The Student Room Group
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton

Multimedia Journalism Applicants 2015

Hello! Just thought I'd make a thread for any S/Solent Multimedia Journalism applicants :smile:
A few questions to get this forum started:
1. Why Southampton Solent? Loved the applicant day and the course looks amazing.
2: Firm, Insurance, other? Possibly firm.
3. Offer? Yes.
4. Which accommodation do you want? Hopefully Deanery.
5: Where are you from/age? South Wales, 18.

:smile:
Reply 1
I know what you mean with the home away from home thing, that's exactly how I felt and yeah, Kristian was lovely!

Hmm I've heard a few people say that about Deanery but I've had a look at the pictures online and I can't see myself in another hall. When applications open I might email and ask if I can be put on one of the top floors, it shouldn't be as loud there because you'd be so far from the ground you'll be less likely to hear any shouting going on outside and there wont be as many people going up and down the elevator past you're flat. I'm the same though, definitely up for a good time but I also like sleep and want to be able to get work done.

Good luck to you too :smile: I'm honestly so glad I've found someone else thinking of going there, there doesn't seem to be a lot of up to date threads on here about S/Solent, they're all from like 2012. :frown:
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton
Reply 2
Original post by tiff182
:biggrin:

Haha, yeah! That makes sense. Plus, it's an excuse to not get the stairs (wow I am so unfit!)

And yup, we'll have to explore Southampton if we both decide to go, especially with the fact both of us will be travelling a bit to get there. I looked to see if anyone had posted but found nothing so when I looked today I was over the moon to find your post. I've only spoken to one other person who is going, thanks to Twitter haha!

Ahaha! Same!

And yeah, that would be good. I had a little walk around with my parents on the applicant day, it seems like everything you could possibly need is in walking distance which is nice. :smile: And that's cool, hopefully more people will start to pop up once offers are confirmed and such.
Hey guys,

I'm a first year Multimedia Journalism student at Solent and I also live in Deanery so if you have any questions about the course or halls or uni itself, let me know :smile: x
Original post by tiff182
Hi there,

Could you tell me what the ratio of work is, in regards to group work and individual work? Also, how quickly did you apply for Deanery? I've heard places are out quickly as it's the favourite (it's the one I really have my eye on!)

Thanks! :biggrin: x

Hey :smile:

In my first term we had 6 assignments, 2 for each module. One of these was a group audio project, the rest were individual. Even though this was the case we do work in groups a lot on mini projects and just generally in the course - it's a great atmosphere and even with the assignments being individual, everyone in my year helps one another so you're never really working by yourself. Also, this term we're studying video, so the assignments are both partly group work.

I applied for Deanery on the first day the accommodation applications opened. I missed Sixth Form for the day to make sure I did it as soon as it opened because I'd also heard that Deanery was the most popular. I definitely recommend doing the accommodation application as soon as you can after it opens. It takes away a lot of stress and doubt that way.

xx
(edited 9 years ago)
1. Love the look of the city and thought the course looked perfect for me. Also, I'm a devout Christian and Southampton has several great churches.
2: I have already firmed Solent, Bangor is my insurance.
3. Yep, got an offer.
4. Deanery, looks like a good location and en-suite.
5: I'm from Fermanagh, Northern Ireland but I've lived near Chippenham in Wiltshire for almost 2 years, I'm 18 years old.
Original post by tiff182
Thanks for that! It sure sounds intense at the moment, for me, but I'm sure things will be fine when settled! Also, in regards to working within groups - how is that determined? I'm kind of worried about being made to do something that I'm perhaps not quite as confident on (personal reasons!)

Again, thanks for the heads up with that! You've helped a lot, haha:smile: x

Sometimes it's determined by the lecturer, but most of the time you pick what group you're in and what role you're wanting to do. Also if there's anything you're not particularly comfortable with, I'm sure if you let the course leader or lecturers know they wouldn't force you to do anything.

That's fine! :smile: x
Reply 7
Original post by DanTheMan96
1. Love the look of the city and thought the course looked perfect for me. Also, I'm a devout Christian and Southampton has several great churches.
2: I have already firmed Solent, Bangor is my insurance.
3. Yep, got an offer.
4. Deanery, looks like a good location and en-suite.
5: I'm from Fermanagh, Northern Ireland but I've lived near Chippenham in Wiltshire for almost 2 years, I'm 18 years old.

Hey Dan! Are you a fan of Achievement Hunter by any chance? (I realize that's probably a very random question if your not) :P

I've firmed Solent as well so if all goes to plan we'll probably run into each other next year :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Lottie626
Hey guys,

I'm a first year Multimedia Journalism student at Solent and I also live in Deanery so if you have any questions about the course or halls or uni itself, let me know :smile: x

Hello! I was wondering what is it like living in Deanery and student halls/with other people in general? And what do the rooms/kitchens look like because they've been updated since the images on the website were taken haven't they?
Also how stressful/relaxed/organised is the course and are all the tutors easy to get along with?

Sorry for all the questions ahaha!
Original post by ABerrie
Hello! I was wondering what is it like living in Deanery and student halls/with other people in general? And what do the rooms/kitchens look like because they've been updated since the images on the website were taken haven't they?
Also how stressful/relaxed/organised is the course and are all the tutors easy to get along with?

Sorry for all the questions ahaha!

Hey,

I myself am a very introverted person and I don't like clubbing and I don't drink alcohol, so it's been quite difficult for me personally to adjust to living in halls - but it's all down to what you're like personally. The people themselves are great, if you get a nice flat. Some of my friends from the course have had bad experiences with their flatmates while I've made some life long friends. Just make sure you have some ground rules when you move in like "We can share bread and milk but get your hands off my cereal" type things.

I just took a look at the pictures on the website and to be honest, they're still pretty accurate. The kitchen picture (which fooled me last year) is actually only showing what the top 2 floors look like, as they're the only floors with a big window like that, the rest just have standard windows with a window seat next to the table. At least, mine does anyway, a lot of kitchens are different.

A basic rundown of Deanery is this: 10 rooms per flat, 2 flats per floor (red and blue), 8 floors in a block and 3 blocks.

In regards to the course, I'm telling you now that you're going to have modules that you love but you're also going to have modules that make you want to rip your hair out. Luckily I've only had one of the latter so far. Just make sure you stay on top of your assignments and it shouldn't be too stressful. It's a really nice course and there's the opportunity for a news day every week which is basically the whole MMJ course working together like you would be in a news room, I really enjoy it. So if you were to come to Solent you'd be working with second and third years that day which has been super helpful for me.

The lecturers are really lovely. They're always around somewhere to help either in person or by email and they're definitely easy to get a long with!!
Reply 10
Thank you :smile: That's really helpful! I hope I get along with my flatmates :P

Also, I know there are a lot of optional modules in year 2 and 3 and I was wondering how many of those you're allowed to choose each year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ABerrie
Thank you :smile: That's really helpful! I hope I get along with my flatmates :P

Also, I know there are a lot of optional modules in year 2 and 3 and I was wondering how many of those you're allowed to choose each year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey :smile: I can't actually answer that yet as we haven't picked our options for next year and haven't received info about how many we can choose or what yet so I'll have to let you know that when I find out :smile: x First year is just core modules.
Reply 12
Original post by Lottie626
Hey :smile: I can't actually answer that yet as we haven't picked our options for next year and haven't received info about how many we can choose or what yet so I'll have to let you know that when I find out :smile: x First year is just core modules.

Aww okay then, thanks anyway :smile:
Original post by ABerrie
Hey Dan! Are you a fan of Achievement Hunter by any chance? (I realize that's probably a very random question if your not) :P

I've firmed Solent as well so if all goes to plan we'll probably run into each other next year :smile:

Hey, I'm late replying to this but anyway, yeah I've watched some of their stuff, but my username is just my nickname :wink:
Yeah it'll be cool to meet you next year if all goes to plan! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest