The Student Room Group

Durham foundation year medicine 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

Honestly I could ask you questions all day. But I have A level exams to study for, but seriously that sounds incredible. I really hope one day I'm in your position telling someone how amazing durham is.

Have a great day! :smile:
Original post by A1student
Honestly I could ask you questions all day. But I have A level exams to study for, but seriously that sounds incredible. I really hope one day I'm in your position telling someone how amazing durham is.

Have a great day! :smile:

Feel free to ask questions any time. Thanks :smile:
Good luck with everything :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you :smile:
Reply 63
Hey I still haven't had any news from Durham concerning an interview. I hope this is normal, does anyone know when the last interviews are?
Reply 64
Original post by DanHBell
Hey I still haven't had any news from Durham concerning an interview. I hope this is normal, does anyone know when the last interviews are?

I called up a bit ago and apparently I'm on the interview path even though they have not gotten in touch, they're just waiting on my fee assessment. I'm assuming they are still giving out interviews.
(edited 9 years ago)
My friend has had an interview. She said that she was just given ethical questions and why med.

I've only done mmi o style interviews so would be my first traditional style interview.
Original post by DanHBell

Last interviews are by end of March with results given out from April 1st
Original post by FraggleGriffith
The cut off for this years ukcat (normal foundation route) is 625 points- (as you may know already for the gateway path it is reduced by 100 pts, so 525)

Hello sorry please could you just let me know where the source of that information is from? Thank you!
Anyone who also applied last year, come forward, I would like to know what responses you all received, may it be a rejection or interview... Where are you all? :h::h:

Hi Fraggle

I applied again after narrowly missing out on the UKCAT last year.

I've had my interview and I don't feel like I did too well! Whilst I felt like this last year (but was wrong), I secretly thought i'd answered some questions well. However, this year, my responses were not of the same standard as last year! I was far more nervous coming back again!
Original post by ph80
Hi Fraggle

I've had my interview and I don't feel like I did too well! Whilst I felt like this last year (but was wrong), I secretly thought i'd answered some questions well. However, this year, my responses were not of the same standard as last year! I was far more nervous coming back again!

Hello

What sort of questions did they ask you?
Hi A1

I don't think i'm allowed to say and I certainly wouldn't want to jeopardise my place by saying (in the hope that I did do well)!

Sorry.
Original post by ph80
Hi A1

I don't think i'm allowed to say and I certainly wouldn't want to jeopardise my place by saying (in the hope that I did do well)!

Sorry.

Oh sorry yeah no worries :smile:

I'm sure it did go okay I've had so many job interviews and thought they had gone awful and thengot the job in the end.

Also if you got a second interview after you missed your UKCAT last year they obviously must like you as they are giving you a second chance.

Wish you the best and don't worry!
Original post by ph80
Hi Fraggle

Do not let your inner worries consume you, I think it is different to how you perceived yourself to the impression they got of you. It is normal to feel unsure when there is so much at stake. Who conducted the interview?

I honestly feel a tad cheated as I made the exact same application as last year, and everyone I kept in touch with from last year got another chance this year, except me.
But I believe in faith and after hearing the stories of my friend who is an FY1 student right now, maybe it was meant to be for me not becoming a doc.
Anyway, interested to hear who interviewed you and whether they knew you were a reapplicant?
Original post by A1student
Hello

What sort of questions did they ask you?

I was interviewed last year and to keep it brief and not break rules: they asked the normal Qs that would come up in a medical interview: why a doctor, and not a nurse, what are the less attractive sides of being a doctor, etc.
And there was one or two medical scenarios where you had to make a moral decision.
But if you read the good medical practise of the GMC, this should mean to problem. Generally speaking, there are some good interview books to prepare you and on youtube there is a great selection of clips too to help you with questions.
Hope this helps.
Do not let your inner worries consume you, I think it is different to how you perceived yourself to the impression they got of you. It is normal to feel unsure when there is so much at stake. Who conducted the interview?

I honestly feel a tad cheated as I made the exact same application as last year, and everyone I kept in touch with from last year got another chance this year, except me.
But I believe in faith and after hearing the stories of my friend who is an FY1 student right now, maybe it was meant to be for me not becoming a doc.
Anyway, interested to hear who interviewed you and whether they knew you were a reapplicant?

I hope they got a good impression as I keep thinking I came across as some sort of thick chancer! I was devastated last year when I didn't get in and whilst I want to stay positive, I am struggling. I don't think i've ever wanted anything as much as I want this!

What stories have you heard from your friend?

I didn't mention that I was a reapplicant (due to them not seeing my personal statement I thought that they shouldn't know about my previous application), but they may well have known anyway!
Unfortunately she told me there is a rife bullying in the NHS and the occasional mistreatment of FY students by some of the senior consultants that should support you the most. But most of all, she absolutely has no free time ( I literally mean; none) and already regrets becoming a doc.
She was ever so enthusiastic about it but as soon as foundation training started, her whole opinion changed and says it is not worth the extreme sacrifices you make.
Obviously, that's just one opinion but right now she is less than impressed.
(edited 9 years ago)
It's sad to hear that things are not going well for your friend. To put a positive slant on it, I am sure things will change for her in FY2. :smile:
Original post by ph80
It's sad to hear that things are not going well for your friend. To put a positive slant on it, I am sure things will change for her in FY2. :smile:

That's what she is hoping too 😊
She is doing Paeds right now which she is not enjoying ATM but very soon she she is moving onto Acute Medicine and hopes it will be more of her cup of tea.
Has anyone heard back yet from recent interviews
Reply 79
no not yet, I had mine recently and I felt it went really bad

Quick Reply

Latest