The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
Original post by CD223
Oh I see!

Good luck for your mock! Let me know how it goes!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was pretty good actually! The paper itself wasn't hard I don't think, there are just areas where I haven't done much revision yet. Definitely prefer PHYA5! We'll mark it tomorrow so I'll find out how I've actually done, but I thought it was a nice enough paper (still only need 58 or above for full UMS though!). Didn't do so well on one six marker (haven't revised that bit) but the other one was great.
Reply 501
Original post by Lau14
It was pretty good actually! The paper itself wasn't hard I don't think, there are just areas where I haven't done much revision yet. Definitely prefer PHYA5! We'll mark it tomorrow so I'll find out how I've actually done, but I thought it was a nice enough paper (still only need 58 or above for full UMS though!). Didn't do so well on one six marker (haven't revised that bit) but the other one was great.

That sounds good! I've not revised for unit 5 nearly as much as I should have.

58/75?! That must be a hard paper...I have the marking of my mock EMPA tomorrow. Should be interesting. Real thing is 5 days away :eek:
Reply 502
Original post by CD223
That sounds good! I've not revised for unit 5 nearly as much as I should have.

58/75?! That must be a hard paper...I have the marking of my mock EMPA tomorrow. Should be interesting. Real thing is 5 days away :eek:

I did pretty minimal revision for this but still more than for any other mocks, and I did some revision last week for the astro test so I was pretty prepared for that half of the paper (well, for a mock. Definitely not an acceptable level of preparedness for the actual thing!).

See it wasn't a hard paper, or I didn't think so? I finished easily with twenty minutes to spare even after checking through some things.

Yeah that's worryingly close :redface: fortunately ours is far in the distance :biggrin:
Reply 503
Original post by Lau14
I did pretty minimal revision for this but still more than for any other mocks, and I did some revision last week for the astro test so I was pretty prepared for that half of the paper (well, for a mock. Definitely not an acceptable level of preparedness for the actual thing!).

See it wasn't a hard paper, or I didn't think so? I finished easily with twenty minutes to spare even after checking through some things.

Yeah that's worryingly close :redface: fortunately ours is far in the distance :biggrin:

Oh well it sounds like you did well! Wish I could get this coursework and EMPA out the way so I could just purely revise and not stress haha!
Reply 504
Original post by CD223
Oh well it sounds like you did well! Wish I could get this coursework and EMPA out the way so I could just purely revise and not stress haha!

Hopefully! Better than PHYA4 I think.

Yeah coursework and stuff on top of everything must suck :/
Reply 505
Original post by Lau14
Hopefully! Better than PHYA4 I think.

Yeah coursework and stuff on top of everything must suck :/

Ah nice! How are your notes going ?:smile:
It really does! If only I could rethink my A2 options...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 506
Original post by CD223
Ah nice! How are your notes going ?:smile:
It really does! If only I could rethink my A2 options...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Astro is done, but I left my Physics stuff at home so thermal & nuclear will be next week :smile:

What would you change?
Reply 507
Original post by Lau14
Astro is done, but I left my Physics stuff at home so thermal & nuclear will be next week :smile:

What would you change?

Oh right! I might drop physics Ahah! I'm just not confident at all in it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 508
Original post by CD223
Oh right! I might drop physics Ahah! I'm just not confident at all in it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't change any of mine... maybe if my fifth AS had been something other than biology I would have taken it to A2 but I can't think of anything else I would do anyway.
Reply 509
Ah I couldn't do 5 ASs aha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 510
How does the A* work in physics? Do you have to get an A* in the ISA? I got an A at AS. Thanks.
Reply 511
Original post by imyimy
How does the A* work in physics? Do you have to get an A* in the ISA? I got an A at AS. Thanks.

I'm hoping that its just the two exams you need 90%+ in I know you have to have over 80% as an average over both as and A2. Then you need 90% average in the exams this year :smile: I think that's how it works anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 512
Original post by _Caz_
I'm hoping that its just the two exams you need 90%+ in I know you have to have over 80% as an average over both as and A2. Then you need 90% average in the exams this year :smile: I think that's how it works anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 513
Original post by _Caz_

Posted from TSR Mobile

I bloody hope so or else there's no way I'm getting an A* haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 514
Original post by imyimy

Original post by _Caz_

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need 90% average across all A2 units, and 80% average overall, so yes it does include the practical work as far as I know. You need at least 270/300 UMS in A2, and 480/600 UMS overall.

However if you don't do so well in your practical you can always pull it up to above 90% average using the exams!
Reply 515
Hi guys, I need some help on uncertainty. Some places say its half the smallest increment and others say its just the smallest increment. What do i do?
Reply 516
Original post by Lau14
You need 90% average across all A2 units, and 80% average overall, so yes it does include the practical work as far as I know. You need at least 270/300 UMS in A2, and 480/600 UMS overall.

However if you don't do so well in your practical you can always pull it up to above 90% average using the exams!

thanks!
Reply 517
Original post by Lau14
if you don't do so well in your practical you can always pull it up to above 90% average using the exams!

I ended up in that boat last year. Aha. I got 273/300 (91%) with only 41/60 UMS (a C grade) in the ISA, so I'd be ecstatic if I could repeat that! Something tells me I was just lucky though...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 518
Original post by ilove1d
Hi guys, I need some help on uncertainty. Some places say its half the smallest increment and others say its just the smallest increment. What do i do?

Uncertainty, to my knowledge, is either half the range of readings for a set of readings OR the precision of the measuring instrument for a single reading. Whichever is greatest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 519
Original post by KumarS
I will be sitting the Physics A2 soon and have done the Chemistry A2 isa. I'm willing to trade 'tips' with anyone who has 'tips' on the Physics A2 isa.

Thanks.

How are you finding the theory?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending