The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Offer Holders 2015 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ela Pari Huws
Ah nice! Well I loved Durham when i visited and the college system seems to make it a lot easier to settle in and feel at home! But I really love Edinburgh so I don't know! Apparently in Scotland the first year is easier and isn't as heavy, which seems better, but I don't relly understand the differences aha!

But the course is a year longer... :tongue: really can't decide...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by Rovensie
But the course is a year longer... :tongue: really can't decide...

Posted from TSR Mobile

My course is 4 years at Durham aswell at it's an MA so it doesn't help my decision unfortunately!:')
Original post by Ela Pari Huws
My course is 4 years at Durham aswell at it's an MA so it doesn't help my decision unfortunately!:')

But an Edinburgh MA is not the same as a Durham MA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rovensie
But an Edinburgh MA is not the same as a Durham MA

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope I know, In Durham I have to study 3 years of anthropology + 1 year on the social aspect, where in St Andrews most courses is an MA anyway I think
Has anybody heard from joint English Lit yet? Or modern languages?
I'm losing the plot thinking about it
Original post by esrioasaoirse
Has anybody heard from joint English Lit yet? Or modern languages?
I'm losing the plot thinking about it

My friend got a Joint French and English Literature offer about 3 weeks ago - BBB A levels
Oh my god that's the one I applied for, now I really am panicked! Congratulations to your friend though :smile:
I hope they're not finished with offers for that yet!
Oh my god that's the one I applied for, now I really am panicked! Congratulations to your friend though :smile:
I hope they're not finished with offers for that yet!

Edinburgh are notorious for taking forever! I applied for Pharmacology as my 5th choice way back at the October deadline and only heard last month about the offer!
Original post by olivervick
Edinburgh are notorious for taking forever! I applied for Pharmacology as my 5th choice way back at the October deadline and only heard last month about the offer!

Congrats on the offer! Yeah everyone I've spoken to has warned that Edinburgh are one of the slowest, I'm not used to the UK uni system though, is it normal for offers to go out for the same course weeks apart? Or would they all go out in one block?
Congrats on the offer! Yeah everyone I've spoken to has warned that Edinburgh are one of the slowest, I'm not used to the UK uni system though, is it normal for offers to go out for the same course weeks apart? Or would they all go out in one block?

Thanks :smile: Yeah they're notorious. I know people who got offers for the same course weeks apart so it's normal for Edinburgh, the one exception I know of is medicine when they sent out all the offers at 8pm one night haha
Thanks :smile: Yeah they're notorious. I know people who got offers for the same course weeks apart so it's normal for Edinburgh, the one exception I know of is medicine when they sent out all the offers at 8pm one night haha

Will you be firming it? :smile: Oh ok that makes me feel better at least, here I was thinking that was my chances out the window! Hahaha at least everyone in Medicine knew at once! Kind of wish they did the same for the other courses, at least the wait wouldn't be as torturous!
Will you be firming it? :smile: Oh ok that makes me feel better at least, here I was thinking that was my chances out the window! Hahaha at least everyone in Medicine knew at once! Kind of wish they did the same for the other courses, at least the wait wouldn't be as torturous!

I applied for medicine and pharmacology, definitely firming medicine, pharmacology is currently going to be my insurance depending on whether St Andrews give me an offer haha! I'm sure you won't have to wait too much longer to hear from them :smile: Would Ed be your first choice?
I applied for medicine and pharmacology, definitely firming medicine, pharmacology is currently going to be my insurance depending on whether St Andrews give me an offer haha! I'm sure you won't have to wait too much longer to hear from them :smile: Would Ed be your first choice?

I've seen a lot of people applying to St Andrews whereabouts is that? Are your offers all unconditional? Well I'm hoping to hear soon anyway! :smile: Yeah Edinburgh is undoubtedly my first choice, its my only UK choice (I'm from Ireland so my other choices are here - but they're far below Ed on my list)
I've seen a lot of people applying to St Andrews whereabouts is that? Are your offers all unconditional? Well I'm hoping to hear soon anyway! :smile: Yeah Edinburgh is undoubtedly my first choice, its my only UK choice (I'm from Ireland so my other choices are here - but they're far below Ed on my list)

St Andrews is a uni about 1h North of Ed, its one of the oldest in the UK and has a great reputation. My offers are conditional because I've not yet finished my A Levels, AAA and ABB respectively. Fantastic choice! I'm in Northern Ireland myself :smile: Didn't bother applying in Ireland though, I prefer the mainland.
St Andrews is a uni about 1h North of Ed, its one of the oldest in the UK and has a great reputation. My offers are conditional because I've not yet finished my A Levels, AAA and ABB respectively. Fantastic choice! I'm in Northern Ireland myself :smile: Didn't bother applying in Ireland though, I prefer the mainland.

Oh OK so your choices are pretty centered around the same area! I'm sure AAA won't be too out of reach for a med applicant :smile:
I'm from the south, as in possibly the most southern part of Ireland you could reach, you're probably better off, UCAS is a much fairer system to the CAO.
Oh OK so your choices are pretty centered around the same area! I'm sure AAA won't be too out of reach for a med applicant :smile:
I'm from the south, as in possibly the most southern part of Ireland you could reach, you're probably better off, UCAS is a much fairer system to the CAO.

Ive those two and then Birmingham and London so a pretty random selection but definitely Scotland is my top choice. Where did you apply in Ireland? :smile: Yeah... CAO isn't the fairest, and to even have a chance in NI we need to do 4 a levels instead of 3, and for medicine you basically need 4A* :/...
Ive those two and then Birmingham and London so a pretty random selection but definitely Scotland is my top choice. Where did you apply in Ireland? :smile: Yeah... CAO isn't the fairest, and to even have a chance in NI we need to do 4 a levels instead of 3, and for medicine you basically need 4A* :/...

Haha its definitely an eclectic mix :smile:
I applied to University College Cork and University College Dublin with UCD as my number 1, and NUIG in Galway. Most people enjoy questioning why I'm bothering to go to Scotland. Those people must never have been there because even that's reason enough! I had no idea it was that high in NI that's insane!
Reply 317
Original post by cumberlordie
Hi! Italian applicant here! I applied for linguistics, still waiting for Edinburgh to reply though! They're quite slow, aren't they?

Haha, are you really going to study Italian? That's cool!! Why did you choose Italian? I'm curious :biggrin::biggrin:
Yes they are!! OMG, I saw later in the thread that they are starting to send offers for courses similar to mine :eek: :s-smilie:
Haha its definitely an eclectic mix :smile:
I applied to University College Cork and University College Dublin with UCD as my number 1, and NUIG in Galway. Most people enjoy questioning why I'm bothering to go to Scotland. Those people must never have been there because even that's reason enough! I had no idea it was that high in NI that's insane!

Haha you get people like that in Ireland - they don't want to leave home because they haven't a clue what they're missing! Scotland is great for you too because of the heavily reduced fees :smile: Yeah... it puts most people off CAO to be honest.
Haha you get people like that in Ireland - they don't want to leave home because they haven't a clue what they're missing! Scotland is great for you too because of the heavily reduced fees :smile: Yeah... it puts most people off CAO to be honest.

Very true!
Its brilliant and far cheaper than it would be to attend university here! NI have to pay regular fees right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending