The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Clai

Although I kind of agree with you about the rote learning point, particularly for subjects like biology and maths where you need to memorise terminology and derivations et cetera, you do still need to have some understanding of what is going on. At least, you do if you want to to well at A2, and you certainly will need to at university-level.

You memorise maths? :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
This is a smart mans reply ☝️. Some clever words being used.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But not the point of the discussion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by umutalberts
But not the point of the discussion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chill out, don't go after me just because you just got roasted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You memorise maths? :facepalm:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Well yeah I memorised Simpson's rule so I didn't have to go to the formula booklet to copy it out during the exam.
Original post by aprocrastinator
Bit random, but is it true you have to write essays for Medicine?

Yeah, but they're not very long. There's a first year medic on my floor in college and she has a few each week I think but they're nothing like what I have for MML. It seems to be more about explaining different things, and making sure you understand a particular aspect or whatever.
Original post by Clai

Although I kind of agree with you about the rote learning point, particularly for subjects like biology and maths where you need to memorise terminology and derivations et cetera, you do still need to have some understanding of what is going on. At least, you do if you want to to well at A2, and you certainly will need to at university-level.

Well I know people who just memorise a set way to do things.

They'll probably get As, although idk will see
Lol that's exactly what I said - languages and artsy stuff is harder than science and maths, but because science involves a lot of rote learning you have to devote more time to do that learning. Understanding science is a joke, memorising the facts is erroneous and time consuming. With languages and history you either own it or you don't, and I would assume that those studying them at Cambridge of all places own it big time. Hence, the logical conclusion would be that sciences are slightly more time-consuming, which is pretty evident at A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Meh, science you just get taught it. And don't really forget it, it's logical. So don't really need to revise sciences. Same with maths.
Original post by Paralove
Yeah, but they're not very long. There's a first year medic on my floor in college and she has a few each week I think but they're nothing like what I have for MML. It seems to be more about explaining different things, and making sure you understand a particular aspect or whatever.

Ah that sounds alright then! I never liked writing artsy essays :colondollar:
Original post by aprocrastinator
Ah that sounds alright then! I never liked writing artsy essays :colondollar:

Hahaha, well, they're not tooooo bad but I didn't do any literature based study during A-Level, so it's a new concept for me. I haven't exactly struggled but things like picking things from secondary reading and structuring are new skills I've certainly learnt how to use better!

If you want more of an idea of the life of a medic, there's a second year medic in our #CambTweet accounts, @cambtweetmedic. There are about 12 subjects at the moment, but we're hoping to add more soon! And there should be a Q&A hour in a few weeks on twitter too, though that's yet to be confirmed. In the meantime, feel free to tweet at us for any queries! :biggrin:
Have u got an offer or are you waiting to apply for 2016 entry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have an offer :smile:
Original post by Paralove
Hahaha, well, they're not tooooo bad but I didn't do any literature based study during A-Level, so it's a new concept for me. I haven't exactly struggled but things like picking things from secondary reading and structuring are new skills I've certainly learnt how to use better!

If you want more of an idea of the life of a medic, there's a second year medic in our #CambTweet accounts, @cambtweetmedic. There are about 12 subjects at the moment, but we're hoping to add more soon! And there should be a Q&A hour in a few weeks on twitter too, though that's yet to be confirmed. In the meantime, feel free to tweet at us for any queries! :biggrin:

Ah well, I generally like to avoid them completely (hence doing a full science A-Level set). That's why I was a little worried when I heard that they set essays for Medicine, but scientific essays sound more fun and probably something I should get used to should I ever become an academic!

I follow the medic already actually! But I didn't know a Q&A was coming up, I shall definitely keep my eyes peeled for that!! :O
Wooh.
Cambridge has been firmed abd warwick as insurance. This is exciting!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wooh.
Cambridge has been firmed abd warwick as insurance. This is exciting!

Imperial?
Original post by Elcor
Imperial?

Got rejected yesterday ! Shocked but oh well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was the chem and drama :tongue:

Why did it shock you though?
Original post by L'Evil Fish
It was the chem and drama :tongue:

Why did it shock you though?

Lol
I thought i got around 70 in the MAT after looking at the official solutions which gets atleast an interview at oxford and 71 was the average mark for all people with offers at oxford. Also because I wanted one lol.
I am awaiting my feedback, lets see what they say.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unlucky! You're meeting your STEP offer for Cambridge anyway... no matter what.

:frown:
Original post by Elcor
Unlucky! You're meeting your STEP offer for Cambridge anyway... no matter what.

I wish I was this confident. Lets hope i meet the cambridge offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I understand how Riot Club got a 6/10
Original post by EHZ17
I understand how Riot Club got a 6/10

Load of **** right. Etoners and Harrovians ey 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending