The Student Room Group

Qts skills test- Literacy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xjay1234
It is not even that.

It is just the spelling! Cos I want to learn all the potential spellings. I learn all the spelling PRE Learndirect take over! So now I am learning all the POST Learndirect words that I am seeing and learning :smile:

That is why I give myself till May! By then I will learn all the new LEARNDIRECT words :smile:

I cant spell any of the random words they require, but have been a HLTA taking classes for the last 6 years...these words are too random!

I wouldn't even say learn the rules of the English language, as it's too random. Focus on your strongest point. From what I have seen, you should focus on the more recent words.

Good luck xx
I agree.

If you get all 10 spelling words correct. Then you are a third of the way there!

But my focus is Numeracy right now and I am READY FOR THAT.

Original post by missie_2004
I cant spell any of the random words they require, but have been a HLTA taking classes for the last 6 years...these words are too random!

I wouldn't even say learn the rules of the English language, as it's too random. Focus on your strongest point. From what I have seen, you should focus on the more recent words.

Good luck xx
Original post by xjay1234
I agree.

If you get all 10 spelling words correct. Then you are a third of the way there!

But my focus is Numeracy right now and I am READY FOR THAT.

Me too! It's all I can think about!! Although, I've heard the practice tests are easier than the actual test! roll on May! I put mine forward a month:colondollar:
Me too! It's all I can think about!! Although, I've heard the practice tests are easier than the actual test! roll on May! I put mine forward a month:colondollar:

Sorry, it was supposed to say the practice tests are harder! :angry:
Hi ya,

I don't think its down to differentiation, just luck.

Like I have written before, I am half deaf so couldn't believe my luck with my spellings. I had a friend, who is 38 and amazing at spelling, fail on her first attempt and that was when punctuation was taken out. It really knocked her confidents. She passed second time.

Sally, when is your test?

It was on Saturday just gone. I'm feeling more hopeful about the numeracy test now.

Hopefully I will pass next time.

Sally

I thought the practise test were a lot easier than the actual test. I must have had a bad one.
Reply 26
A little reminder about the difference between 'practice' and 'practise' (that can also be used to help with the difference between 'licence' and 'license').

The 's' version of both words is when you are using them as a verb ('I need to practise my spellings; I have been practising hard; she practises night and day; I wish I'd practised more). When using the word as a noun, the thing itself, use the 'c' version ('I have a lot of practice still to do'; 'unethical practices will be detected'; 'I have done some practice now'). In summary, if it ends in -ing or -ed, use the 's' version. If you can put 'to' in front, use the 's' version. If you can put 'the' in front, use the 'c' version.

Hope that helps a bit, even though I know everyone hates nouns and verbs!
Excellent way of explaining that!

I like it. I have the yellow book of how to pass first time with the grammar section.

But that is a fantastic way of explaining!

Could you talk about the EFFECT and AFFECT? :P

Effect = result

Affect = Verb

The effects of my injury was clear. (results)

You are affecting my arm. (verb)

lol

English can be complex sifyghpjkdbhfkd anyways NUMERACY IS ON MY MIND!

AND I AM WELL ON MY WAY! I AM EAGER FOR SATURDAY TO COME!

Original post by weeener
A little reminder about the difference between 'practice' and 'practise' (that can also be used to help with the difference between 'licence' and 'license').

The 's' version of both words is when you are using them as a verb ('I need to practise my spellings; I have been practising hard; she practises night and day; I wish I'd practised more). When using the word as a noun, the thing itself, use the 'c' version ('I have a lot of practice still to do'; 'unethical practices will be detected'; 'I have done some practice now'). In summary, if it ends in -ing or -ed, use the 's' version. If you can put 'to' in front, use the 's' version. If you can put 'the' in front, use the 'c' version.

Hope that helps a bit, even though I know everyone hates nouns and verbs!
Can somebody please give me a direct link for the online practice please.

Cos I have completed all of the OLD PEARSON practices online.

I want to practise (yay got it ^_-) some of the LEARN DIRECT ones now.

Cheers

Could you please give a link of the practice online for learn direct?

Cheers =D
I hope this thread keeps going so new Skills Tests spelling words that came up can be added ^_-
Quick random question.

Is Council Tax and Property Tax the same thing?

Cheers
PASS MY NUMERACY SKILLS TEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO ECSTATIC!

Now I can focus on Literacy! half way there!!!!!!!!!
Original post by PrimaryEdSally
Ok, brill. How do I get all the spellings though? Do you have a link?

Hey, sorry!

I didn't see this!

I was just on a massive hype after passing my Numeracy Test.

Anyway, yes, go on the search bar in the top right corner and type in QTS SPELLING TEST SKILLS WORDS and you will see threads.

There is one with 250 words. I check that regularly. People post the words they got. Look at the last 6 months or so worth of threads.
Reply 34
I'm selling my ' how to pass your numeracy QTS skills first time ' for £5 it's almost new and retails for £10 let me know if your interested ... Will sell my literacy one shortly too!
Reply 35
Has anyone done a second resit? Are the spellings the same as the first test?

Any help would be great!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by PrimaryEdSally
I thought the practise test were a lot easier than the actual test. I must have had a bad one.

I felt the same when I did my English one and starting thinking I didn't have enough to revise from since the practice tests were much more easier. I had my literacy for the second time yesterday and my test was much more like the practice test and I passed!! I think it does depend on the test you have as I failed by 5 marks on my first attempt, which I genuinely found difficult. But best of luck!
Reply 37
Original post by TK16

Any help would be great!

Hello, I did a second resist yesterday and passed. The spellings are different in all of the tests. Yes, it may overlap with a couple of words here n there but it would be better to learn all the spellings that can come up using the thread: qts spelling list. I felt my first test was ridiculously hard and I failed by five marks, mostly on punctuation and comprehension. But, I can say the tests are different, as my second test was much easier.

Best of luck!
Reply 38
Just an update, so I passed on my second attempt of the literacy skills test. I gathered, the tests are different: some are harder than others. My second test was more like the practice test which I found relatively easy. Words that came up in my second test were:

1) environmentally
2) governmental
3) irrelevant
4) superseded
5) stringent
6) compulsory
7) successfully
8) procedural
9) appropriately
10) independently

Hope you can find this useful. As posted on my previous message, the words are different in all of the tests, but are all of which teachers will use in their professional careers.

Use the thread on the student room by typing in the search for qts spelling list.

Learn the spelling, read more books to understand punctuation and above all concentrate. It is so important to remain focused during the comprehension - if it helps write down notes from the paragraphs. I remember grabbing 4 sheets of A4 at the test centre and writing away in the comprehension section.

I wish you all the best of luck in your tests and for your future career in teaching.
Reply 39
Original post by TK16

Any help would be great!

hi i did my first attempt today and missed out by two marks, really upset. Earliest date i could find is in four weeks time :frown:, do you no if it's the same paper that is generated or do they give different ones.

i was struggling on the comprehension and some spellings had come up which had not been in any of the posts that people have posted up, and i can't remember which ones i had made mistakes on. Hope my next attempts easier :frown:

has anyone done the literacy test recently? if so is there any tips? i mean iv been using the 'steves learning' website. I'm just so disappointed.

Quick Reply

Latest