The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sr234
Firmimg LSE and I think I'll insure Warwick should I get an offer, if not I can't see myself putting Bristol as my insurance anymore:/ wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably firm notts, idek about insurance
Reply 3341
What did you guys think of the UCL offer holders' talk? It's convinced me to firm UCL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pat.bateman
Probably firm notts, idek about insurance

Why not UCL?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think I should risk missing the a* if I end up doing really well then I'll take a gap year
Original post by Princepieman
Nope, you don't even need to do Econ to get into banking or even most grad schemes.

It's ranked 8th most targeted on the LinkedIn rankings for IB - just below Durham and Manchester but above Bath, Bristol and King's.

Surely it would be stupid to firm Nottingham with AAB and put one of the other two as insurance with AAA?
I don't think I should risk missing the a* if I end up doing really well then I'll take a gap year

That's just silly IMHO. A gap years not really just a casual thing first of all. Secondly, why think so negatively? They gave u an offer so I'm sure you're capable of getting the A* if u revise hard. Also if you put UCL as ur firm, and miss it, just go to your insurance. If you don't like the insurance, only then should you take a gap year.
Also, UCL is better than Notts

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Finally received all my offers (conditional) any suggestions on what to firm/insurance?
LSE, UCL, Warwick, Nottingham, Edinburgh (all for straight Econ)
Thanks in advance!!! really appreciate it :biggrin: (i'm an international student by the way)
(edited 9 years ago)

I agree with the above post.. unless you do prefer Notts over UCL. They gave you an offer for a reason! I do remember at the open day it was mentioned that they can be quite lenient if you firm them, but this would probably also depend on how many people miss their offer. I would personally take the risk and firm UCL and just try really hard to get the A*:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by fredhovis
Surely it would be stupid to firm Nottingham with AAB and put one of the other two as insurance with AAA?

No, it wouldn't.

If you want to go to a university (and it turns out its a better uni) with lower entry reqs you firm it. Entry reqs don't mean much, especially when the difference is a grade.

Plus, if you get less than AAB, you probably wouldn't have gotten into the AAA uni anyway.

EDIT: Another thing to add is that some unis advertise really high entry reqs but take people in with much lower grades in the end. So in that respect as well, insuring an apparent AAA offer might not be as silly as you think it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
No, it wouldn't.

If you want to go to a university (and it turns out its a better uni) with lower entry reqs you firm it. Entry reqs don't mean much, especially when the difference is a grade.

Plus, if you get less than AAB, you probably wouldn't have gotten into the AAA uni anyway.

EDIT: Another thing to add is that some unis advertise really high entry reqs but take people in with much lower grades in the end. So in that respect as well, insuring an apparent AAA offer might not be as silly as you think it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice! Only thing putting me off Industrial Economics at Nottingham is that it's not on the main campus (Jubilee Campus)... don't know what difference that will make when I'm there, does anyone know much about it?
Original post by sr234
I agree with the above post.. unless you do prefer Notts over UCL. They gave you an offer for a reason! I do remember at the open day it was mentioned that they can be quite lenient if you firm them, but this would probably also depend on how many people miss their offer. I would personally take the risk and firm UCL and just try really hard to get the A*:smile:

I see what you mean. I think I might just risk it, I'd probably regret going to notts if I get the A*. Did they mention when they'd send out the offers?
I see what you mean. I think I might just risk it, I'd probably regret going to notts if I get the A*. Did they mention when they'd send out the offers?

Yh you should receive your offer on track 1-2 weeks after you've attended the open day. I think I got mine a week after so not too long a wait:tongue:
Original post by fredhovis
Thanks for the advice! Only thing putting me off Industrial Economics at Nottingham is that it's not on the main campus (Jubilee Campus)... don't know what difference that will make when I'm there, does anyone know much about it?

I'll be there for Computer Science and I can vouch that it is an exceptionally beautiful campus. The architecture is very modern and you can find people about.

I've personally applied to university park (for 2015 entry) as my first choice for accommodation because there are more students there and the atmosphere feels a bit more social. Getting to Jubilee is really easy as there is a hopper bus every 15 minutes or just a 10 minute walk.

It would be cool to see you on campus this September! :biggrin:
Original post by sr234
Yh you should receive your offer on track 1-2 weeks after you've attended the open day. I think I got mine a week after so not too long a wait:tongue:

Sooner the better :tongue: I can't deny that living in London looks really appealing
Sooner the better :tongue: I can't deny that living in London looks really appealing

Sure does (bar the expense):awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr234
Sure does (bar the expense):awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I might have to get a real job :frown:
Reply 3356
Original post by alllisx
Finally received all my offers (conditional) any suggestions on what to firm/insurance?
LSE, UCL, Warwick, Nottingham, Edinburgh (all for straight Econ)
Thanks in advance!!! really appreciate it :biggrin: (i'm an international student by the way)

Which did u just hear from?

Firm LSE insure edinburgh
I might have to get a real job :frown:

Ah I think i'm just going to rely on student loans:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr234
Ah I think i'm just going to rely on student loans:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You reckon that'll be enough???
You reckon that'll be enough???

Probably not tbh:cry:
Lots of people get away with just relying on loans whilst studying in London so we should be fine, just need to economize I guess:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending