The Student Room Group

First coursework grade back, not so good :(

I feel so let down because I actually worked hard for this coursework and now that I did not get what I hoped for. I feel less motivated to do well, anyone experienced this and managed to get up on their feet again and do even better?

really in need for some motivational stories. Thanks again guys!!!!!
Reply 1
Screwed up my coursework in English AS, came out with an A overall :yy:
Got a 2:2 in my first essay in first year which actually counted despite spending ages on it. Managed to do better in other essays and exams and just missed out on a first which I should hopefully be able to get this year. Make sure you speak to whoever marked it if possible so you know what you did wrong and hopefully do better next time.
Original post by xxblue
I feel so let down because I actually worked hard for this coursework and now that I did not get what I hoped for. I feel less motivated to do well, anyone experienced this and managed to get up on their feet again and do even better?

really in need for some motivational stories. Thanks again guys!!!!!

I got a 35 in a formative for my first Tort module. Ended up getting a 70. Got an 80 in the problem question and a 60 in the essay lol. And around 30 hours before the deadline, I had to rewrite half the problem question because I read the question wrong.

Are you in your first year?
Reply 4
Original post by RumpeIstiltskin
Got a 2:2 in my first essay in first year which actually counted despite spending ages on it. Managed to do better in other essays and exams and just missed out on a first which I should hopefully be able to get this year. Make sure you speak to whoever marked it if possible so you know what you did wrong and hopefully do better next time.

Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
I got a 35 in a formative for my first Tort module. Ended up getting a 70. Got an 80 in the problem question and a 60 in the essay lol. And around 30 hours before the deadline, I had to rewrite half the problem question because I read the question wrong.

Are you in your first year?

Thanks guys!!!!

Yes, I'm in first year. I got my first contract assessment results and I got 48 (shame because I worked really hard for this). The feedback form generally said that I was talking about irrelevant topics (which when reading up on now I wonder why I even mentioned it). I'm gonna work really hard for my last piece of coursework because i want to average 60%. I'm also going to book an appointment with my lecturer and get other points of improvement.

I would like to do the coursework again but I will only get capped for 40% so I don't see a point?

Do you think 60% average will work out for me?

Oh, as you have mentioned tort/public law - any advice for my upcoming exams and revision techniques?

Thanks again!!
Reply 5
Original post by Arkasia
Screwed up my coursework in English AS, came out with an A overall :yy:

Thanks!!!
Original post by xxblue
Thanks guys!!!!

Yes, I'm in first year. I got my first contract assessment results and I got 48 (shame because I worked really hard for this). The feedback form generally said that I was talking about irrelevant topics (which when reading up on now I wonder why I even mentioned it). I'm gonna work really hard for my last piece of coursework because i want to average 60%. I'm also going to book an appointment with my lecturer and get other points of improvement.

I would like to do the coursework again but I will only get capped for 40% so I don't see a point?

Oh, as you have mentioned tort/public law - any advice for my upcoming exams and revision techniques?

Thanks again!!

I tend to highlight everything important in the problem question and then make a list of issues. I then use tables to map out the issue, law, application and conclusion. You'll learn to recognise the irrelevant stuff with practice.

60 overall for contract?

I never revised for public law so can't help there.

Tort law, I made like a rough handbook for each topic. Principles, cases and commentary. And then revised from there.

And revision cards to remember the cases.
Reply 7
I tend to highlight everything important in the problem question and then make a list of issues. I then use tables to map out the issue, law, application and conclusion. You'll learn to recognise the irrelevant stuff with practice.

60 overall for contract?

I never revised for public law so can't help there.

Tort law, I made like a rough handbook for each topic. Principles, cases and commentary. And then revised from there.

And revision cards to remember the cases.

yes I really need 60 overall for contract, do you think there is any hope?

Thank you, I'm trying to write our my notes now and then start on the revision cards with the journal/article readings. Do you think I can risk missing out one topic or should I revise all the topics that have been taught?

any advice would be great.
Original post by xxblue
yes I really need 60 overall for contract, do you think there is any hope?

Thank you, I'm trying to write our my notes now and then start on the revision cards with the journal/article readings. Do you think I can risk missing out one topic or should I revise all the topics that have been taught?

any advice would be great.

It's achievable yeah. I think you'd need like 72 then for the exam.

I always went through everything but always skipped the detail for the topic I hated the most. There's always one.
Reply 9
It's achievable yeah. I think you'd need like 72 then for the exam.

I always went through everything but always skipped the detail for the topic I hated the most. There's always one.

Contract law is coursework based for us (thank god) so I have to do well in my essay assessment now. This coursework is weighted 50% (problem question) 50% (essay question). So I have to somehow do really well in the essay lol.

I really like private nuisance but hate Ryland's V fletcher rule eurgh. Also, quick question if we are answering a question on psychiatric injury/ economic loss. How would we structure it? Would it be for exp. duty of care, breach of duty, causation, remoteness and then psychiatric injury/economic loss, correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks again.
Original post by xxblue
Contract law is coursework based for us (thank god) so I have to do well in my essay assessment now. This coursework is weighted 50% (problem question) 50% (essay question). So I have to somehow do really well in the essay lol.

I really like private nuisance but hate Ryland's V fletcher rule eurgh. Also, quick question if we are answering a question on psychiatric injury/ economic loss. How would we structure it? Would it be for exp. duty of care, breach of duty, causation, remoteness and then psychiatric injury/economic loss, correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks again.

lol Lucky. I had a contract exam. Did okay though. Failed the coursework.

What I remember from tort is that we didn't do psychiatric injury. We did mostly negligence in semester 1.

So I stated the outcome from the problem question.
Issue 1: was if the council owed a duty of care?
2: Was there a breach? My answer was that a breach would need to prove certain facts such as the harbour wasn't locked. All the problem mentioned was that there were fences in the way but it sounded like the fences could easily be moved. The public owed a duty to lock the area off due to the severe risk to harm to the public. Especially because the council knew it was a popular diving area.
3: Did the breach cause the damage/loss?
3: Was it the dude's fault?/contributory negligence?

I hated that problem question though. I needed at least another 300 words to get a good enough answer in the end.
Reply 11
lol Lucky. I had a contract exam. Did okay though. Failed the coursework.

What I remember from tort is that we didn't do psychiatric injury. We did mostly negligence in semester 1.

So I stated the outcome from the problem question.
Issue 1: was if the council owed a duty of care?
2: Was there a breach? My answer was that a breach would need to prove certain facts such as the harbour wasn't locked. All the problem mentioned was that there were fences in the way but it sounded like the fences could easily be moved. The public owed a duty to lock the area off due to the severe risk to harm to the public. Especially because the council knew it was a popular diving area.
3: Did the breach cause the damage/loss?
3: Was it the dude's fault?/contributory negligence?

I hated that problem question though. I needed at least another 300 words to get a good enough answer in the end.

thank you!!!! This is very helpful.

I'm soo confused with topics such as economic losses. How do we answer this topics in relation to problem questions??
Original post by xxblue
thank you!!!! This is very helpful.

I'm soo confused with topics such as economic losses. How do we answer this topics in relation to problem questions??

No idea sorry. We never had to study economic losses much even though it was in the lecture outlines.

What textbook are you using?

EDIT
I read through the Law Express Q&A books to get an idea for structure
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
No idea sorry. We never had to study economic losses much even though it was in the lecture outlines.

What textbook are you using?

EDIT
I read through the Law Express Q&A books to get an idea for structure

I'm using street on torts and Tort law by horsey and rackley (very good).

I also have the Law Express books so I'LL just read them and get a feel for how I am supposed to structure it!!!! Thanks for your advice.

I really want to do well in tort law because I love learning it's contents.
Original post by xxblue
Thanks guys!!!!

Thanks again!!

Hi.. I think it's all about the research.. but the thing is you also need to know how to structure your coursework effectively. You should have a look at first class example essays on the Law Essay Journal. You can access it free from revisionmaster.co.uk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending