The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College Medical Applicants 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by s.hodgkinson2222
Hey everyone,
I'm currently in year 12, and I'm looking at all of your stats, they're incred. My GCSEs went badly 3a*s 8as, so my oxbridge dreams are crushed aha, but for Imperial (amazing university which I am very keen on), do a*s at GCSE matter that much?

No in a nutshell
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Hey everyone,
I'm currently in year 12, and I'm looking at all of your stats, they're incred. My GCSEs went badly 3a*s 8as, so my oxbridge dreams are crushed aha, but for Imperial (amazing university which I am very keen on), do a*s at GCSE matter that much?

Those GCSE grades aren't bad! In terms of Oxbridge you could probably still try for Cambridge - they don't put too much emphasis on GCSEs but instead you would ideally need to average around 90 ums at AS level to get to interview stage

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by notthatquiet
Those GCSE grades aren't bad! In terms of Oxbridge you could probably still try for Cambridge - they don't put too much emphasis on GCSEs but instead you would ideally need to average around 90 ums at AS level to get to interview stage

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know but with those gcses you would be looking at closer to 95% ums average to stand a good chance
Hey everyone,

Hey, I had 4 A* and 5 A and I went to a very underperforming school and Oxford rejected me but then again my ums for AS was around 89% so I don't think I met that either but Oxford put such a massive emphasis on GCSE's and for medicine the average is about 10.1 A*s so I wouldn't advise you making the same mistake I did. Cambridge on the other hand don't put as much emphasis so I would deffo give it a go! One of my friends with similar stats to me got an interview for cambridge so you're in for a good chance Hope that helped!!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bharathy129
Hey, I had 4 A* and 5 A and I went to a very underperforming school and Oxford rejected me but then again my ums for AS was around 89% so I don't think I met that either but Oxford put such a massive emphasis on GCSE's and for medicine the average is about 10.1 A*s so I wouldn't advise you making the same mistake I did. Cambridge on the other hand don't put as much emphasis so I would deffo give it a go! One of my friends with similar stats to me got an interview for cambridge so you're in for a good chance Hope that helped!!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for replying so quickly! Yes it deff helped. I heard the same, I mean about Oxford Vs. Cambridge, but in all honesty I would just love to get into A med school :') considering how hard it is to get in anywhere.
Original post by Master219
I remember u!! Just visualise this: u enter the student union room looking forward, so u walk in and turn to face the registration desk on the right. Right behind that registration desk facing away on the sofa, ur sitting in the left hand corner of that sofa (am I right? Next to that other girl who I think was Chinese... Or at least she was on that sofa before) then there is a sofa perpendicular to the corner that ur sitting on and I was sitting on that sofa on the corner. So pretty much right next to u on the next sofa lol...

Applied to cambridge, Kings and barts. I think I spoke to u abt barts interview...?

howd u find ur interview? I think I asked u when U walked back into the Union room

Yes! I remember you now!!! Lol great description and you're right - I was sitting in that corner

Well I think it went well in general but there was a part of the interview where I went a bit off topic from the question but they kind of laughed it off? I hoped they liked me enough though... :/

What about your interview? Did it go well? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2026
Original post by Futuremedic2096
I don't know but with those gcses you would be looking at closer to 95% ums average to stand a good chance

Cambridge medicine have an average of around 97-98 for the good college. I got pooled (and made an offer- but a different college) because my 95 UMS wasnt high enough (??)
Original post by liass
Cambridge medicine have an average of around 97-98 for the good college. I got pooled (and made an offer- but a different college) because my 95 UMS wasnt high enough (??)

Yes you're supporting my point
I don't think 90 is anywhere near good enough
Original post by tmahmud
Yes! I remember you now!!! Lol great description and you're right - I was sitting in that corner

Well I think it went well in general but there was a part of the interview where I went a bit off topic from the question but they kind of laughed it off? I hoped they liked me enough though... :/

What about your interview? Did it go well? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol gr8

Nah man ull be fine, my interview was not the best, but not horrible either, i mean they asked me a wierd q abt teamwork... the ethical q (especially the follow up q on it) was wtf. dont think it was gd enough but hopefully!

Anyways, gd luck!! :smile:
Original post by Master219
lol gr8

Nah man ull be fine, my interview was not the best, but not horrible either, i mean they asked me a wierd q abt teamwork... the ethical q (especially the follow up q on it) was wtf. dont think it was gd enough but hopefully!

Anyways, gd luck!! :smile:

Thanks, I'm sure you did fine - everyone got different ethics questions (with varying difficulty) so I'm sure they don't expect applicants to get it a hundred percent correct! Good luck to you too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Imperial being a science university, do you think they will still have arts and drama societies?
For example poets society or a literature society? I'm quite scared that all the activities and social events are homed in to science and would be different compared to other unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dinosaurus_Rex
Imperial being a science university, do you think they will still have arts and drama societies?
For example poets society or a literature society? I'm quite scared that all the activities and social events are homed in to science and would be different compared to other unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No of course they do
Light opera for instance
Just got an offer from Imperial via track! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tmahmud
Just got an offer from Imperial via track! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations! :smile:
Offer via track! Is this a joKe?!

Edit: had my interview on the 4th
(edited 9 years ago)
Just got an offer via track!
Had my interview on the 3rd of March
Reply 2036
Just got an offer via track!, had my interview on the 4th.
Original post by usycool1
Congratulations! :smile:

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congrats everyone! I got an offer too! :biggrin: Interview was on the 4th

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2039
offer via track .interview on 4th.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending