The Student Room Group

Farage against plain cigarette packaging...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by n00
I'd say is more than just persuasion, it's manipulation and deceit, the brute force of ideas into someone´s head.

1) if it is based on actual falsehoods, then they will be sent to court based on contractual misrepresentation.
2) "brute force of ideas" = nonsense. grow up. honesty. this is so immature. if advertisements, to you, are the equivalent to using violence, then you are rather pathetic/hopeless. I'm trying, deliberately, not to insult you here, but this is like as if a person breaks a bone by hearing something they don't like.
Reply 121
Original post by zippity.doodah
1) if it is based on actual falsehoods, then they will be sent to court based on contractual misrepresentation.

:rofl:

Original post by zippity.doodah
2) "brute force of ideas" = nonsense. grow up. honesty. this is so immature. if advertisements, to you, are the equivalent to using violence, then you are rather pathetic/hopeless. I'm trying, deliberately, not to insult you here, but this is like as if a person breaks a bone by hearing something they don't like.

Yeah i didn't expect that one would sit comfortably with your libertarian faith, ah well i'm sure you'll grow out of it one day.
Reply 122
But plain packaging isn't telling people they're not allowed to smoke. :s-smilie:

Hows that? Cigarette packaging isn't exactly difficult to copy.
Original post by n00
Yeah Farage says he's against the war on drugs and claims to be all about liberty but he's still the leader of a party with the most authoritarian drug policies in the country.

Uh, good luck quantifying that.

Original post by n00
He's here fighting for the right of pushers of one drug to be able to use fancy packaging while supporting policy that would not only imprison others simply for possession of far less harmful drugs, but hugely increase those sentences. He's not a libertarian and this isn't about liberty

Where are you getting this information, exactly? Besides, even if that is UKIP policy, there's no reason why his personal beliefs can't be at odds with that.

What do you mean this isn't about liberty? I'm pretty sure this entire thread is based upon a discussion of liberty.

Original post by n00
Oh come off it, one is far, far, far more of an intrusive restriction of liberties than the other, for some reason Farage cares far more for the relatively petty issue of fag packets.

Yes, one is more intrusive than the other, but that distinction isn't relevant to any discussion I have been or want to be part of, and I'm not sure why you bring it up.

Original post by n00
Just trying to get things in perspective. :wink: I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with the tobacco industry making money. I'm a smoker, i've benefited from tobacco sales and would very much like to be able to make money selling other drugs myself, but i'd also be more than happy to rely on the quality of my drugs to do the selling.

So you don't have a problem with the tobacco industry making money, but you would like it if their practices were restricted by the state? That's a big old paradox, friend.

Please, don't pretend you support the cause of freedom. People like you support the use of state-backed violence to guarantee them some 'positive liberties', because they generally lack the imagination and industry to figure out other ways of putting pressure on private companies in the context of a market. Forcing companies into uniform packaging would not increase freedom, it would only diminish it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 124
Original post by BitWindy
Uh, good luck quantifying that.
It's really quite easy, which other party want to get tougher on the enforcement of prohibition?

Where are you getting this information, exactly?

Straight from the horse's mouth, Farage and UKIP head office.

Besides, even if that is UKIP policy, there's no reason why his personal beliefs can't be at odds with that. ]What do you mean this isn't about liberty? I'm pretty sure this entire thread is based upon a discussion of liberty.

I'm questioning Farage's motives.

Yes, one is more intrusive than the other, but that distinction isn't relevant to any discussion
Course it is.

I have been or want to be part of,
Clearly

and I'm not sure why you bring it up.
It shows his inconsistency.

So you don't have a problem with the tobacco industry making money, but you would like it if their practices were restricted by the state?
Yeah, i think you've got it.

That's a big old paradox, friend.
No it isn't.

Please, don't pretend you support the cause of freedom. People like you support the use of state-backed violence to guarantee them some 'positive liberties', because they generally lack the imagination and industry to figure out other ways of putting pressure on private companies in the context of a market. Forcing companies into uniform packaging would not increase freedom, it would only diminish it.

Rubbish, i just don't buy into your faith.
Reply 125
It really isn't.
Reply 126
a study funded by Philip Morris

Tobacco firms argue

In the year to June 2013, accounting firm KPMG estimates that illicit tobacco, whether smuggled, counterfeit or illegal, jumped from 11.8 percent of the Australian tobacco market to 13.3 percent.

Which of course could be down to any number of reasons.

I've unfortunately smoked counterfeit cigarettes, the easiest way to tell you've got counterfeit cigarettes isn't the packaging which is normally extremely convincing, but the cigarettes. They're often loosely packed, use cheap paper, smell odd, the tobacco is full of stalk and odd bits and pieces and burn strangely, if anything the packaging gives a false sense of security.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending