The Student Room Group

First year pharmacy student at Aston uni...ask me anything

Umm yeah so any questions about anything or just random stuff...ask away! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by awesomearps
Umm yeah so any questions about anything or just random stuff...ask away! :biggrin:

Is Aston University the most reputable university for Pharmacy?
Reply 2
Original post by Raymat
Is Aston University the most reputable university for Pharmacy?

Umm...as far as I know its number 5 in the whole of the UK so its not the most reputable but its still up there with the best in the country :smile:
Umm...as far as I know its number 5 in the whole of the UK so its not the most reputable but its still up there with the best in the country :smile:

What are your opinions of the new Pharmacy School at the University of Birmingham? Do you think the University of Birmingham will overtake Aston University in terms of popularity for Pharmacy therefore shifting more UCAS applications for Birmingham's Pharmacy School from Aston's Pharmacy School for poeple in and out of Birmingham?
Reply 4
Original post by Raymat
What are your opinions of the new Pharmacy School at the University of Birmingham? Do you think the University of Birmingham will overtake Aston University in terms of popularity for Pharmacy therefore shifting more UCAS applications for Birmingham's Pharmacy School from Aston's Pharmacy School for poeple in and out of Birmingham?

I'll be honest...I haven't heard much about UoB's pharmacy course. But as a whole it is a very good uni (one of the Russell group). I don't think that the new pharmacy school will affect the number of applications that Aston receive cos I know from personal experience I would rather go to a uni with a pharmacy course that has been running for longer. In terms of the pharmacy course itself that Aston is much more reputable than UoB's pharmacy course. Just the fact that you have more stats in terms of success to go by is a big factor.
Reply 5
does Aston uni look at candidates as levels?
What is a typical day like for you?
What did you get for your GCSEs?
Reply 8
Original post by mismash
does Aston uni look at candidates as levels?

Wow sorry for such a late reply...exams have been keeping me busy! Yes they do definitely...and predicted grades, personal statement, how you do in your interview etc etc just like any other uni :smile: Any other questions then message me or quote me :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by lydiafoof
What is a typical day like for you?

Again sorry for such a late reply! Umm it varies, most days have a 9:00am start, a couple of 9-5 days in a month and some days are completely dead (like you might just have a two hour lecture and thats it!) Any other questions the message me or quote me
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Midnightstars
What did you get for your GCSEs?

Sorry bout the late reply again! :biggrin: I got 5 A*s, 6 As and a B :smile: Hope that helps! :smile:
Any other questions then message me or quote me
Reply 11
What grades did you get at A level, and Is it true Aston went into clearing last year for Pharmacy (BBB) entry requirements.
Original post by Frosty_A
What grades did you get at A level, and Is it true Aston went into clearing last year for Pharmacy (BBB) entry requirements.

I got ABB, I honestly thought that I wasn't going to get into Aston and yet here I am :smile:

Yeah Aston did go into clearing last year, but I know people got accepted with offers as low as BBC cos Aston wanted to avoid it. They told us that our year has been the biggest intake for a while. However saying that, I've got a very strong feeling that they're gonna crack down this year, cos they had interviews etc
Reply 13
What sort of Chemistry is taught at aston (first year)?
What sort of Chemistry is taught at aston (first year)?

Chromatography, isomers, racemates, enantiomers, like all the basic structure of the atom stuff (So that's all in first term)
Then in second term we do equlibria, solutions, surface chem, suspensions and emulsions, drug mechanisms, thermodynamics and naming structures :smile:
Reply 15
I got ABB, I honestly thought that I wasn't going to get into Aston and yet here I am :smile:

Yeah Aston did go into clearing last year, but I know people got accepted with offers as low as BBC cos Aston wanted to avoid it. They told us that our year has been the biggest intake for a while. However saying that, I've got a very strong feeling that they're gonna crack down this year, cos they had interviews etc

So Aston will not go into clearing this year?
Chromatography, isomers, racemates, enantiomers, like all the basic structure of the atom stuff (So that's all in first term)
Then in second term we do equlibria, solutions, surface chem, suspensions and emulsions, drug mechanisms, thermodynamics and naming structures :smile:

What do you make of the assertion that the pharmacy job market is saturated? Do you believe that it will be hard to find a pre-reg place/job following graduation? How is the employment rate for Aston pharmacy?
So Aston will not go into clearing this year?

I'm not sure about that at all, I have no idea. What I meant to say is that I think they'll be rejecting more people than last year if they miss the grades, they won't be forgiving like last year every year if you get my drift
Original post by plasmaman
What do you make of the assertion that the pharmacy job market is saturated? Do you believe that it will be hard to find a pre-reg place/job following graduation? How is the employment rate for Aston pharmacy?

Yes I believe that the pharmacy job market is very saturated, but that doesn't stop more pharmacies from opening up as a lot of people will go to the pharmacist if they're still waiting for an appointment with the GP. The role of a pharmacist is changing a lot now, so I think by the time we graduate the job market will have changed hugely.

I think finding any pre-reg wont be easy wherever you go, as long as you apply early and have a clear idea of where you want to go then there's nothing stopping you. I know for a fact that 98% of the students who did their pre-reg exams from Aston uni passed so I guess we can let the stats speak for themselves haha :smile:

I am not sure of the employment rate for pharmacy exactly but I know its pretty high! I know that Aston is now 2nd in the UK for pharmacy so it must be pretty good! :smile: Hope that helps...any other questions the leme know :biggrin:
Yes I believe that the pharmacy job market is very saturated, but that doesn't stop more pharmacies from opening up as a lot of people will go to the pharmacist if they're still waiting for an appointment with the GP. The role of a pharmacist is changing a lot now, so I think by the time we graduate the job market will have changed hugely.

I think finding any pre-reg wont be easy wherever you go, as long as you apply early and have a clear idea of where you want to go then there's nothing stopping you. I know for a fact that 98% of the students who did their pre-reg exams from Aston uni passed so I guess we can let the stats speak for themselves haha :smile:

I am not sure of the employment rate for pharmacy exactly but I know its pretty high! I know that Aston is now 2nd in the UK for pharmacy so it must be pretty good! :smile: Hope that helps...any other questions the leme know :biggrin:

Fair enough, I suppose the fact that the degree is vocational helps a lot. But I was considering pharmacy and felt concerned because people were talking about how there are far too many graduates and not enough jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending