too. And it seems Really hard!
Citizenship because it is just like Sociology except that it is more practical i.e. holding campaigns and sociology is theory.
Ict because Apparently it is really hard and I don't think I'll be able to do it.

Please help!!!!! Tell me what you find easier and why. Also mention what options you have chosen and why. Also tell me which papers your school do i.e AQA , EDEXEL etc
Your opinions will be very much appreciated : )
Reply 1
well I wouldn't do French since you don't seem like will you will enjoy it. But don't not take something just because it seems hard and can promise you gcses are nothing compared to alevels. I regret not doing histoy as a gcse, but if you want the easy option do citizenship I don know any one who failed it. xx and my school does a mixture but mainly aqa xx
Reply 2
Any other opinions??
History - Interesting
Citizenship & ICT - Easy A* (well for me).
Not sure about French.
I'll pick French. This is because universities are now demanding qualifications at languages, and if you don't study a language at GCSE level, you'll be at a big disadvantage when it comes to apply for unis. For many schools. languages are compulsory (such as my school), because with a language, your choices are quite limited.
However, this doesn't apply if you are already going to do a language at GCSE and you were just considering French as an extra language.
Reply 5
Original post by taylortron99
I'll pick French. This is because universities are now demanding qualifications at languages, and if you don't study a language at GCSE level, you'll be at a big disadvantage when it comes to apply for unis. For many schools. languages are compulsory (such as my school), because with a language, your choices are quite limited.
However, this doesn't apply if you are already going to do a language at GCSE and you were just considering French as an extra language.

No. Just no.

Universities don't give a flying **** whether you have a GCSE language or not. They care about the grades more, and A-level subjects are much more important to them.

Edit - all universities with the exception of UCL. They want GCSE grade C or above. No other universities give one about GCSE languages - even Oxbridge.
I'm in year 9 too and at our school the ICT GCSE is something that is compulsory and everyone does a year early (I'm doing it now :smile:). We're doing the course by CIDA and it basically involves designing a website and creating a video game. I'm finding it wayyy easier than I expected although certain aspects are quite time consuming.
I'm also taking French and History. At our school the teachers all say employers are looking for a language so that might be something to take in to consideration (I don't really trust them though as its mainly the language teachers saying that)
Apparently History involves a lot of essay writing which initially put me off, but I suppose most subjects do.
They don't offer citizenship at our school so I don't really know about that. In the end I suppose you should just do what you enjoy :smile: xx
Original post by aoxa
No. Just no.

Universities don't give a flying **** whether you have a GCSE language or not. They care about the grades more, and A-level subjects are much more important to them.

Edit - all universities with the exception of UCL. They want GCSE grade C or above. No other universities give one about GCSE languages - even Oxbridge.

No, actually you're incorrect.
Most universities strongly recommend a GCSE in languages. So thank you for your irritating, vexatious, unnecessary comment.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by taylortron99
No, actually you're incorrect.
Most universities strongly recommend a GCSE in languages. So thank you for your irritating, vexatious, unnecessary comment.

I am not incorrect. Most universities do not require a GCSE language, aside from UCL.

My comment was not unnecessary. If OP is going to do French at GCSE and not do well, this would be worse than doing a different GCSE and doing well - having a strong GCSE profile would reflect better on OP than having a weaker profile and having a language.
Original post by student_14
Right, I am in year 9 and am about to choose my GCSE's.
So far I have chosen Sociology and Geography.I am stuck on my third option. Its either French,History, Citizenship and Ict. This is why I don't know if I should pick:
French because I know I won't get a good grade and I also don't enjoy it.
History because its too much for me if I do Geography too. And it seems Really hard!
Citizenship because it is just like Sociology except that it is more practical i.e. holding campaigns and sociology is theory.
Ict because Apparently it is really hard and I don't think I'll be able to do it.

Please help!!!!! Tell me what you find easier and why. Also mention what options you have chosen and why. Also tell me which papers your school do i.e AQA , EDEXEL etc
Your opinions will be very much appreciated : )

Definitely pick French. you can pick history at a level even without the GCSE in it if you regret not taking it, and same goes with citizenship (i think). French is not too difficult as long as you revise your vocab. It is pretty much just a memory test, you write 200 words, memorize it and boom, A* just like that! And if you ever feel you are struggling, you can always ask or look up tips or this website or others. Trust me, go for French. the majority of russell group unis require a C grade in a language, and its a great not too difficult impressive option.
Reply 10
Original post by bluesandgreens
Definitely pick French. you can pick history at a level even without the GCSE in it if you regret not taking it, and same goes with citizenship (i think). French is not too difficult as long as you revise your vocab. It is pretty much just a memory test, you write 200 words, memorize it and boom, A* just like that! And if you ever feel you are struggling, you can always ask or look up tips or this website or others. Trust me, go for French. the majority of russell group unis require a C grade in a language, and its a great not too difficult impressive option.

it depends on school admissions policy (my school you need a C in History GCSE...)
GCSEs will be a bit different for current year 9 cohort (but subjects obviously won't change!)

Just do what you will enjoy for two years.. I would say a language though as they're good, useful and fun! :smile:
Take what you will enjoy most. any language is hard, you won't get a good grade unless you really enjoy it and have a natural talent. ICT is easy, I took it as my 4th and got an A*. history is great - really enjoyable, i Did Germany and medicine through time and now do it at a level. just do what you will enjoy most and feel are likely to do at a level !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Thanxxxx guyz...I have chosen my options now and i picked Geography, Sociology and French!! :smile:
:smile:
What not to choose. History. Everything else is easy :smile:
Thanxxxx guyz...I have chosen my options now and i picked Geography, Sociology and French!! :smile:

Great choice! :wink:
Reply 15
Original post by bluesandgreens
Great choice! :wink:

thanxx :smile:
Reply 16

I think you made the right decision :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by miacat
I think you made the right decision :smile:

thxxx
Reply 18
Original post by bowtiesarec00l
I'm in year 9 too and at our school the ICT GCSE is something that is compulsory and everyone does a year early (I'm doing it now :smile:). We're doing the course by CIDA and it basically involves designing a website and creating a video game. I'm finding it wayyy easier than I expected although certain aspects are quite time consuming.
I'm also taking French and History. At our school the teachers all say employers are looking for a language so that might be something to take in to consideration (I don't really trust them though as its mainly the language teachers saying that)
Apparently History involves a lot of essay writing which initially put me off, but I suppose most subjects do.
They don't offer citizenship at our school so I don't really know about that. In the end I suppose you should just do what you enjoy :smile: xx

yep i have heard Uni and employers' look for languages too.. It isn't a Must but its good to take it

Quick Reply

Latest