The Student Room Group

Which Foreign Language should I take for A-Level?!?

So basically, I'm a very enthusiastic language learner who is currently studying French and Spanish at GCSE Level and predicted A* in both. I would love to take both for A-Level however my school has just told me that I can't as it's not 'financially viable' so I can only choose one!:frown:

Which one, FRENCH or SPANISH?

I have until Monday 16th March to decide
I always admired speakers of the Spanish language :u:

Well, we certainly can not make the decision for you! You may as well ask the question, "Tell me what my favourite colour is?" We will not know which language you prefer. Both languages are spoken world wide. Consider what travel benefits Spanish/ French may reap.

French: Spoken across Central and Northern Africa (and maybe parts of the west + madagascar), France & Belgium and islands of the Caribbean.
Spanish: Southern America & Spain + Mexico

Consider what you would like to study, it's a personal decision to make.

Bonne chance mon ami!

Hope this helps,

frogs r everywhere
(edited 9 years ago)
More people speak Spanish...

+ the French speak French.........................
Reply 3
french is sexier !!
but seriously why would taking both be bad??
the two go really well together, most people i know who do spanish do french as well??????????
(well done on ur A*s btw!!)
Strange, I know someone doing Spanish, French and German at A-Level...

I'd say pick what you enjoy. Spanish is likely to have a smaller class size.
Reply 5
Spanish is likely to contain a lot more banter than French.
Original post by Bobjim12
More people speak Spanish...

+ the French speak French.........................

Belgians, the French west Indians, some Caribbean islands, a big chunk of west/north/ central Africans and those in the Madagascar island, Guadeloupe, Canadians (Quebec), they all speak French haha!
(edited 9 years ago)
Spanish is definitely an interesting language to study. (No offence to the French speakers)
My girlfriend speaks Spanish and her family is Cuban so most of her family's first language is Spanish so I'm having to play catch up and learn Spanish as quick as possible so I'm regretting learning it in school.

So going by my experience, I'd suggest Spanish, simply because I've found that I come across more native Spanish speakers then I do French.
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Belgians, the French west Indians, some Caribbean islands, a big chunk of west/north/ central Africans and those in the Madagascar island, Guadeloupe, Canadians (Quebec), they all speak French haha!

Just mental
Reply 9
Original post by antisansculotte
Strange, I know someone doing Spanish, French and German at A-Level...

I'd say pick what you enjoy. Spanish is likely to have a smaller class size.

my school is very small with currently just over 20 in my yeargroup. small class size for spanish is an understatement, theres only me doing french and spanish
Reply 10
Original post by futbol
Spanish is likely to contain a lot more banter than French.

true, i do love the banter. my old teacher taught me alot of insults in spanish

Quick Reply

Latest