The Student Room Group

UKIP drug policy.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by n00
Exactly, UKIP don't want to roll back drug laws, they want to get tougher at enforcing drug laws.

For now perhaps, but it's not an important issue yet in the grand scheme of things, the NIMBY's who are almost anti-everything are needed to get UKIP into government, once UKIP gets in and fixes everything and gains widespread support, the NIMBY's can be forgotten and many lost freedoms can be regained.

That's all unless Farage opens the debate up and tackles the NIMBY's head on along with the other libertarians in the party, NIMBY's base their opinions on ignorance so it's not hard to counter.
Reply 41
Original post by otester
For now perhaps, but it's not an important issue yet in the grand scheme of things, the NIMBY's who are almost anti-everything are needed to get UKIP into government, once UKIP gets in and fixes everything and gains widespread support, the NIMBY's can be forgotten and many lost freedoms can be regained.

That's all unless Farage opens the debate up and tackles the NIMBY's head on along with the other libertarians in the party, NIMBY's base their opinions on ignorance so it's not hard to counter.

:rofl:
They're the only party that want more authoritarian drug laws.
Original post by n00
:rofl:
They're the only party that want more authoritarian drug laws.

Perhaps look at how Big Business treats legalization, in particular the food and drinks industry and pharmaceutical.

UKIP does not need more enemies for the time being.
Original post by otester
Perhaps look at how Big Business treats legalization, in particular the food and drinks industry and pharmaceutical.

So UKIP are too weak to stand up for the people against big business?
Original post by DaveSmith99
So UKIP are too weak to stand up for the people against big business?

They don't have unlimited funds to fight every battle all the time.

Then you have a media which is almost completely hostile to them...
Original post by otester
They don't have unlimited funds to fight every battle all the time.

Then you have a media which is almost completely hostile to them...

Why does favouring more liberal drug policies cost money?

The only party that can be described as having anything like a favourable press is the tories, so this is not a problem for UKIP alone.
Reply 46
Original post by otester

Woah there, shouldn't you keep that quiet, big business won't fall for it if you go blurting it out.
(edited 9 years ago)
Why does favouring more liberal drug policies cost money?

The only party that can be described as having anything like a favourable press is the tories, so this is not a problem for UKIP alone.

The money would be necessary to counter the inevitable flak from the Big Businesses I mentioned previously.

Original post by n00
Woah there, shouldn't you keep that quite, big business won't fall for it if you go blurting it out.

Unless it becomes official policy they can't do much beyond funding existing anti-UKIP programs, which I suspect they already do considering Nigel's comments and their typical pro-EU stance (cheap labour, only one entity to lobby for the entire continent, tax avoidance/evasion).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by otester
Unless it becomes official policy they can't do much beyond funding existing anti-UKIP programs, which I suspect they already do considering Nigel's comments.

So why not just make it official policy?
Original post by n00
So why not just make it official policy?

I mentioned above already about the NIMBY's.

Then you have the extra flak from Big Business.
Original post by otester
The money would be necessary to counter the inevitable flak from the Big Businesses I mentioned previously.

Why? Why does getting invited onto the daily politics or newsnight to discuss your policy require loads of money? Why is this exposure not good for UKIP? It has been for them so far.
Farage disagrees with the war on drugs, his party opposed what he said though, so the answer is no one is really sure yet, their manifesto will cover it hopefully.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by otester
I mentioned above already about the NIMBY's.

Why would that require them to be more authoritarian than all the others?

Original post by otester
Then you have the extra flak from Big Business.

But you just said they're already getting it. :s-smilie:
Why? Why does getting invited onto the daily politics or newsnight to discuss your policy require loads of money? Why is this exposure not good for UKIP? It has been for them so far.

I am referring to the hostile response from across the media spectrum.

Original post by n00
Why would that require them to be more authoritarian than all the others?

But you just said they're already getting it. :s-smilie:

It's the result of getting the NIMBY vote, a pinch of authoritarianism, in order to make gains in other more important areas.

There is only so much they can do with the existing programs, without opening up a new front.
Original post by otester
I am referring to the hostile response from across the media spectrum.

Why do UKIP not have the money to change policy to one the media will not like? Where are these exhuberent costs incurred?
Why do UKIP not have the money to change policy to one the media will not like? Where are these exhuberent costs incurred?

I mean the cost required in order to balance the 'playing field' enough to counter the hostile response.

The mainstream media is almost an extension of the LibLabCon.
Original post by otester
I mean the cost required in order to balance the 'playing field' enough to counter the hostile response.

The mainstream media is almost an extension of the LibLabCon.

But what specifically is this cost? The only cost I can see is preparing for media appearances and getting to the TV stuido, this is a tiny, tiny cost and and UKIP would be more than happy to pay it for the chance to appear on the TV.

How is the media an extension of LibLabCon? Labour and the lib dems have one/two papers each that support them, UKIP has one paper (the express) and the other 80 odd percent are tory. If anything the tory media are far more hostile to labour than they are UKIP, they've even gone as far as front page, personal attacks on Milibands dead father.
But what specifically is this cost? The only cost I can see is preparing for media appearances and getting to the TV stuido, this is a tiny, tiny cost and and UKIP would be more than happy to pay it for the chance to appear on the TV.

How is the media an extension of LibLabCon? Labour and the lib dems have one/two papers each that support them, UKIP has one paper (the express) and the other 80 odd percent are tory. If anything the tory media are far more hostile to labour than they are UKIP, they've even gone as far as front page, personal attacks on Milibands dead father.

I mean setting up media to counter the existing empire.

While they may nit pick on the LibLabCon, the general direction remains the same, more control, more centralization of power.
Original post by otester

So in order to change drug policy UKIP need to establish their own media organisations?

While they may nit pick on the LibLabCon, the general direction remains the same, more control, more centralization of power.

This doesn't even make sense.
Original post by otester

So in order to do as they wish, UKIP need to become part of the establishment.

Or set up their own establishment?

This is all very interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest