The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hskjlclcn
Yeah, I can't imagine there'll be any slowness in the appeal being accepted and overturned. Not sure what Watford can really do, any champ club would rather play against him than there other 3 forwards anyway.

Good win for your lot at the weekend as well, Mowatt is a beast!

I'd hit him with a hefty fine. I was utterly embarrassed (and a little amused) when I saw Adryan perform that horrific dive against Derby, think he actually won the Fallon d'Floor award for it.

Mowatt is having a blinder, still just 20 years old. 1 of the 4 young academy kids we have as first teamers, I'm fearful they'll be cherry picked in the Summer. We declined a £3mil bid for Sam Byram from Southampton, and Arsenal & Liverpool were reportedly interested in him, though he's honestly not good enough for those teams.

Anyway, our season is effectively over now, another season stuck in this fiercely competitive league, but I'd really like for us to have a promotion push next season.
Original post by TornadoGR4
I'd hit him with a hefty fine. I was utterly embarrassed (and a little amused) when I saw Adryan perform that horrific dive against Derby, think he actually won the Fallon d'Floor award for it.

Mowatt is having a blinder, still just 20 years old. 1 of the 4 young academy kids we have as first teamers, I'm fearful they'll be cherry picked in the Summer. We declined a £3mil bid for Sam Byram from Southampton, and Arsenal & Liverpool were reportedly interested in him, though he's honestly not good enough for those teams.

Anyway, our season is effectively over now, another season stuck in this fiercely competitive league, but I'd really like for us to have a promotion push next season.

Yeah had a Leeds save last year on FM and he absolutely owned it, you could see all their composure when you played Boro the other week too. I feel the league isn't going to get any less competitive. Put it this way the sides coming down from the Prem are neither going to be good enough to run away with it or do as badly as Fulham did this season (unless QPR have the financial meltdown which has been due for about 5 years now)
Yeah had a Leeds save last year on FM and he absolutely owned it, you could see all their composure when you played Boro the other week too. I feel the league isn't going to get any less competitive. Put it this way the sides coming down from the Prem are neither going to be good enough to run away with it or do as badly as Fulham did this season (unless QPR have the financial meltdown which has been due for about 5 years now)

Interesting you see it that way, I thought the obscene money given to relegated clubs was supposed to make it easier for these clubs to come right back up.
Original post by Midlander
Interesting you see it that way, I thought the obscene money given to relegated clubs was supposed to make it easier for these clubs to come right back up.

Depends if they keep their good players, or rather, if their good players can adjust to the Championship. Scott Parker, being a prime example.

You'd think so with the money yeah, but I only see Leicester perhaps being the equivalent of Norwich next season. Burnley or Villa perhaps to do better than Cardiff and if QPR come down then I can see players leaving/anarchy reigning there. Fernandes already said he'd sell, and who'd wanna buy that load of debt?
Holloway's gone.
You'd think so with the money yeah, but I only see Leicester perhaps being the equivalent of Norwich next season. Burnley or Villa perhaps to do better than Cardiff and if QPR come down then I can see players leaving/anarchy reigning there. Fernandes already said he'd sell, and who'd wanna buy that load of debt?

The money is getting astronomical though, the Championship is becoming impossible for teams to compete in without either PL handouts or a benefactor. If we ever get back into it we'll have no chance.
Original post by Jangrafess
Holloway's gone.

Surprised it took so long. Good luck to Neil Harris who has taken over.
Jangrafess can you please take Proschwitz back he is even worse than the lumps we already have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mackie is on absolute fire for Reading. Fair play.
Jangrafess can you please take Proschwitz back he is even worse than the lumps we already have.

Posted from TSR Mobile

no no he's all yours
Shame about Holloway. The guy is an absolute journeyman of a manager. Had more clubs than Jon Stead.
I direct you to my club and Sheffield United. All of those clubs were allowed to spend big, Blackpool won't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Were they? Because Leicesters transfers that year were mostly loans (Martin, Hobbs, Brown, Gilbert, Davies, Bunn, Warner, Cleverley, adjarevic) and a couple of frees (berner, adams, dyer, morrison). I seem to remember Southampton going down haemorrhaging money and unable to spend as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Were they? Because Leicesters transfers that year were mostly loans (Martin, Hobbs, Brown, Gilbert, Davies, Bunn, Warner, Cleverley, adjarevic) and a couple of frees (berner, adams, dyer, morrison). I seem to remember Southampton going down haemorrhaging money and unable to spend as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes the Liebherrs spent nothing during the Saints' promotion season. Also it's not necessarily all about transfer fees as wage budgets will also show large disparity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mackay
Shame about Holloway. The guy is an absolute journeyman of a manager. Had more clubs than Jon Stead.

Always been someone who gets more attention for what he says than his (generally modest with the exception of Blackpool) achievements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes the Liebherrs spent nothing during the Saints' promotion season. Also it's not necessarily all about transfer fees as wage budgets will also show large disparity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Again the wage budgets are bound to be bigger if you've just been relegated, because lowering an operating budget takes time. Question is where those clubs trying to make cuts? Leeds - they went down in severe financial trouble and had to, Leicester sold high earners like hume and replaced them with youngsters on loan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Again the wage budgets are bound to be bigger if you've just been relegated, because lowering an operating budget takes time. Question is where those clubs trying to make cuts? Leeds - they went down in severe financial trouble and had to, Leicester sold high earners like hume and replaced them with youngsters on loan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It does take time however success stories like Saints/Norwich/Leicester were made possible by benevolent and wealthy owners which Blackpool do not have. And nor do we, nor did Leeds and nor did the other sides who had to linger in this division. Wolves had their absurdly high parachute payments to help as well.

It is an awful division where competent ownership gets you a long way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I literally cannot believe we have lost 5 points in three games in injury time. Utter tripe.
Original post by ..DT..
I literally cannot believe we have lost 5 points in three games in injury time. Utter tripe.

James Henry cracker excluded
Reply 2879
Brighton fan here - can't wait for this season to be over tbh, it's been a bit of a nightmare.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest