The Student Room Group

The Somali Society Mk III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by missfats
Lol.
I don't even know what's a niiko but I've been told by others that it's a sum weird dance.

I never. :mad:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You were the one who taught me about niiko though >_>
Original post by The Epicurean
You were the one who taught me about niiko though >_>

Lol.
Yeah I've seen it in some weddings.
mad tings

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you consider Djibotians to be Somali?
salaaam. who here has twitter?
Original post by AintGatNoClue

yes. they're somali. i dont understand why some of them distance themselves from being associated with somalia loool
Original post by Secretnerd123
salaaam. who here has twitter?

Walaykuma Salam and i did but i deactivated due to exams.
This thread died :frown: y'all follow my antics on sc:snapperboy12 i just post black screens sometimes my small beard and snap rants about stupid stuff. Guess what though exams in 11 weeks. :O
Original post by MathsAddict
Walaykuma Salam and i did but i deactivated due to exams.

im addictedd haha
Original post by AintGatNoClue

Yeah and I even love the support they always give us😍😍

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ohhh this page is still going strong I see:K::^_^:
Hey fellow Somalians
Is moving out for uni often perceived negatively in Somalian society?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reacher65
Hey fellow Somalians

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lmao, are you 12?
Hey fellow Somalians

Posted from TSR Mobile

Somali***

Depends more on how strict your parents are tbh. I've been discussing this with my parents and they initially couldn't even believe I'd consider living in dorms because of all the bad stuff that goes on in residential halls (drugs, sex, parties you get the point). But I will say that EVERY single relative of my mine is against living in dorms or moving far away from relatives so I guess it's perceived as a bad thing in the Somali community. Plus, I don't know of a single Somali person (in the US, that is) that has lived in dorms so there's that. And moving away? It's a big no-no, of course unless you're going to go to a uni that is in a place where your relatives or parent's friends live.

*Note that I'm talking about US universities. What I said about what goes on in residential halls may not apply to the UK.

By moving away do you mean living in dorms or moving to another region of the country for university?

And why are you asking (are you think of moving away)?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Lmao, are you 12?

????
I don't get it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pbunny
Somali***

Depends more on how strict your parents are tbh. I've been discussing this with my parents and they initially couldn't even believe I'd consider living in dorms because of all the bad stuff that goes on in residential halls (drugs, sex, parties you get the point). But I will say that EVERY single relative of my mine is against living in dorms or moving far away from relatives so I guess it's perceived as a bad thing in the Somali community. Plus, I don't know of a single Somali person (in the US, that is) that has lived in dorms so there's that. And moving away? It's a big no-no, of course unless you're going to go to a uni that is in a place where your relatives or parent's friends live.

*Note that I'm talking about US universities. What I said about what goes on in residential halls may not apply to the UK.

By moving away do you mean living in dorms or moving to another region of the country for university?

And why are you asking (are you think of moving away)?

I mean halls.
Yeah I'm considering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lmao, are you 12?

Hey! Do you know what the Cass accounting and finance course is like? How well do people who study the course place into the big 4 public accounting firms?
Original post by pbunny
Hey! Do you know what the Cass accounting and finance course is like? How well do people who study the course place into the big 4 public accounting firms?

Lol, who doesn't get into big4 is the question. It's not incredibly difficult to get into, especially at a target/semi-target studying a relevant degree.

But why would you want to work in big4? We go into Investment Banks girl.

Big 4 starting salaries are like what? 30k lmao
Go get that 70k first years.

Here's my profile: http://uk.linkedin.com/in/abdulkarimali

From that, you can make your own deductions as to what the reputatbility of the business school can offer.
(edited 9 years ago)
I mean halls.
Yeah I'm considering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I totally understand how hard it's to convince your parents to you live in a dorm, been there done that! Have any of your relatives lived in dorms (they could help)? Have you tried telling them all the cons of commuting (there are legit studies that show that commuting has a negative impact on your grades)? The latter worked for me. But do consider that you'll be saving your parents a lot of money (not sure how much room and board in the UK is but I'm assuming its expensive) by commuting - maybe that's why they're against it?
Original post by pbunny
I totally understand how hard it's to convince your parents to you live in a dorm, been there done that! Have any of your relatives lived in dorms (they could help)? Have you tried telling them all the cons of commuting (there are legit studies that show that commuting has a negative impact on your grades)? The latter worked for me. But do consider that you'll be saving your parents a lot of money (not sure how much room and board in the UK is but I'm assuming its expensive) by commuting - maybe that's why they're against it?

The kid has SFE, it'll cover his expenses. He can just work to pay the shortfall, or get good A levels and claim a scholarship.
Lol, who doesn't get into big4 is the question. It's not incredibly difficult to get into, especially at a target/semi-target studying a relevant degree.

But why would you want to work in big4? We go into Investment Banks girl.

Big 4 starting salaries are like what? 30k lmao
Go get that 70k first years.

Here's my profile: http://uk.linkedin.com/in/abdulkarimali

From that, you can make your own deductions as to what the reputatbility of the business school can offer.

Really? My dad says it's pretty damn competitive in the US :redface:

Investment banking? NEVER! For that matter, I will never consider going into anything that requires working 100+ hours/week. Sorry. I want to have a life, kids and a family. I actually was seriously looking into investment banking after my dad told me I should consider those types of jobs if I'm interested in working in the finance industry. I've done my research and definitely won't ever consider going down that path again.

30K (BTW it's higher in the US, around $52-58K (34-39K pounds) depending on where you live) is plenty of money IMO to live comfortably as a single recent college grad. I'm planning on living a relatively comfortable life (as in upper middle class) and have a work life balance - accounting meets my career goals (my dad's a chartered accountant so I've got a decent idea of what it's like).

Why do you want to go into IBD (why would you do that to yourself)?

BTW what are the target and semi-target unis in London? The only London unis I've seen on league tables for accounting and finance are LSE, Cass & Queen Mary - are they the only target unis? Is university of birmingham a target?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending