The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Original post by cant_think_of_name
Ngata, Unger, Graham, Foles, Bradford all just switched teams what is this

I had a very excited post about this but my free train wifi ran out halfway through

AND

Locker retired. This is carnage pure and simple.
My analysis of the Seahawks trade::::

I'm really not sure on it. Graham is good; elite, at his best. A fantastic red-zone target and he'll be the number one target in this offense. It frees up some of the pressure on Doug Baldwin, and hopefully we'll draft a WR this time around (praying for Paul Richardson to come back).

I like Graham being added to the offense, but I'm really not sure about the price - a first round pick AND Max Unger? I know Unger's basically made of glass but Graham's hardly been injury free himself. We have no depth at center (Patrick Lewis??? Lemuel Jeanpierre?! Neither probably on the roster by the start of the regular season). We need and I repeat need to sign Stefen Wisniewski now, it has to be our top priority. Otherwise we're gonna have to take our starter with the 63rd pick which is hardly a wonderful situation to be in.

This could pay off big time but I'm very wary of this going horribly wrong.

Not to mention when we played the Saints last season there was a bit of beef with Graham and a few of our guys (Bennett and Irvin iirc) wasn't there? So I'm not sure how this'll affect team dynamics.

In other news, I think the Ngata trade is a good deal for both teams, and the Eagles trade is hard to see a winner of, we'll have to wait and see if: a) Bradford can stay healthy. and b) if Foles can play alright
My analysis of the Seahawks trade::::

I'm really not sure on it. Graham is good; elite, at his best. A fantastic red-zone target and he'll be the number one target in this offense. It frees up some of the pressure on Doug Baldwin, and hopefully we'll draft a WR this time around (praying for Paul Richardson to come back).

I like Graham being added to the offense, but I'm really not sure about the price - a first round pick AND Max Unger? I know Unger's basically made of glass but Graham's hardly been injury free himself. We have no depth at center (Patrick Lewis??? Lemuel Jeanpierre?! Neither probably on the roster by the start of the regular season). We need and I repeat need to sign Stefen Wisniewski now, it has to be our top priority. Otherwise we're gonna have to take our starter with the 63rd pick which is hardly a wonderful situation to be in.

I completely agree, a first round pick and Max Unger is way too much - Graham is on a huge contract too. We're definitely in need of a TE after letting Miller and Moaeki go and Luke Willson has never been convincing.

Will be interesting to see how this turns out, Graham is a fantastic catcher so could rack up some Gronk style yards for us (fingers crossed), but he's not exactly the best blocker around.
I would have liked to see us take Maxx Williams in the first round really. Ah, well. I trust Pete Carroll and Jon Schneider
I'm not too sure what to make of this carnage.

Well, it's sad to hear Jake Locker retired. He showed signs of being quality. I fear we might hear Sam Bradford do the same thing.

Rams are big winners out of that trade. They get Nick Foles.

The Jimmy Graham trade....was unexpected. The Seahawks have had to pay a hefty price, but if it wins them another superbowl...well it would be worth it for Seattle.

I'm just very happy the Broncos tendered Tony Carter, Ben Garland, resigned Steven Johnson, Virgil Green and signed Owen Daniels. Solid start, with the limited cap available.
Reply 665
I would have liked to see us take Maxx Williams in the first round really. Ah, well. I trust Pete Carroll and Jon Schneider

I trusted Louis van Gaal, and Dave Caldwell, both are doing a great job of driving me to despair at the moment. They need more than trust.

Looks like we got a fourth round pick out of it too which does make it better from a Seahawks perspective
Original post by Wattsy
I trusted Louis van Gaal, and Dave Caldwell, both are doing a great job of driving me to despair at the moment. They need more than trust.

I honestly can't believe the Jags paid $9.2M to Julius Thomas. Oh well, the Jags have to spend a lot of money to get over the salary cap floor, but they are not doing it on good players....

Shannon Sharpe absolutely scolded him. http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/3/10/8181573/shannon-sharpe-on-julius-thomas-he-quit-on-the-broncos

"He quit on the Broncos making less than a mil. Give him 9 mil what would he do?"

Julius Thomas:
+ Great Hands
+ Elite catch radius.
+ Highpoints the ball well
+ Match up nightmare; good athleticism.
+ Basketball traits...uses his body to box out, and make the catch

-- Can't block for toffee.
-- Questionable effort.
-- Runs a sloppy route, and will be liable for picks thrown in his direction as a result.
-- Injury Prone; misses more games than he really should due to unwillingness to get on the field.
-- Is now going to be significantly overpaid for two year's worth of production.

Julius Thomas was good, but Elway was never going to overpay for him. $9M+ is outrageous. $4-6M would have been an okay price for his skillset.
Reply 668
Original post by jammy4041
I honestly can't believe the Jags paid $9.2M to Julius Thomas. Oh well, the Jags have to spend a lot of money to get over the salary cap floor, but they are not doing it on good players....

Shannon Sharpe absolutely scolded him. http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/3/10/8181573/shannon-sharpe-on-julius-thomas-he-quit-on-the-broncos

"He quit on the Broncos making less than a mil. Give him 9 mil what would he do?"

Julius Thomas:
+ Great Hands
+ Elite catch radius.
+ Highpoints the ball well
+ Match up nightmare; good athleticism.
+ Basketball traits...uses his body to box out, and make the catch

-- Can't block for toffee.
-- Questionable effort.
-- Runs a sloppy route, and will be liable for picks thrown in his direction as a result.
-- Injury Prone; misses more games than he really should due to unwillingness to get on the field.
-- Is now going to be significantly overpaid for two year's worth of production.

Julius Thomas was good, but Elway was never going to overpay for him. $9M+ is outrageous. $4-6M would have been an okay price for his skillset.

I really want to justify his price because I like Dave, at draft time he's guy you want on your side. Only 5M or so is guaranteed I guess so that does make it better, the 9.2 is only 2M more than we're paying Lewis. I need to stop this bull****, I hope he plays like his contract or I fear for Gus and Dave and I like Gus, now with Dave's FA splashes I'm not so sure on him.

Also, if Blackmon returns which I think he will, Julius isn't target number 1 so may achieve something like Denver production levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Jesus Julius Thomas for that price is pretty insane.

Jimmy Graham moved as well is pretty surprising. Can't remember a FA this crazy for a while haha

Also really dislike the move of letting Browner go. If Revis goes then our secondary is ass.
Original post by Malevolent
Jesus Julius Thomas for that price is pretty insane.

Jimmy Graham moved as well is pretty surprising. Can't remember a FA this crazy for a while haha

Also really dislike the move of letting Browner go. If Revis goes then our secondary is ass.

Browner is overrated...the amount of penalties he concedes is ridiculous
Original post by Wattsy
I really want to justify his price because I like Dave, at draft time he's guy you want on your side. Only 5M or so is guaranteed I guess so that does make it better, the 9.2 is only 2M more than we're paying Lewis. I need to stop this bull****, I hope he plays like his contract or I fear for Gus and Dave and I like Gus, now with Dave's FA splashes I'm not so sure on him.

Also, if Blackmon returns which I think he will, Julius isn't target number 1 so may achieve something like Denver production levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm.....I still think guys like Dave Caldwell, Thomas Demitroff and Reggie McKenzie should let someone else handle free-agency. They all draft well...but their free agency acquisitions have been questionable. The only excuse is that the Jags and Raiders have to pay through the nose, to entice players to play for the team...the opposite of what New England and Seattle can do, since they have winning cultures.

The Mercedes Lewis deal was a head-scratcher...but I'm fairly ambivalent to the move. Julius, for all of his flaws, is still a good football player to have, and has a very high ceiling.

Blackmon cannot be trusted to be the #1 option. Talented, sure...but Julius Thomas will be Blake Bortles' best friend.
Original post by WhatDoIPutHere?
Browner is overrated...the amount of penalties he concedes is ridiculous

Not in that superbowl. Sure, Browner commits a lot of penalties, and can't be trusted to be on the pitch due to suspensions, but he came up big on a prove it deal in NE....

The rest of the NFL now has to wonder what Belitricks hoodie is plotting...
Bill you better have something up your sleeve because if we go back to the kind of Swiss cheese secondary we had pre Revis I will be thoroughly pissed off...
Bill you better have something up your sleeve because if we go back to the kind of Swiss cheese secondary we had pre Revis I will be thoroughly pissed off...

Antonio Cromartie is in play. 90% of the player that Revis is, at about 40% of the price. The Patriots will probably make a run at him.
Revis to the Jets is done. Wow. And here I was thinking the best case scenario for the Jets would have been to resign Cromartie.
Oh jesus. Swiss cheese secondary here we come :lol:
And seriously the Jets better get hit with some sort of tampering charge. If that was the Patriots who did that we would have been royally ****ed by the media.
Oh jesus. Swiss cheese secondary here we come :lol:

The Jets overpaid for Revis. Big time. Something like $14M in his first few seasons, with a mahoosive guarantee...and then $11m after that. Revis is good...but is now on the wrong side of thirty to lock up to a big contract like that. The contracts for Sherman and Chris Harris Jr., look better and better in comparison.

This makes the decision to not pick up Browner's option more puzzling. Even if he now comes back to the Patriots, it won't be at the cheap, cheap price that it would have been had they picked up the option. Seems like the Pats went all in to get Revis, and now have lost out, big time.

Butler can step up, and Kyle Arrington is still quality depth. Chung and McCourty still compromise the best safety duo west of Seattle. Logan Ryan is young. Cromartie would be available, and it's a decent draft for corners. I might pencil in Marcus Peters back into the first round, going to the Patriots now though...as a direct replacement for Browner, although his character issues would scare me.

And seriously the Jets better get hit with some sort of tampering charge. If that was the Patriots who did that we would have been royally ****ed by the media.

At best, Woody Johnson's remarks were ill-thought out, and at worst, constitute tampering charges. What I got from that though, is that it was an owner who was wistful that his GM let go of one of his best players (so far..that wouldn't necessarily constitute tampering charges).

When he then started then talking about how he wanted to get him back...well...he could well have crossed the line. At the very least, the NFL should investigate it.

I am a bit confused though, because Revis was not a free agent at that particular time. Sure, it was likely that the Patriots would have declined Revis' option anyway...but the power for him to return, or not, ultimately rested with Bill Belichick.
Graham out of the south. Yes.

Quick Reply

Latest