The Student Room Group

i need £5000

recently me and my mother ran into debt and risk of eviction, we exhausted everything we can and i need to get £5000. will student finance give me a £5000 loan if i call them? if not what other ways can i get that money in the next 1-2 weeks. (family and friends can't help, i tried)
Reply 1
Unless you can either earn it, or take out a loan, it will be impossible.
Original post by VannR
Unless you can either earn it, or take out a loan, it will be impossible.
could my uni help me out?
Original post by itsamirbitches
recently me and my mother ran into debt and risk of eviction, we exhausted everything we can and i need to get £5000. will student finance give me a £5000 loan if i call them? if not what other ways can i get that money in the next 1-2 weeks. (family and friends can't help, i tried)

There might be an extremely small chance that they'd help at least somewhat, if they have a hardship fund. A very long shot but maybe also ask them if you can contact some well-to-do alumni?

Other than that a crowdfunding page online my be your best bet, with a video and detailed info explaining the situation emphasising mitigating circumstances etc. Just off the top of my head.
Have you got any family heirlooms you can sell (tough times call for tough measures). You could sell the family silver (cutlery, goblets etc) or sell family jewelry (diamonds, gold, natural pearls etc) or basically any other antiques you own. It's not something you ever want to do but in this situation you have to cash in on your tangible assets!
Reply 5
could my uni help me out?

Universities do not offer financial services to students, or anyone else for that matter.

Here's a serious thought: you could try crowd-funding it. Create some kind of blog explaining your predicament, and I'm sure that there are many people out there that will spare a few pennies to help you out. If 10k people gave 50p, there's the £5k you need, and considering the global audience that the Internet exposes you to, crowd-funding is not as silly an idea as it might seem at first.

But, failing that, you will either have to be evicted or take out a bank loan. This option is difficult both because they are unlikely to give credit to someone who is in financial difficulty, or if they are, you will find it difficult to pay back before the interest mounts up.
Original post by VannR
Universities do not offer financial services to students, or anyone else for that matter.

Here's a serious thought: you could try crowd-funding it. Create some kind of blog explaining your predicament, and I'm sure that there are many people out there that will spare a few pennies to help you out. If 10k people gave 50p, there's the £5k you need, and considering the global audience that the Internet exposes you to, crowd-funding is not as silly an idea as it might seem at first.

But, failing that, you will either have to be evicted or take out a bank loan. This option is difficult both because they are unlikely to give credit to someone who is in financial difficulty, or if they are, you will find it difficult to pay back before the interest mounts up.

where do i go to crowd fund it?
Reply 7
where do i go to crowd fund it?

Crowd-funding is something which I am not well-versed in, but I have heard of stories where people in similar situations to yourself have successfully crowd-funded. Some places to start are:

Indigogo

Kickstarter

Crowdfunder

Trying this could be the only viable option. I advise that you give these sites a thorough look.
Original post by VannR

Actually most Universities will have some variation of an Access to Higher Learning fund or Hardship Fund, which is essentially financial support that they can offer to students either in the form of a loan or a grant if they deem it necessary.

I've known a couple of people who received it. One because he was a 3rd year whose family was not able to provide him with any assistance despite them being high enough earners to stop him being able to get any means tested loans and he was in a position where he couldn't afford his rent for the final 3 months of his degree and would have had to move back home, about 200 miles away, which would have almost guaranteed that he would fail his remaining modules. They gave him a loan to cover that rent which he was required to pay back before he could officially graduate.

The other was almost exactly the same situation regarding his parents finances but was living at home and could no longer afford the commute. The University calculated the cost of his commutes for the rest of the academic year and gave him a 50% grant and 50% loan to cover it.

Most universities can offer financial aid to students in need if there is a genuine reason for needing it.

At the end of the day the University don't want students to have to drop out. If you drop out then they lose at least £9,000 per year of your money, so if they can loan you some money, or even give it to you as a grant, then that expense is worth it to them if it means that you remain at the University for another year or two.

No student finance will not help at all. They simply do not provide that kind of assistance.

Your best bet is to speak to your University. Most Universities now have some kind of Hardship Fund that they are able to use to provide financial aid to students, usually in the form of a loan that must be paid back before the start of the next academic year, but sometimes as a grant. Provided you have a good enough reason to need it they may well be able to provide some support. It won't be near £5k but it might be something.
Original post by mackemforever
No student finance will not help at all. They simply do not provide that kind of assistance.

Your best bet is to speak to your University. Most Universities now have some kind of Hardship Fund that they are able to use to provide financial aid to students, usually in the form of a loan that must be paid back before the start of the next academic year, but sometimes as a grant. Provided you have a good enough reason to need it they may well be able to provide some support. It won't be near £5k but it might be something.

my uni does have a hardship fund. but i need that 5K, if i dont we are going to be screwed...so close to exams swell
http://igg.me/at/p9NMO8ydsfc/x/9455952

hey guys i set up a crowd funder. if you can help spread it through social media and the TSR i would really appreciate it
Original post by VannR
Crowd-funding is something which I am not well-versed in, but I have heard of stories where people in similar situations to yourself have successfully crowd-funded. Some places to start are:

Indigogo

Kickstarter

Crowdfunder

Trying this could be the only viable option. I advise that you give these sites a thorough look.

if you can help promote this it would be amazing
Original post by VannR

if you could promote this it'll be great
Reply 14
if you could promote this it'll be great

I'm not a social media person, or a social person at all, really. I don't know anyone to share this with. You should create a TSR thread and social media posts on FB or whatever to spread the word.

Advice: make the description of your situation more emotive and sympathetic! You have all the details there, but you need to develop the more thoroughly in order to communicate the desperation of your situation. Right now, the description is unlikely to convince anyone that your situation is actually real. I know it is, because of this thread, but people who read this on a social media post need to be more emotionally moved, otherwise they will think it is fake.

P.S Empty pockets, mate; would give if I could!
(edited 9 years ago)

Look at hitachi finance they are quite reasonable I have a loan from them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending