The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

So gutted after tonight, Chelsea are gonna go unbeaten and do the quadruple!
****ing Costa/Oscar & Co forever cheating and barging, how was Ibra's foul a red card?
these past 3 days were 1 schalke goal away from being litterally the perfect 3 days of football ever.

Arsenal beating united in a great game...
Schalke beating madrid and scoring 4 goals...
Chelsea loosing by away goals to a team with 10 men...

(bonus.. bayern putting 7 past shaktar)
(double bonus.. porto scoring 4 beauties)

Just that one last goal sending schalke through. and it would have been so good..
Original post by fallen_acorns
cant help it. as much as I know its best for arsenal if chelsea win tonight - I just want to see them knocked out more then anything..

chelsea loose to PSG, and arsenal beat monaco 3-0 :coma:

To good to be true

At least we have that already!!! :lol:
This has just confirmed that the EPL is miles behing the other leagues. We used to think our league was the best in the world but its not even as good as Ligue 1. Next week is going to be difficult and I dont think we'll make it but I'll be hoping we go through as we need atleast one english team representing in the quarters but not one that dives everywhere and brings down the reputation of english teams. I also hope City can overturn Barca esp now they have Toure back.
Scenes if we beat Monaco and City also lose. Sceeeeeeeeennnes.
Original post by Numan786
This has just confirmed that the EPL is miles behing the other leagues. We used to think our league was the best in the world but its not even as good as Ligue 1. Next week is going to be difficult and I dont think we'll make it but I'll be hoping we go through as we need atleast one english team representing in the quarters but not one that dives everywhere and brings down the reputation of english teams. I also hope City can overturn Barca esp now they have Toure back.

Of course the EPL is miles behind the teams have no youth development all they do is buy buy buy! The league needs a reform to force the teams into developing their academies otherwise the league will continue to fail again and again. City has no chance against Barcelona they will never go to the Nou Camp and score 2 and even if they do Barca will score at least 2 also.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy

Then get knocked out the next round :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good to see that little **** boy Soler go into hiding again tonight.
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Then get knocked out the next round :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well yeah, the party was always going to end there. We could still hold on to the 'English team to go furthest in Champions League' trophy though. Boy that's really really sad. Can't believe I just said that but I'm posting it anyway :getmecoat: :colonhash:
Agree with Rooney, PSG's 10 man performance is one of the best we have seen.

Original post by Arkasia

Exactly, surely a record? Oh and also this means that PSG have won 5 out of 6 games where they've played with ten men.

Original post by Tom_Ford

I love this :lol:
Original post by al_94
Of course the EPL is miles behind the teams have no youth development all they do is buy buy buy! The league needs a reform to force the teams into developing their academies otherwise the league will continue to fail again and again. City has no chance against Barcelona they will never go to the Nou Camp and score 2 and even if they do Barca will score at least 2 also.

I agree teams need to put more into developing youth. Nah City do have a chance if they turn it on and play like champions. Tbh they're the only english team left in it who can realistically win it and I think if they got over the mental block of the KOR16 then they will get confidence and can go onto win it. This is demonstrated by their performance at Bayern.
Original post by Arkasia

I actually think Barca at ten men play better as even though they're down a man they will still dominate games against every opposition bar Bayern.

Reactionary *******s. Ligue 1 is terrible, and the only reason PSG aren't storming away with it is because they have been equally as terrible, not equally as good. Madrid, supposedly the greatest club team in world football, shipped 4 goals to a team they pummelled last season, and are doing awfully in their domestic. We won't even mention the pit of boredom and despair that is Serie A. If there are two leagues that can possibly claim to be better, it's the Bundesliga and La Liga, and even then Bayern have a monopoly on the competition (the next best team, Wolfsburg, couldn't beat Everton from what I remember). The premier league probably has the greatest average teams, by which I mean the average PL team could beat the average other league team, and the worst prem teams are not as bad as the worst Spanish, German, or Italian teams. The problem is that we no longer have any stand-out teams. We used to have United, Liverpool and Arsenal, but now the league peaks at Chelsea, who quite clearly are not in the very select elite of Europe. The EPL is miles behind the top teams in Europe, of which there are a handful, but it is not behind their respective leagues.
Exactly, surely a record? Oh and also this means that PSG have won 5 out of 6 games where they've played with ten men.

I love this :lol:

Well if they sign Di Maria in the summer, at least they will have had practice at going down to ten men.

I actually think Barca at ten men play better as even though they're down a man they will still dominate games against every opposition bar Bayern.

TBF, Barca dominate every team in their league bar the Madrids. When you have Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, and Rakitic (not to mention the others), you could dominate them with 8 players, let alone 10. Not sure Barca could do it in Europe against a team like Chelsea though, depends on who gets sent off.
Original post by Arkasia
Well if they sign Di Maria in the summer, at least they will have had practice at going down to ten men.

TBF, Barca dominate every team in their league bar the Madrids. When you have Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, and Rakitic (not to mention the others), you could dominate them with 8 players, let alone 10. Not sure Barca could do it in Europe against a team like Chelsea though, depends on who gets sent off.

I'm sure I've seen them do it europe :confused:
For Monaco

Bellerin Koscielny Gabriel Monreal
Ramsey Cazorla
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Giroud

Play a ludicrously high line for the first half with Gabriel/Koscielny basically playing at CM. Early goal and hopefully 1-0 by half time. Important thing is to start scoring, 1-1 by half time wouldnt be a big deal or change the calculus much. Second half take it easy and aim to go into the last 10minutes needing a goal to survive. Can bring on Welbeck etc if/when we thrown the kitchen sink at it.

Probably a 25% chance of getting through that way, should be fun!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
For Monaco

Bellerin Koscielny Gabriel Monreal
Ramsey Cazorla
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Giroud

Play a ludicrously high line for the first half with Gabriel/Koscielny basically playing at CM. Early goal and hopefully 1-0 by half time. Second half take it easy and aim to go into the last 10minutes needing a goal to survive.

Probably a 25% chance of getting through that way.

Nah need

Wilshere-Coquelin-Cazorla-Sanchez
Giroud
Walcott

or

Coquelin-Ramsey
Walcott-Cazorla-Sanchez
Giroud/Welbeck

No ozil on the wing plz need to go all out and put some scorers in this side. Cazorla should take a shot whenever he is on the edge of the box or just outside. Arshavin could be used here :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest